• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Few Sheik Questions

Ferneza

Smash Rookie
Hello, this is my first time posting on the board, and I just have some questions about the Sheik MU

1) Is it possible to punish a sheik down smash, or is it best to try to get a reset back to neutral? I feel as though I can't react out of shield without getting stuffed by an f tilt, but most of my sheik experience comes from netplay.

2) Is it possible to reaction tech chase sheik with down throw on low percents? My guess is that this may be possible if you have her near either edge of the stage so one of the tech rolls is shortened but I'm not sure.

3) Approximately until what percent am I able to crouch cancel moves like ftilt and dash attack?

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
1) it is possible, but i believe it's a pretty tight timing. WD OoS > grab should work if you are fast enough. gravy might know some specifics of what you can do out of powershield though, which could be p powerful. my guess is if you are on the correct side of them (not sure which side that is--would be the side on which the last hitbox is not), then if you PS you could probably just SH > full drift towards > stomp. probably PS > raptor boost works as well.

2) it is definitely possible. in fact, if you read gravy's "how to techchase like a man" post, i believe even his "hybrid tech chase" is perfectly doable against sheik. the difficulty is that with full DI away + tech away, she can sometimes move out of the camera for a moment, so you have to just improve your ability to intuit the positioning.

3) this i'm not totally sure, but at least against fox i know people talk about sheik's "0-40%" game vs. her 40%+ game--namely that around 40% fox can no longer CC dash attack. given that CC is weight-dependent (again, i think?), falcon should be able to do it much longer, but he has fewer options out of such a scenario, especially given the relative low lag of dash attack and the speed of her other options (jab, ftilt, dtilt, etc.). combined with his poor grab range you would probably rather just not get hit by the dash attack.

(EDIT: nvm dash attack has a decent amount of lag. so in theory if sheik is dash attacking you at CC-able % then you should be able to punish it, but there are two things to note: a) a good sheik is probably not going to be trying to dash attack you at such %s, and b) with proper DDing you should and would probably rather just avoid it and punish accordingly)

hope this helps a bit, sorry that it's not specific enough. i need to test a lot of these things for myself as well. however at least where reaction tech chasing is concerned, it is more than possible.

Last edited:

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
1) While General Heinz has some good ideas, you can always outspace a stomp on dsmash. OoS you can space an ftilt, although unless they are at high enough percent it won't lead to much; with that said, at certain percents (add it to the list of things to lab) you can follow up ftilt with a knee, or uair -> knee. Also dtilt can lead to knee or nair-> knee at certain percents. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm pretty sure both of those work at mid percents.

2) Reaction tech chasing is something Falcon does exceptionally well, and if executed properly (see aforementioned gravy's "how to techchase like a man") should do well in making you feel very grimy. He can pretty much tech chase the whole cast (except jigs) to death.

3) General Heinz did a good job to cover most of this, just some idea's out of CC. If you CC an ftilt, you can follow up with a grab (frame tight) or gentleman (depends on spacing). What I like to do is to space nairs around Sheik's ftilt, as it can out space at certain points in the animation. Instant uair also works, but watch out for Sheik CCing your aerials as well. CC is something you shouldn't be actively pursuing, but instead a defensive option to get out of or shift bad situations/positioning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom