• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A  Guide to Changing Fate -  Lucina

A Guide to Changing Fate - Lucina

XKan

Smash Apprentice
XKan submitted a new guide:

A Guide to Changing Fate - Lucina - Move Info / Match Up Strategies / Etc.

This guide is a general move set guide, giving tips on the applicability of Lucina's moves. Custom moves are included, though not explored too in depth. There will also be general tips regarding character match ups.

Most is written from my own experience of the 2000+ matches / 60+ hours of playing as Lucina on "For Glory" mode since the Japanese release. I wrote a guide for gameFAQs as well, a lot of which will likely reflect here in content.

As a disclaimer, I do not consider myself to be...
Read more about this guide...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Considering you don't consider yourself or this eventual guide tournament level, you could label it a beginner guide in the title, just saying.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
Considering you don't consider yourself or this eventual guide tournament level, you could label it a beginner guide in the title, just saying.
Sure, that may be good to do. Wasn't sure if Beginner's Guide would mean "for beginners to read" or "a beginner wrote it" XD Since I still cover the moves in depth and such. Will label it that way anyway to be sure, anyway.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Sure, that may be good to do. Wasn't sure if Beginner's Guide would mean "for beginners to read" or "a beginner wrote it" XD Since I still cover the moves in depth and such. Will label it that way anyway to be sure, anyway.
Beginner could be replaced with "Guide for Starters" or "Novice's Guide", if you don't like the word, even though they mean the same thing. A title like "Lucina for Dummies" would be immature, but at the same time gives the idea.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
Beginner could be replaced with "Guide for Starters" or "Novice's Guide", if you don't like the word, even though they mean the same thing. A title like "Lucina for Dummies" would be immature, but at the same time gives the idea.
Oh no worries, title is fine. : ) Was just wondering if there was some terminology difference, that's all! Thanks!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Great work for a first time! I come to bring some advice, seeing as it's very similar to one I had done so many years back for Luigi in Brawl. Time to dig up some ancient history!

The Green Machine: A Luigi Strategy Guide

Wow, it feels weird looking at that again. Anyways, as you can see I did something similar to what you have done. Tips:
  • Try to format your guide. By that I mean clearly highlight different sections be it with bold, italics, colors, or text size.
  • Even though you clearly state that the match-up area is based on your experience I would remove the match-up area for now. The game is really young. We still do not know much about the game, and the Wii U version has not even been released. While for those of us that read, we will take your statements as advice, some of the others will view your guide as 100% truth. I know you should not be held responsible for their mistakes even if you clarified that at the beginning but still, it seems like a good place to start.
  • Images and Videos! While my guide does not have any images regarding the moves (something that I am deeply ashamed off now) that will help out your guide intensely.
  • A table of contents is good at the beginning highlighting all of the guides major areas!
  • While not necessary, I added a five star (***) system to symbolize the approximate knock-back of moves. It adds a little bit more of complexity/understanding to the guide.
Those are my five key points! I am looking forward to the evolution of your guide!

XKan

Smash Apprentice
Great work for a first time! I come to bring some advice, seeing as it's very similar to one I had done so many years back for Luigi in Brawl. Time to dig up some ancient history!

The Green Machine: A Luigi Strategy Guide

Wow, it feels weird looking at that again. Anyways, as you can see I did something similar to what you have done. Tips:
  • Try to format your guide. By that I mean clearly highlight different sections be it with bold, italics, colors, or text size.
  • Even though you clearly state that the match-up area is based on your experience I would remove the match-up area for now. The game is really young. We still do not know much about the game, and the Wii U version has not even been released. While for those of us that read, we will take your statements as advice, some of the others will view your guide as 100% truth. I know you should not be held responsible for their mistakes even if you clarified that at the beginning but still, it seems like a good place to start.
  • Images and Videos! While my guide does not have any images regarding the moves (something that I am deeply ashamed off now) that will help out your guide intensely.
  • A table of contents is good at the beginning highlighting all of the guides major areas!
  • While not necessary, I added a five star (***) system to symbolize the approximate knock-back of moves. It adds a little bit more of complexity/understanding to the guide.
Those are my five key points! I am looking forward to the evolution of your guide!
Thank you very, very much for the constructive criticism and tips. : ) I am working on formatting the guide to better reflect the various sections as we speak. I am very used to simple ASCII guides (on gameFAQs) and so am getting used to having actual formatting options! XD

The Table of Contents will be coming shortly, I wanted to get the information out first. : )

Indeed about the match ups... I wanted to provide some general notes for players to keep in mind, but I do see what you mean about how some may take it as 100% truth :\ Advice indeed, that I constantly re-emphasize... I wonder if there is a way to constantly emphasize "tips" and reminder that the game is young... or if it should really be removed altogether. A point I will ponder but am leaning toward removal.

Oh, I did not think of images and videos, but that would certainly help keep things organized. Though I do lack any sort of capture tech, I can look into it elsewhere.

That's a pretty good system regarding launches! I may implement it.

