• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few tricks with Snake

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I admit first of all that none of these tricks are wonderfully useful in a competitive situation but who knows maybe someone could pull them off for some mindgames.

1. Grenade Grab
While getting ready to throw a grenade (press and hold B) it is still possible to grab people with Z. When you grab you immediately drop the grenade behind you in the same way you would by shielding. If you grab them and hold them until your grenade goes off by doing this or by doing Snake's down throw sleeper, the grenade's explosion will do normal knockback to the opponent but will only make Snake flinch, taking the damage but recieving no knockback.

2. Trip Line
Lay a proxy (down smash), Remote mine (down B) and up to two grenades (B and then shield or dodge) all next to eachother in any order somewhat close to eachother preferably pretty quickly. Use down B again to detonate your remote mine and both grenades, and the proxy will also explode creating a straightline of explosions. You have to go pretty fast to get both grenades since they explode after around 4 seconds but it's possible. I doubt you could do the full thing in a real match but it's pretty plausible to put your remote mine near your proxy to detonate the proxy when you want. The explosion for the proxy mine is larger than the area a character needs to stand on to activate it so I can see a possible use for this.

3. Missile Drop
Use B to pull out a grenade and then drop it using shield or dodge. Then start your missile launcher (over B) and direct the missile straight up or upward at an angle. When your grenade explodes on top of you your missile will be interrupted and continue in the direction it was heading when you were hit. The missile continues upward until it runs out of fuel and then begins to drop. The missile will fall to the ground about 6 seconds after your grenade detonated. Where it's going to fall is pretty predictable just by judging the angle it started unguided. If you're willing to take the 12% damage from the grenade and can work out the timing you can actually do some pretty sweet stuff with this as you're free to hit the enemy into the path of your rapidly falling missile which trust me they won't expect to be there. Maybe this can be used as some sort of edgeguarding move? Start up two missiles that way? I don't know

4. Grenade edgehog
Stand by the ledge, pull out a grenade and drop it behind you (toward center stage.) In around 4 seconds when it's about to detonate, put up your shield and DI toward the stage. Snake will be hit outward and quickly grab the ledge. Also works by dropping a grenade and quickly throwing it straight down so that it bounces above you. If you do it fast enough the grenade explodes directly on top of you which if you're shielding lets you grab the ledge. No this isn't as fast or efficient as hugging but I imagine you could do some fun mindgames with it. You could do a similar thing with Link in SSBM. Maybe it could help you get a free kill on someone with only a tether recovery.

5. Mortar Slide Grenade Toss
Throw a grenade forward and then quickly follow up with mortar slide (dash + c-stick down + Up Z.) As you are moving forward, your dash attack which got cancelled will allow you to pick up the grenade while sliding forward with the mortar out. As soon as possible throw the grenade because it will blow up very soon afterward. Between the hitbox of pulling out the mortar, the falling mortar, your thrown grenade and your opponents confusion at the fact that you just slid almost entirely across the stage almost guarantees a hit of some kind. Plus it looks flashy.

That's all for now

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Most of these techniques are too overly complex to be useful. Grenade Grab would be good if your opponent charges you but aside from that I see limited uses. Tripline is too blatantly obvious, and the C4 will still be left even if it all goes to plan. Missile Cancel is far superior to your Missile Drop. Grenade Edgehog is somewhat okay, but the Nikita Edgeguard is far less complex. And lastly, Mortar Slide is far superior to anything you can mix the Mortar with nowadays.

Edit: I take back the Grenade Hogging comment, I saw a recent match where someone did it and it works well.

Zurik

Smash Rookie
I personally think these are some awesome finds! And now that I think of it.. planting C4 next to a proxy is actually a pretty good idea.. I should try that one out. The mortar slide nade toss trick seems pretty sweet... God I love Snake. Snake main for life! (or until the next ssb)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Yeah using C4 next to your proxy actually works surprisingly well. Just tried it out against some of my friends and it got me some kills. Basically just makes your C4 much bigger. And yes I'm quite aware of how complex some of these are and I know they're extremely situational at best. Just thought I'd throw them out there because they look sweet and maybe someone can put them to good use. The mortar slide grenade toss actually also has some nice uses but it's kind of hard to pull off. Basically just gives you an extra option with the already sweet mortar slide tech.

Top Bottom