• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A guide to Jigglypuff's platform slides and jab locks

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
A guide to platform and jab locks by Koji

Intro
Hey, Koji here. Two weeks ago I saw this: https://twitter.com/SpookyBox/status/667868743343587328 and got inspired, so I hit the lab to research what kind of stuff you could do with the platform slide mechanic.

What is a jab lock?
A jab lock is when your opponent misses a tech and is hit by a (usually) weak move and forces them to do a neutral getup. This basically grants you a free hit.

What is a platform slide?
When you hit an opponent on a platform with a move that would usually jab lock and they slide of the ledge, they are forced into tumble. After falling for a short distance, they're free to do whatever they want, but on some stages, they hit the ground before this distance is traveled. After sliding off a platform you can't tech and this gives opportunities for a jab lock.

Here's an example of what you can do with platform slides and locks

Which of Jigglypuff's moves can "lock"?

In brawl Jigglypuff could lock with jab1 and jab2, which was pretty nice. In smash 4 there's a whole load of moves that can lock, but they only work within certain damage ranges. Disclaimer: These numbers are affected by rage and staling.
  • 0% : Sweet spot nair (can lock until 2% on heavies) and all of the ones below.
  • ~7% : Sweet spot fair (±3% depending on weight), forward smash (2% on Jigglypuff and 9% on Bowser) and all the ones below.
  • ~14% : Sweet spot dash attack (±4% depending on weight) and all the ones below.
  • ~31% : Ftilt (±8% depending on weight) and all the ones below.
  • ~37% : Sour spot fair (±6% depending on weight) and all the ones below.
  • ~39% : Sour spot dash attack (±7% depending on weight) and all the ones below.
  • Any % : Down smash and first 8 hits of dair. To lock with dair you need to hit with the top of Jigglypuff's legs and inside her body, look at the example video to see how it's done.
These numbers aren't that accurate, so I made a table with all the data for at what %s you could slide people off the platform and when ftilt and sour spot fair locks. The table can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/ahjjiK7.png?1
Explanations for the table: It's sorted by slide%, which is determined by weight it seems. For some characters slide% and fair lock% is not the same, and I don't really know why. Little Mac seems like he has high friction and this makes him slide shorter, this makes him harder to slide off the platform. Luigi on the other hand, slides easily off.

The setups
Here's a couple of different methods you can use to pull off a platform lock.

Double fair lock from underneath

This is the double fair on all characters as long as they're close enough to the edge of the platform. This is harder against characters with slow fall speeds.

Double fair lock from above
The same method as the one used in the introduction. You can send them forward or backwards depending on where you land on them.

Ftilt on platform
On low %s you can drop trough the platform and follow up with a ftilt or sour spot fair lock.

Dash Attack or Fsmash on platform
Run off and hit a sour spot fair afterwards

Sweet spot nair
Great for punishing shield breaks. From underneath ftilt is the best locking move, because you don't have time to hit a sour spot fair. From on/above the platform you can land and use ftilt or use sour spot fair.

The impossible dair
This is so situational that you might never get to use it. This uses the fact that the first 8 hits of dair can jab lock, hence they can force a platform slide. In the video I hit with the 8th hit (maybe 7th) so Lucina doesn't get sucked into the vacuum hitbox, then I rest the untechable fall.

A wise man once said
"If you have enough situational techs, you'll have one for every situation."

Stages this works on
The platform locks work on Battlefield, Miiverse, Halberd and Lylat. On Lylat it only works on the two platforms on the sides towards the middle. I haven't looked too much into Lylat, so there might be more rules for when you can do it and not.

Example combos and strings

On Mario with 0% : sour spot fair (slides off platform) -> ftilt lock x2 -> fast fall uair -> dair -> rest
On Rosalina with 0% : sweet spot nair (slides off platform) -> ftilt lock x2 -> dair -> rest
On Bowser with 0% : sweet spot nair (slides off platform) -> ftilt lock x3 -> dair -> dair -> rest
On Ganondorf with 40% : sour spot fair (slides off platform) -> dsmash -> pound
Please experiment to find more combos like these :)

Rule of thumb: Jab lock them until they're in their 30s and then have fun with dair.

What to do when you slide them off, but they're out of the %range

Let's say you have Ganondorf standing on the platform on battlefield, but he has 40%. You go for a sour spot fair and he slides off, but what now? You could go for the example combo from earlier, but that doesn't really do a lot of damage. If you went for a fair from underneath and you hit with a really late hit box, then you could go for a dair. Our good friend dair leads to rest, and since you're above ground and he's sitting at 46% the rest will kill. Cool, we have another rest setup, but this one works on all stages with platforms. It's a great setup, but it does not work on all characters (works on Ganondorf and Jigglypuff, but not on Mario, because he slides too far). This needs to be looked more into.

Rule of your other thumb: If they're out of lock range, then they'll probably die to "dair -> rest" a little above ground.

If you didn't hit the late hit or from underneath, then I suggest going for a dsmash, since it locks anyway, but usually sends them far away, so it'll be hard to follow up. On some heavier characters however, following up from dsmash is possible.

Other things you can do when they slide off the platform
  • Rest : Does some damage, but doesn't usually kill, unless you're on the top platform of battlefield for example.
  • Footstool to rest: If you want to look even cooler while hitting the rest - A video about footstool to rest by Reflex https://youtu.be/7vurpDMMe7k
  • Uair : This can lead into rest or dair and make some more interesting combos
  • Sweet spot nair : Does 11%, it's something.
  • Utilt : Combos into other funny things.

Thank you for reading, please experiment with this and share what you find.

Last edited:

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
A guide to platform and jab locks by Koji

Intro
Hey, Koji here. Two weeks ago I saw this: https://twitter.com/SpookyBox/status/667868743343587328 and got inspired, so I hit the lab to research what kind of stuff you could do with the platform slide mechanic.

