• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Few Tips Against Sheik

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Just a few things that you guys might know and that you might not that you probably want to take a look at.

-I know Ganon players love to go offfstage and try for spikes and tipman spikes, but in the Sheik matchup it gets really simple.

All you need to do is grab the ledge. Every single time Sheik is trying to get back onto the stage grab the ledge and take away her option of using the tether. At first glance it looks like Sheiks recovery is pretty good, but if she is ever forced to use Vanish and she is forced to land on the stage it's a free ledge drop uair, fair, or if your quick enough a normal getup onto the stage into an dtilt, ftilt, or fsmash.

-Her ftilt is a beast in this matchup obviously. You all are aware of escaping it at early percentages with down DI and then getting up your shield. Experienced Sheik players will ftilt a couple of times at early percentages and then immediately go into a dsmash, jabs, or a grab. After you DI down and then get your shield up....immediately roll backwards.

At mid percentages it really is just a matter of not getting hit with her ftilt. If you are ever in a position where you are in your shield and Sheik is just ftilting away, full hop and then go from there......anything that Sheik can do to you in the air is nothing compared to what ftilt will do to you. Even on a powershield there is little you can do if the Sheik player buffers her ftilt correctly.

One thing i've found to be semi-reliable as i've played as Ganon in this matchup is to powershield, SH a bit out of range from her ftilt, and then catch her with an aerial Gerudo. This is extremely risky if the Sheik player happens to spotdodge it however....so only use it as a mixup every once in a while.

If you spotdodge an ftilt, do not attemp a jab or dtilt or any other possible close range option you have. Sheiks jab, ftilt, and utilt will outspeed anything in your moveset and you will find yourself in a deadly frame trap. Your best option would be to roll or jump away and reset your spacing.

In fact I would recommend spotdodging an awful lot in this matchup because her only real threat to beat a spotdodge on the ground would be her utilt. If you are facing an ftilt crazy Sheik.....spotdodging can be a life saver.

- Her grab game isn't amazing, but she is quick enough to make it seem that way at times. If your in the habit of immediately airdodging after being thrown, you will easily get hit by Sheiks nair or bair.

Probably her best and most used throw is going to be fthrow. Most average Sheik players will love to fthrow and immediately SH fair to try to knock you offstage. This is easily avoidable if you DI down and away on her fthrow. The better Sheik players, however, will fthrow and walk into a shield>utilt>ftilt on Ganon.........something you should be very aware of.

She does have some nasty tricks on Ganon out of a ground release since he is in perfect range for an ftilt or a dash grab. Once again if you ever suspect a grab release, a spotdodge is your best friend and then immediately get the hell out of there. I personally love to release to a needle storm and if it's shielded then I regrab.

- Dair is pretty useless against Sheik. Her utilt easily beats it and if you get hit with it your in for a lot of trouble because it leads directly into ftilt. You can't really use dair OoS either because Sheik has very few attacks that are laggy and Sheik doesn't really need them in the Ganon matchup(usmash, fsmash, dsmash).

You do not want to be close to Sheik. Dtilt is still punishable on block by Sheik...but at least your not getting hit with an ftilt.

I've found that ftilt is really good in the Sheik matchup because you can easily setup up for some edgeguards which is honestly one of the few things you have going for you in this matchup.

- A lot of Sheik users(myself included), will love to praise the chain and all of its glory. It is true that technically with perfect use Ganon can not do a **** thing.....but I found a small trick.

It is extremely hard for me to maintain chain coverage behind myself when protecting from the front and it takes a little while for me to transition behind me if my opponent lands behind the chain. Full hop over the chain, land behind Sheik, and when Sheik moves the chain behind quickly SH and wizkick onto the top of Sheik. This is really one of the only ways I have ever been able to sneak past the chain and its devilry.

Ya so those are just a few things that you guys might care about....let me know if any of it is useful. I have a few more tidbits but thats all I can think of right now.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wow, that is all exactly what happened in this matchup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XesIFZdO1Sc

Except....I mindgamed in a few D-air KOs on my friend, and he doesn't do stupid things like chain camping, and instead got really fancy with Vanish KOs.

I think spotdodging is a terrible idea against Sheik due to Ganon's punish options from a spotdodge being very slow, and due to Shiek having excellent Jab and grab frame traps. Her D-smash also punishes spotdodges extremely well.

All in all, Ganon's only hope to do anything to Sheik is run away a lot, and have very precise timing in outprioritizing her attacks.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I can very much appreciate the effort put into this thread, but much like the DK vs DDD help thread, this is a matchup you simply need a secondary for. A Sheik will always beat a Ganon of the same skill level, hell I'd say you could be considerably worse. No amount of discussion or strategy can rectify the inherent design flaws which Sheik exploits so brutally here.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Awesome thread, Marsulas. Thanks. Do you mind if I take a few quotes from the thread for the "Ganon Iz a MYTHBUSTA: Reassessing Ganon's Shortcomings" thread I have going? There's a section on Sheik involving both Ftilt lock and Chain camping, and I think there is some good information in here that I'd like to include. Is that alright with you?

Thanks again for the good read.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Wow, that is all exactly what happened in this matchup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XesIFZdO1Sc

Except....I mindgamed in a few D-air KOs on my friend, and he doesn't do stupid things like chain camping, and instead got really fancy with Vanish KOs.

I think spotdodging is a terrible idea against Sheik due to Ganon's punish options from a spotdodge being very slow, and due to Shiek having excellent Jab and grab frame traps. Her D-smash also punishes spotdodges extremely well.

