• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Good Co-Main for Lucas?

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Hello. I've been playing a lot with Lucas in local tournaments and such and have been doing fairly well with him, and I've decided to main him. The only thing that confuses me is his matchups. I find it especially difficult to fight against fast sword users because of Lucas's stubby limbs and characters that have an overwhelming off-stage presence. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good character to use alongside Lucas in tournaments to cover his bad matchups and vice versa? Thanks for any input that I may receive, and I hope that I can make a decision based off of the feedback that I may see.

Yaya Haider

Banned via Warnings
NNID
HeroYaYa
3DS FC
0490-6092-1077
Hmm maybe someone with good zoning tools that can win the neutral and out space the sword wielders? Sometimes picking another Sword user helps too. Someone like Shulk out ranges alot of the other sword users. You can use Rope Snake and PK Fire to out space sword users, that's what i do.

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Hmm maybe someone with good zoning tools that can win the neutral and out space the sword wielders? Sometimes picking another Sword user helps too. Someone like Shulk out ranges alot of the other sword users. You can use Rope Snake and PK Fire to out space sword users, that's what i do.
I see. I used to main Megaman before Lucas came out and I also dabble with Pit, so that's nice to know. Thanks for your input. :)

Yaya Haider

Banned via Warnings
NNID
HeroYaYa
3DS FC
0490-6092-1077
No problem! Megaman and Pit would be useful. Pit has a pretty good neutral game, has range over Lucas, and is overall a good character. Probably high tier. Metaknight might be good too.

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
No problem! Megaman and Pit would be useful. Pit has a pretty good neutral game, has range over Lucas, and is overall a good character. Probably high tier. Metaknight might be good too.
Yeah. I love Pit and his extremely good recovery so characters with off-stage presence don't seem to bother him because he's coming back anyways most of the time. I'll have to get better with him because compared to my Megaman, my Pit skills aren't as great.

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
from my experience, Sheik and Sonic are the biggest issues with minor issues through Fox and Pikachu. Generally, ZSS is probably your best comaIn to use. Pit is also a good choice as well as Pit goes close to even versus Sheik and does decent versus Sonic.

Against Swordfighters, You really just want to play PK Keepaway, respect their range, and find an opening. Most swordfighters lack great Frama Data or most likely all, didn't really look. Versus, Robin, you force Robin to approach unless Robin has a book, but you also don't want him to charge ArcThunder/Thoron. Robin can't really do much besides approach you with an aerial or bait out your PSI Magnet, but Robins approach options are very telegraphed. It also doesn't help that you heal literally nothing besides from Elthunder and Elwind.

Against Marth/Lucina, Play PK Keepaway until they do a laggy move(Smashes, Dair, Nair, missed grab, All of their specials) and punish with Nair, Fair, PK Fire, Zair, or Grab depending on the situation.

Against Ike. I have no experience with Ike, but I know Ike has some laggy attacks, and do the same as you do vs Marthcina

Vs Shulk. You got to play really patient. Shulk is a spacy. What Shulk doesn't like is projectiles and being comboed. Abuse both of those. When he goes into shield, just camp him until Shield goes off because you are not killing him with Lucas's limited Kill Options. Although Down Throw to Footstool is guaranteed at normal kill percents, so if you get a grab, you can kill him earlier than most characters.

Vs Link-You want to play a little bit more aggressive. Do not try to bat Arrows as Link can hold it and hit you over. Respect that grab range and remember you can heal from the bombs.

All i got for now.

Last edited:

Yaya Haider

Banned via Warnings
NNID
HeroYaYa
3DS FC
0490-6092-1077
from my experience, Sheik and Sonic are the biggest issues with minor issues through Fox and Pikachu. Generally, ZSS is probably your best comaIn to use. Pit is also a good choice as well as Pit goes close to even versus Sheik and does decent versus Sonic.

