• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A good theory I heard on why prophets can't settle on characters

Olimar7

Smash Rookie
Disclaimer: In no means is this my theory. Nor, do I believe that any prophet is real. I also wish for the 35 character roster to be debunked, so...

Is it possible, in order to keep this game secret and the roster hidden, Nintendo has gone to extreme measures and has created several beta copies for Playtesters? I mean, think about it. One playtester may get a copy that has a set of 35 characters and the other playlister may also get a copy that has a set of 35 characters or so, however, the other set has different characters mixed in. I know the measure would be extreme and thus unlikely, however, we are all familiar with Nintendo's obsession over privacy and the likelihood there motto is "loose lips sink ships."

Just a theory.

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
That would be a great idea, I don't have a clue where the probability of it lays though. I would think nintendo could come here and demand the IP's of the people who leak correct information later on, and fire them.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nintendo could also be just generally giving people bad leaks on purpose without having to go through all this trouble.

iLink

Smash Champion
Or they could be people with no lives that want to say false information just for kicks.

S2

Smash Lord
Why would they have different betas? The purpose of a beta being to work out all the kinks in the programming.

It makes no sense to have different characters on each one.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Actually, this would be quite easy to do and probably only take a few minutes to get a copy made with only certain characters available.

At the same time, the fake leaks would be a lot easier, but I can't see Nintendo doing that.

I agree with "They are all lying."

Kittah4

Smash Ace
No, that's not possible.
Just like it's impossible for pretty much each of the many demos that have come out to have a different roster?

And yeah, I realize the duty of a beta tester is to test all facets of the game. However its possible versions of the game got out with not all characters available. I don't think this is new in the TV industry, as one of my friends related to me:

"Well, one of the most notable instances of this was the show 24. Multiple scripts were released by the studio, with the express purpose of false info being leaked. This was to cover up the fact that a major character was to be killed on the show. Thus, since it was the fake info that got leaked, no one expected it and made it have all the more of an impact on the viewers"

I know not the same thing could or should happen for Brawl, but it is a possibility. All that would have to be done is remove the "challenger approaching" scripts for a few of the characters in SSE.

Orsist

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't trust any of the prophets, simply because they don't agree with each other. Somebody is lying and its impossible to tell who.

Nintendo has been a very crafty company in the past, so I wouldn't doubt for a second that they've got something very cool up their sleeves. Wii-mote, anybody?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
yea lots of movies and stuff have printed tons of fakes (star wars had darth vader saying obi wan killed your father for example so even the film crew had no idea).

brawl is SO speculated upon and the information of just whos in it is so highly desired more so than any game i've ever followed befor, i could actually see nintendo with all there secrecy doing this.

and yes every demo has had different characters so it's not like this can't be done, it's very easy to do.

0ranger

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't be surprised, actually. Why would Nintendo send the final version to the States when they have armies of testers in Japan? Sakurai is eccentric enough to have demanded secrecy.

Olimar7

Smash Rookie
I'm not saying that they aren't liars, I have a feeling that most of them are liars, and have a weird way to get kicks.

However, there must be some people who leak, I mean, it's bound to happen. And so I thought this was the craftiest way that Nintendo could've taken to secure the roster.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
35 is a fake, as are all the others, in fact, the Dojo? not real. The game is a hoax.

Chepe

Smash Lord
With this logic you are assuming that the majority of "leakers" that we heard of arent lying...

Only credible ones should be trusted, such as ChaosZero, Serebii, NyaseNya, and ShadowXOR. Each of these has actual backup in their statements.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for the incomplete beta theory. It would explain a really bad freaking roster.

That said, MarkMan, Reno, Nysae (full name too weird for me to remember), and PortraitofRuin all more or less agree with one another but come from completely separate backgrounds and sources. They're the only ones we should even entertain the thought of, if at all.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
It would be a waste of time, if Nintendo have really created all these characters for playtest versions, then they should ALL be in the final version. This is what a prophet does:

This is the truth

Deconfirmation: Geno
Confirmation: Sailor Moon
Deconfirmation: Blastoise
Confirmation: Mario.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
An intriguing theory. I never thought of it like that before. Well, anything that puts a damper on the Nightmare 35 is okay in my books. Still hoping we don't get Melee'd.

Top Bottom