Again, thank you for the advice and tips, I shall work on implementing them for best readability among other things. Also thank you for being constructive rather than straight up demeaning. :\

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
A point I will ponder but am leaning toward removal.
You can emphasize it really well at the beginning and at the match-up area spoiler tag it if need be.
Match-up area
Again, thank you for the advice and tips, I shall work on implementing them for best readability among other things. Also thank you for being constructive rather than straight up demeaning. :\
No problem. In fact, your guide looks better than my first one at the beginning. It was all red text with no formatting... It would drive your eyes crazy! Anyways, we all start somewhere and if the criticism is offensive just ignore it or on the other hand use it as a personal motivation to improve. If you need any more help let me know. I love smash, I love teaching. Great combination if I do say so myself.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
You can emphasize it really well at the beginning and at the match-up area spoiler tag it if need be.
Match-up area

No problem. In fact, your guide looks better than my first one at the beginning. It was all red text with no formatting... It would drive your eyes crazy! Anyways, we all start somewhere and if the criticism is offensive just ignore it or on the other hand use it as a personal motivation to improve. If you need any more help let me know. I love smash, I love teaching. Great combination if I do say so myself.
Ah of course, the Spoiler Tags. XD That's a great work around. I will do just that, with very clear writing! Indeed, I like criticism if it adds something to it, but personal attacks don't really help anything.

Of course! I will be sure to contact you for any other advice :D Thanks! Smash Teacher. XD

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You know, considering the length and content of the guide now, Beginner to Intermediate sounds appropriate.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
Phew... I added quite a bit. While multi-player is a focus, do you all think people may find use in Single Player modes and such too? (All Star, Multi-Man, Home-Run, etc)?

It would be brief and general, but still something if people need the help, I suppose.

Cyber Crow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4124-6177-2052
Saw your reply to my review so here is my re-reply(?)...reply to your reply.........my response. lol

Yea I missed the weakness thing so sorry for putting something redundant but I did re-look and while I don't know if it was always there I did see a point to it on the table of contents so that's good either way. On the teleport thing I think that is brilliant. Just letting people know not to use it as a crutch but using it to get used to the movements is something definitely worth noting.

On a side note for info about Zelda btw. You had put to counter or side roll her teleport but something to note that can come off rather oddly especially if you side roll is she has a somewhat set distance she must travel. If she teleports straight down when close enough to the ground it will shoot her out to one of the sides. It can cause her to end up in places unexpected and as far as I know it is only her that this affects. Not sure if it would be useful in your guide but it can mess with people using the highlight as it will show her square go straight to the ground then shoot off to a side.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
Saw your reply to my review so here is my re-reply(?)...reply to your reply.........my response. lol

Yea I missed the weakness thing so sorry for putting something redundant but I did re-look and while I don't know if it was always there I did see a point to it on the table of contents so that's good either way. On the teleport thing I think that is brilliant. Just letting people know not to use it as a crutch but using it to get used to the movements is something definitely worth noting.

On a side note for info about Zelda btw. You had put to counter or side roll her teleport but something to note that can come off rather oddly especially if you side roll is she has a somewhat set distance she must travel. If she teleports straight down when close enough to the ground it will shoot her out to one of the sides. It can cause her to end up in places unexpected and as far as I know it is only her that this affects. Not sure if it would be useful in your guide but it can mess with people using the highlight as it will show her square go straight to the ground then shoot off to a side.
No problem! This is the discussion thread after all : )

Indeed! I included a statement for Zelda/Sheik/Palutena regarding using the tracker as a way to get started, and then take it off once used to the movements, thanks to what you said. I thought it would help players. : ) I am glad you thought so too!

It used to say "Includes Upsides/Downsides" and I realized people may not understand that it meant "Weaknesses," so I corrected that here to enable people to find them easier. But it was always in the General Strategies, yes. I am glad it helped!

Oh really? I was unaware about that regarding Zelda, as I never really saw people do that! XD But that is useful for Zelda players to use, and for Lucina players to keep in mind too. I will make a note of that, thank you!

XKan

Smash Apprentice
You could add video links at some point.
That's true! Though am a little iffy about videos unless they show exactly what I want them to show as to avoid clutter and complications. I wish I could upload them on my own, but lack any capture capability. I may search and see if anything relevant comes up though, thanks for the suggestion. : )

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I wish I could upload them on my own, but lack any capture capability. I may search and see if anything relevant comes up though, thanks for the suggestion. : )
You could always use an iPhone/Pad or any camcorder...if you don't mind subpar quality.

id shamelessly promote myself if i knew which of my vids demonstrated what the guide says

XKan

Smash Apprentice
You could always use an iPhone/Pad or any camcorder...if you don't mind subpar quality.

id shamelessly promote myself if i knew which of my vids demonstrated what the guide says
I happened to find a good video on youtube that was not too obnoxious either : ) I just added it to the guide!

Sometimes when people go and comment onward about irrelevant things it can get bothersome, but this one sticks with talking about the moves, from what I previewed anyway : ) Thanks for the suggestion, again! Hope it helps readers!

Mutazila

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mutazila
3DS FC
3196-3326-0935
Hi XKan,

wonderful job! Coming from a smash newbie and lucina enthusiast, i must say your guide has helped a lot in understanding the basic mechanics of sm4sh and lucina in general. thanks a bunch!

Top Bottom