• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A forgotten mechanic? Bonuses

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Hello everyone!

Today I wanted to discuss a topic which, to my knowledge, hasn't been mentioned in the community. Bonuses.

Bonus 1.png
(Have these been forgotten?)

In Super Smash Bros. Melee, there was a list of bonuses that players would receive after matches in both single player and multiplayer modes. These bonuses decided the overall point total after a match finished. While these originated in Super Smash Bros. 64, they weren't expanded upon until Super Smash Bros. Melee, where the total jumped from 57 somewhat mundane bonuses to 249.

Bonus 4.jpg :GCR: Bonus 3.png :GCR: Bonus 5.jpg
(The latest entries are more akin to Super Smash Bros. 64 and are far less varied with gaining points in single player.)

Several examples include [Acrobat +3000 Did a midair jump during every air trip.], [Gardener Finish +2000 Put a flower on an enemy's head at match's end.] and [All Thumbs –1500 Failed all attempted dash grabs (4 minimum).]. While post-match scores in single player modes still exist, the creative bonuses present in Super Smash Bros. Melee were totally removed in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and were also absent from Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. I no doubt assume their continued absence in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It would be nice to see them return, as, in my opinion, they make high scores in single player mode more fun and less banal.

Bonus 2.png
(More variety. More fun.)

Do you miss the inclusion of such bonuses in the series? Should there be a larger assortment of bonuses added to Super Smash Bros. in the future? What kind of bonuses would you like to see included? It would be fun to see new bonuses implement such as [Ink-redible KO +2000 KO an opponent while covered in ink.]. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you for your time and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that used to be fun to read after every match. Sadly it won't return in Ultimate (as seen in the 08/08/18 direct when they presented Classic Mode).

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah these were pretty fun. Bonus melees were fun to play once in a while too even though you probably were rarely ever going to guess who was gonna get what (at least I was rarely able to). I still remember getting 'Butterfingers' almost every match though (at least whenever I checked). Good times. Wish they would come back, but admittedly I don't miss it too much.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I could dig bonuses coming back, they were fun to strive for. Doesn't look like they will, though.

Oddball

Smash Lord
It was just fun to see if nothing else.

You get bonuses for walking, you get bonuses for not walking, you loose points for walking only a little bit... you just never knew what you were going to get.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I really miss bonuses too. Bonus Battle was essentially "Achievement Unlocked" as a fighting game.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I loved seeing the bonuses - especially since half of them were so random. I'd love to see them come back.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My main problem with bonuses is the fact that you had to acquire every single one to get a trophy that can't be acquired by any other means.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I miss the bonuses and bonus mode. I actually used that mode far more than Stamina back in Melee, I really wish it came back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom