• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A little analysis on Doctor Mario, making him a bit more viable in competitive playyhap

H.O.U.S.E.

Smash Rookie
NNID
acrenator
Doctor Mario was my main in Melee, so when I saw him come back in Sm4sh I was hyped and wanted to try him out again.

After playing for a bit I started to get angry at his horrible recovery, but after playing him more I found out some ways to get past that.

The first important thing to know about is the DOCTOR'S SHEET, his Side B or just the Cape. Seeing as it doesn't stall, it ruins his already awful vertical recovery from afar. Closer to the edge, however, the Cape extends the distance from which Doc can grab the ledge or makes it easier to grab it.

Doc also has a wall jump that will help you a lot in some of the FD versions os stages that have walls underneath them, such as Wily's Castle, for example. This together with a B-reversed Up-B will improve the Doctor's recovery.

Now for the attacking part:
A lot of people use or at least used in previous games Mario's B-reversed fireballs after running as a means of getting closer to the opponent. Personally, I use Doc's Cape after short hopping because it doesn't stall and it reverses any incoming projectile. Also, if I get close enough to the opponent using this method the cape turns the opponent around and his attack or grab too.
Other than the Cape, Doc's Nair is really good to use once you get closer to your opponent

If the opponent is rushing towards Doc and attacking him without giving you much option, you'd want to Up-B out of shield push him away and get a KO at higher percents.

His Down Smash and the Tornado are great punishing tools. The D-Smash is really quick and insanely strong, so it's good for punishing some roll happy people. The Tornado can punish Spot Dodges because it lasts a lot and you can Air Dodge into Tornado if you're not too close to the ground.

For combos a D-Throw to Uair or Nair is good to rack up some damage and if you time it right you can string a D-Tilt into a F-Smash. His jabs are really strong and fast so they're good to catch an opponent off guard.

For edguarding I recommend not going too far out of the stage and pretty much just stay near the edge and use a good Fair, Bair or Dair when the opponent tries to recover. Also, using the Cape to invert a recovery is hilarious and amazing when you pull it off.

I guess that's all I have to say so thank you for reading and please point out anything that I may have gotten wrong. I hope this guide helped you in some way or another.

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
The bit about his cape extending his grab range to the ledge is very interesting. I personally play doc defensively, forcing my opponent to approach. D-throw has a lot more options besides uair and nair, you can also get dair and bair off. A straight up upB is risky to use, and should be used to punish. Grabbing is a good punish tool, since his dthrow combo game is ridiculous. Other than that, I like the info you provided.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Approaching with cape is risky, because it's not hard to see coming and punish as well. Cape does autosnap the ledge, but I'll test it to see if the edge sweetspot is longer than Doc's UpB (Which has a pretty forgiving edge sweetspot).

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
doctor mario had like the second worst recovery in Melee lol so it's strange that this would be what made you angry if you used to main him

H.O.U.S.E.

Smash Rookie
NNID
acrenator
doctor mario had like the second worst recovery in Melee lol so it's strange that this would be what made you angry if you used to main him
It's more that everyone's recovery in this game was pretty much buffed, except for his. I mean, it's almost at Little Mac levels of recovery, so it annoyed me a lot, especially when I compared it to Mario's.

Top Bottom