What is a jab lock?
A jab lock is when your opponent misses a tech and is hit by a (usually) weak move and forces them to do a neutral getup. This basically grants you a free hit.

What is a platform slide?
When you hit an opponent on a platform with a move that would usually jab lock and they slide of the ledge, they are forced into tumble. After falling for a short distance, they're free to do whatever they want, but on some stages, they hit the ground before this distance is traveled. After sliding off a platform you can't tech and this gives opportunities for a jab lock.

Here's an example of what you can do with platform slides and locks

Which of Jigglypuff's moves can "lock"?

In brawl Jigglypuff could lock with jab1 and jab2, which was pretty nice. In smash 4 there's a whole load of moves that can lock, but they only work within certain damage ranges. Disclaimer: These numbers are affected by rage and staling.
  • 0% : Sweet spot nair (can lock until 2% on heavies) and all of the ones below.
  • ~7% : Sweet spot fair (±3% depending on weight), forward smash (2% on Jigglypuff and 9% on Bowser) and all the ones below.
  • ~14% : Sweet spot dash attack (±4% depending on weight) and all the ones below.
  • ~31% : Ftilt (±8% depending on weight) and all the ones below.
  • ~37% : Sour spot fair (±6% depending on weight) and all the ones below.
  • ~39% : Sour spot dash attack (±7% depending on weight) and all the ones below.
  • Any % : Down smash and first 8 hits of dair.
These numbers aren't that accurate, so I made a table with all the data for at what %s you could slide people off the platform and when ftilt and sour spot fair locks. The table can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/ahjjiK7.png?1
Explanations for the table: It's sorted by slide%, which is determined by weight it seems. For some characters slide% and fair lock% is not the same, and I don't really know why. Little Mac seems like he has high friction and this makes him slide shorter, this makes him harder to slide off the platform. Luigi on the other hand, slides easily off.

The setups
Here's a couple of different methods you can use to pull off a platform lock.

Double fair lock from underneath

This is the double fair on all characters as long as they're close enough to the edge of the platform. This is harder against characters with slow fall speeds.

Double fair lock from above
The same method as the one used in the introduction. You can send them forward or backwards depending on where you land on them.

Ftilt on platform
On low %s you can drop trough the platform and follow up with a ftilt or sour spot fair lock.

Dash Attack or Fsmash on platform
Run off and hit a sour spot fair afterwards

Sweet spot nair
Great for punishing shield breaks. From underneath ftilt is the best locking move, because you don't have time to hit a sour spot fair. From on/above the platform you can land and use ftilt or use sour spot fair.

The impossible dair
This is so situational that you might never get to use it. This uses the fact that the first 8 hits of dair can jab lock, hence they can force a platform slide. In the video I hit with the 8th hit (maybe 7th) so Lucina doesn't get sucked into the vacuum hitbox, then I rest the untechable fall.

A wise man once said
"If you have enough situational techs, you'll have one for every situation."

Stages this works on
The platform locks work on Battlefield, Miiverse, Halberd and Lylat. On Lylat it only works on the two platforms on the sides towards the middle. I haven't looked too much into Lylat, so there might be more rules for when you can do it and not.

Example combos and strings

On Mario with 0% : sour spot fair (slides off platform) -> ftilt lock x2 -> fast fall uair -> dair -> rest
On Rosalina with 0% : sweet spot nair (slides off platform) -> ftilt lock x2 -> dair -> rest
On Bowser with 0% : sweet spot nair (slides off platform) -> ftilt lock x3 -> dair -> dair -> rest
On Ganondorf with 40% : sour spot fair (slides off platform) -> dsmash -> pound
Please experiment to find more combos like these :)

Rule of thumb: Jab lock them until they're in their 30s and then have fun with dair.

What to do when you slide them off, but they're out of the %range

Let's say you have Ganondorf standing on the platform on battlefield, but he has 40%. You go for a sour spot fair and he slides off, but what now? You could go for the example combo from earlier, but that doesn't really do a lot of damage. If you went for a fair from underneath and you hit with a really late hit box, then you could go for a dair. Our good friend dair leads to rest, and since you're above ground and he's sitting at 46% the rest will kill. Cool, we have another rest setup, but this one works on all stages with platforms. It's a great setup, but it does not work on all characters (works on Ganondorf and Jigglypuff, but not on Mario, because he slides too far). This needs to be looked more into.

Rule of your other thumb: If they're out of lock range, then they'll probably die to "dair -> rest" a little above ground.

If you didn't hit the late hit or from underneath, then I suggest going for a dsmash, since it locks anyway, but usually sends them far away, so it'll be hard to follow up. On some heavier characters however, following up from dsmash is possible.

Other things you can do when they slide off the platform
  • Rest : Does some damage, but doesn't usually kill, unless you're on the top platform of battlefield for example.
  • Footstool to rest: If you want to look even cooler while hitting the rest - A video about footstool to rest by Reflex https://youtu.be/7vurpDMMe7k
  • Uair : This can lead into rest or dair and make some more interesting combos
  • Sweet spot nair : Does 11%, it's something.
  • Utilt : Combos into other funny things.

Thank you for reading, please experiment with this and share what you find.
Nice labbing!! Like seriously, great job!!

One thing that of like to add to my knowledge to make things barely more specific is that I believe dair only locks when you hit it with the hitbox near Jigglypuff's booty. The one in the middle of the hitbox of even the tippy toes shouldn't work. You can definitely see this in the videos, but written it just says first 8 hits of dair. That's the only little tiny complaint I have, and still, people can figure that out in 2 minutes, but something to add possibly? If u want, but either way, great job!

Top Bottom