All in all, Ganon's only hope to do anything to Sheik is run away a lot, and have very precise timing in outprioritizing her attacks.
I'm not recommending spot-dodging for punishment, i'm recommending it so you can roll or do whatever you need to do to get the hell out of there. If you sit in your shield Sheiks pressure game will destroy Ganon.

I can very much appreciate the effort put into this thread, but much like the DK vs DDD help thread, this is a matchup you simply need a secondary for. A Sheik will always beat a Ganon of the same skill level, hell I'd say you could be considerably worse. No amount of discussion or strategy can rectify the inherent design flaws which Sheik exploits so brutally here.
I agree, but there are still Ganon players looking to main him and play him alone. I'm sure they are looking for anything at all they can do to help make the matchup a little bit easier.

Awesome thread, Marsulas. Thanks. Do you mind if I take a few quotes from the thread for the "Ganon Iz a MYTHBUSTA: Reassessing Ganon's Shortcomings" thread I have going? There's a section on Sheik involving both Ftilt lock and Chain camping, and I think there is some good information in here that I'd like to include. Is that alright with you?

Thanks again for the good read.
I have no problem with you using any of this. Thanks for the compliments.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
-I know Ganon players love to go offfstage and try for spikes and tipman spikes, but in the Sheik matchup it gets really simple.

All you need to do is grab the ledge. Every single time Sheik is trying to get back onto the stage grab the ledge and take away her option of using the tether. At first glance it looks like Sheiks recovery is pretty good, but if she is ever forced to use Vanish and she is forced to land on the stage it's a free ledge drop uair, fair, or if your quick enough a normal getup onto the stage into an dtilt, ftilt, or fsmash.
Since you asked, I have to say this point is *really* good advice. I'm going to say full-on crucial.

Also

In fact I would recommend spotdodging an awful lot in this matchup because her only real threat to beat a spotdodge on the ground would be her utilt. If you are facing an ftilt crazy Sheik.....spotdodging can be a life saver.
this is a good tip jumping point for discussion (apparently, given A2ZOMG's words).
And this:

You do not want to be close to Sheik. Dtilt is still punishable on block by Sheik...but at least your not getting hit with an ftilt.
This is subtle but in a way, profound. This is quite something to notice: a tradeoff that is pivotal to know, and well worth it to take, I think.

However,

- Dair is pretty useless against Sheik. Her utilt easily beats it and if you get hit with it your in for a lot of trouble because it leads directly into ftilt. You can't really use dair OoS either because Sheik has very few attacks that are laggy and Sheik doesn't really need them in the Ganon matchup(usmash, fsmash, dsmash).
Is this really true, unequivocally? No dair? ****... that is what makes this the ****, isn't it.

Ya so those are just a few things that you guys might care about....let me know if any of it is useful. I have a few more tidbits but thats all I can think of right now.
Thanks, marsulas.

*~*~*~

Actually, hyperstation... this seems like this whole post belongs in your thread to begin with. It's a "big messy, collection of thoughts/tips/musings on improving Ganon's play." The only thing is it's particular to a matchup. But I say that shouldn't matter.

I plead to you, "come on, really." :lick: Theory Fighter would, ultimately, be a specification of exactly how a player should choose his moves given any matchup, i.e., his character and the other character. That is to say, there's no reason beyond Human psychology that the evolution of tactical discussion takes place by character boards for "mains." We could have had discussion take place in terms of 37 forums for "how to counter this character," and from a purely logical standpoint it's equivalent to the current setup. Neither one is the setup of 37 x 37 individual boards for "how to play this matchup" that theory fighter would naively suggest. When playing Ganon against Sonic, his good moves against Zelda just aren't facts that apply; they may overlap, but it doesn't matter what's good against Zelda when fighting Sonic.

However, we can't forget we do have Human psychology - we learn a 'main' better, not how to counter another character. So we do that. We conclude things like "Thunderstomp. Do it." and cover about 37 individual statements.
So insofar as we here in the Ganon boards have the assigned project of "handling all of Ganon's matchups / strategies involving picking Ganon for the double blind", it really all ought to run together, matchups and "tips," because (here's the thesis statement) tips are only broad, fuzzy terms for matchup pointers anyway.

Learning to beat Sheik, in the cellular view of the game, has nothing to do with Ganon anywhere else, but since we subvert that all the time, why not jump right in with any tips for any matchup? For all we know - indeed, what *we do* around here is assume - anything to help us Humans get Ganon in one matchup, might make us better Ganons in any matchup. Not just learning things to generalize... it is even paying attention when a generalization fails, to ask "why didn't that work here?" and gaining insight to other generalizations.

So I say to you break down that barrier in your thread, DAD.

tl; dr READ IT. NO SUMMARY 4 U. Put "matchup tips" in "general pointers" discussions. They're not really different and only hold back metagame evolution. The "purism" isn't sensibly motivated.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
I've found that ftilt is really good in the Sheik matchup because you can easily setup up for some edgeguards which is honestly one of the few things you have going for you in this matchup.
Full hop over the chain, land behind Sheik, and when Sheik moves the chain behind quickly SH and wizkick onto the top of Sheik. This is really one of the only ways I have ever been able to sneak past the chain and its devilry.
I'm pretty sure a buffered FTilt behind Sheik would also work and quite frankly aerial Wizkick is one of Ganon's best killing moves in this matchup as he'll probably be forced to use his iDA way more than he should do and its going to become very stale very fast.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
PK-ow is the man.

I will be eating the contents of this thread and reconstituting them in the MYTHBUSTA thread soon.

Top Bottom