• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A guide to becoming a competitive Smash 4 player!

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
Mew2King, Mang0, Armada, Hungrybox, CT ZEro, etc...... How do these guys make cool gamertags for themselves? Not exactly important, but I went to at least tourneys now and I still can't think of anything good and I got another one tomorrow.

Any advice you guys have on making a catchy gamertag? How do you guys do it? I need one right before tomorrow.
I think it's more like choosing one tag you like and make it great by getting better.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
I think it's more like choosing one tag you like and make it great by getting better.
Yeah that's been bothering me too. I think I might be on to a good tag now as I decided not to use eltoroguaco for This. It's my internet alias, but it's more fun to have something a little more smash related when playing the game :p

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Just going to say I also want to get my feet wet in the competitive sm4sh scene but being unable to travel and losing in tourney mode so many times has me quite frankly SCARED OUT OF MY MIND!!
I finally gave myself a nickname (after playing for so long might as well) going off of what I heard from a friend of mine I chose the nickname Nostalgia (it had a nice ring to it, I know I liked it). I may get trash (and trash-talked) by people online...but there's nothing more satisfying than seeing your character on the victory screen.
It's also hard not to get stuck in a rut, when you know what works you tend to use it over and over....don't do that....explore your options trust me there are several. Then as the OP said find experienced players. A player who's been around the smash scene more than once can tell what's wrong with your technique at a glance. As long as they're not jerks about it ask for some advice and no 'change what character you use' doesn't count.
In the meantime I'll be relaxing around my place playing online tourney mode, my best with my zard was three in a row. I even beat people I never won against before!

JUNIT

Smash Rookie
NNID
JUNITO42
3DS FC
2981-9021-9040
I came pretty close to winning a G Stop tourney back at the midnight launch with Mega Man. I am destined to play MM for revenge! Also, I feel like I'm one of the few people that like him.
I like Mega Man

agand5

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
Tr4sh is **** and if you guys honestly believe this game can be played competitively you're an idiot

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
If you manage to find this I would like to thank you for writing this.

I was fortunate enough to find both of your threads on competitive smash 4 today from other users asking these very same questions and sharing your resources. Both are a great read and sum up what I try to explain to players through a lot of article, videos, and text. Great work.

Now for why I'm here. I was wondering would you consider adding a section near the character forums where you can talk about the character discords, aka smashcords (https://smashcords.com/smash-4/).

I only bring this up because ever since they have appeared a few years ago, plenty of activity on the smash 4 character boards have dwindled since many players have migrated there. Every now and then, I find a Ness or Lucas player wandering the boards I watch and I redirect them to Discord along with the players who ask for help in the general board.

D

Deleted member

So, how active is Smashladder? Would you reccomend Smash Ladder or Nintendo dojo?

Top Bottom