Against Swordfighters, You really just want to play PK Keepaway, respect their range, and find an opening. Most swordfighters lack great Frama Data or most likely all, didn't really look. Versus, Robin, you force Robin to approach unless Robin has a book, but you also don't want him to charge ArcThunder/Thoron. Robin can't really do much besides approach you with an aerial or bait out your PSI Magnet, but Robins approach options are very telegraphed. It also doesn't help that you heal literally nothing besides from Elthunder and Elwind.

Against Marth/Lucina, Play PK Keepaway until they do a laggy move(Smashes, Dair, Nair, missed grab, All of their specials) and punish with Nair, Fair, PK Fire, Zair, or Grab depending on the situation.

Against Ike. I have no experience with Ike, but I know Ike has some laggy attacks, and do the same as you do vs Marthcina

Vs Shulk. You got to play really patient. Shulk is a spacy. What Shulk doesn't like is projectiles and being comboed. Abuse both of those. When he goes into shield, just camp him until Shield goes off because you are not killing him with Lucas's limited Kill Options. Although Down Throw to Footstool is guaranteed at normal kill percents, so if you get a grab, you can kill him earlier than most characters.

Vs Link-You want to play a little bit more aggressive. Do not try to bat Arrows as Link can hold it and hit you over. Respect that grab range and remember you can heal from the bombs.

All i got for now.
Wouldn't you want to avoid his tether grab? Down throw to Uair is a combo now? I think. As for Roy PK keepaway is good. Use Zair and PK Fire to out space Roy, Roy doesn't like to give you breathing room so you should have some space between you and Roy. Roy's Fsmash while fast can be punished with a good grab. Also it's good to cover Roy's options when he's coming back on the stage, is recovery is mediocre.

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life

All i got for now.
Wow. This is extremely useful. Thanks so much for the help. I guess I've gotten so used to playing Lucas aggressively that sword users threw me off a lot of the time. I'll also check out ZSS and see how she works. :)

DatChrizma

Smash Rookie
I've been really enjoying Lucas and wondering if Comaining Rosalina with Lucas would be a good choice because Rosalina is currently my main.

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
I've been really enjoying Lucas and wondering if Comaining Rosalina with Lucas would be a good choice because Rosalina is currently my main.

You may have some trouble with ZSS, but it seems fine.

beany

Smash Rookie
Fox fox fox fox fox fox fox fox fox fox fox fox. I tri-main Fox, Lucas, and Luigi and they generally dont fail me, unless my opponent has better fundamentals or is more seasoned. Lucas is my go-to. But for ROB (or other characters who like to set up walls/play keep-away), I use Fox. And I also use Luigi because he was my main pre-DLC, pre-"Luigi is a brain-dead character" hate. Luigi is good for heavies who would otherwise get in on Lucas or out-box Fox.

I play mid-range Lucas, rush-down or lazery Fox, and grabby Luigi, and they all work in tandom EXCELLENTLY. Plus the more characters, the more mixups for your opponent ;)

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Shulk covers a few of Lucas' bad matchups. Generally, if Lucas has trouble getting in on a character, Shulk is a good choice.

However, I've just recently decided that Shulk and Lucas do not cover enough. They're both fairly defensive characters, and I feel like both can get comboed pretty hard by the likes of Sheik or Mario. Shulk's aerials are just too slow, and Lucas' aerials don't have enough range/priority?/damage? Thus, I've recently picked up Sheik, so we'll see how that goes. You may want to pick up more than two characters, but it really depends. My opinion on your choice includes a combination of 2-3 of the following characters:

:4pit:/:4darkpit:
:4feroy:
:4sheik:
:4falcon:
:4mario:
:4shulk:
:4metaknight:
This is in order of who I personally think might grant you more success. Sheik is lower because A) she's hard to learn at times, which can be discouraging, B) doesn't have as good of range as Pit/Roy, C) is hard to kill with, and D) could very well get nerfed.

I wish you luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom