• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A little help with Wolf.

RebelWithACoz

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I've been using Wolf for a while now and i'm starting to get quite good, by a certain standard anyway. I'm conforatbly taking out lvl 6 CPUs and so far online has been too laggy for me to get a decent game going.

One problem i'm having is what to do when my opponent is hanging off the edge and i'm on the platform. Tried a couple of things such as down smash, and trying to catch them with an up smash, doesn't seem to work too well. The temporary invulnrability they have when coming up screws me all up lol.

Also, i'm tripping all the time! lol. I seem to do it alot, i "twich" back and forth quite alot, doing very short dashes, could that be it?

Anyone that can offer their 2 cents would be appreciated. Also any Wolf Pros out there that wouldn't mind brawling me at some point to show me some pointers, my FC is on my sig, PM me :)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Might seem like a silly question, but what's "Shield Grabbing"? I think i know but wouldn't like to guess :p

teekay

Smash Journeyman
For the record, playing against the CPU will you make you do worse against human opponents. They do things a human player never will and vice versa, so you'll be training yourself to look for and react to things that you shouldn't.

When your opponent is hanging on the edge you've already failed to edge guard them. What you should be doing is jumping off the edge while they are trying to get back to it, and nailing them so they are sent farther away.

In Brawl, there are several really good characters, most notably Snake and Metaknight, who you will face often and against whom this technique is rarely ever effective, because their recovery options are so absurdly good. But you should still practice jumping off stage, knocking people away (back air is the most commonly used move for this) and then returning to the ledge.

If you do fail to successfully edge guard and the opponent is hanging on the ledge, try to react to the tactics they use to pull back up. They might just climb back on with an attack, or they might jump or roll. As soon as you see them doing something, space yourself properly so that when they're finished doing it, you'll be sitting in the right position to hit them off again and keep the pressure up.

Shield grabbing is when you shield an attack, and then press A while you've got your shield up so you grab your attacker. It's often the fastest way you have available to punish an incoming attack that you've managed to shield. This is something you should focus on learning very quickly for any character, it's bread & butter Smash tactics.

I also recommend checking out the Wolf guide stickied at the top of this forum.

RebelWithACoz

Smash Rookie
Wow thanks so much for your input. I've been practicing more and more with my Bair attack, it's great when i pull it off i just need practice.

As for playing versus human opponants, my selection is rather limited :p I mostly play with my GF, who is actually getting very good with kirby (little marshmallow <bad word>)

I'm a big fan of spiking, nothing more satisfying, but risky. Normally to edge guard i'd wait till they just about grab on and Dair then to their doom, but if i miss, i'm kinda pwnt :p Failing that i try to Edgehog, to do this i've been jumping once down off the ledge and using my double jump to grab on, is there an easier and less risky way to do this? lol

Yeah i had a look at the guide, read it carefully :p it's excellent.

Top Bottom