• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Few Semi-Advanced Techniques I Like To Use

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
In nearly all Ike video I see, the player usually has mind-games and mix-ups to the extent of jumping around and/or spacing awkwardly. I'd like to share some unexpected tactics that might catch your opponent offguard.

Reverse Quick Draw:
Run at the opponent, then use a Reverse-B QD to instantly head in the opposite direction. DJFF Fair follows nicely afterwards.

Reverse Hyphen Smash:
Turning around your Hyphen Smash has two benefits - it looks funky, and striking with the end of your Usmash (as opposed to the start) means you recover faster from hitting (or not hitting) your opponent.
For those confused, the button input would be
dash > tap back > jump > very quickly tap up + a

Rising Counter:
In the air, Counter always stops your upper momentum, instantly. Thus, while ledge jumping, you can hold down and spam B to stop and Counter as soon as your invincibility frames drop.

Ledge-to-Stage Aerials:
All of your aerials can land on the stage from the ledge with appropriate timing. You have to drop off the ledge (tap away from the stage to drop without fast falling) and instantly jump, aerial, and hold towards the stage. I'm not sure if you can land a Bair, but, how often would you want to, anyways?

Tip: Absuse Falling Eruption
The super armor on Eruption makes it fantastic for covering yourself while falling from an attack, however, due to its lag, many players will tell you to use it sparingly lest you be punished for being predictable. The key is, if the opponent has already jumped in the air uafter you, it's completely safe 95% of the time to use Eruption - even if they dodge the attack, there's almost no way they can punish you without being on the ground. The exception is if they have a fast-shooting projectile (The Links, Spacies), and these projectiles don't have a particularly high chance of hitting you, nor are they devastating.

Comments/Questions?

Kirk

Smash Champion
In nearly all Ike video I see, the player usually has mind-games and mix-ups to the extent of jumping around and/or spacing awkwardly. I'd like to share some unexpected tactics that might catch your opponent offguard.

Reverse Quick Draw:
Run at the opponent, then use a Reverse-B QD to instantly head in the opposite direction. DJFF Fair follows nicely afterwards.
B-Reversal Quick Draws *can* work to an extent to add an element of surprise, but generally are not used a whole lot due to...better options in general.

Reverse Hyphen Smash:
Turning around your Hyphen Smash has two benefits - it looks funky, and striking with the end of your Usmash (as opposed to the start) means you recover faster from hitting (or not hitting) your opponent.
For those confused, the button input would be
dash > tap back > jump > very quickly tap up + a
Is good to use only if spaced properly...as with any of Ike's attacks. Can be noted that it is possible to do with with tap jump 'off' as well as 'on.'

Rising Counter:
In the air, Counter always stops your upper momentum, instantly. Thus, while ledge jumping, you can hold down and spam B to stop and Counter as soon as your invincibility frames drop.
Might work once, but that's it. Finding more ways to leave Ike completely vulnerable right at the edge of the stage is generally not in his best interest.

Ledge-to-Stage Aerials:
All of your aerials can land on the stage from the ledge with appropriate timing. You have to drop off the ledge (tap away from the stage to drop without fast falling) and instantly jump, aerial, and hold towards the stage. I'm not sure if you can land a Bair, but, how often would you want to, anyways?
Sure they all can be done(Bair can btw, and yes it has uses...situational as they may be), but Fair is really the only one you'd use to get back onto the stage. You just have to be sure you have enough space to pull it off safely.

Tip: Absuse Falling Eruption
The super armor on Eruption makes it fantastic for covering yourself while falling from an attack, however, due to its lag, many players will tell you to use it sparingly lest you be punished for being predictable. The key is, if the opponent has already jumped in the air uafter you, it's completely safe 95% of the time to use Eruption - even if they dodge the attack, there's almost no way they can punish you without being on the ground. The exception is if they have a fast-shooting projectile (The Links, Spacies), and these projectiles don't have a particularly high chance of hitting you, nor are they devastating.
Keyword being "if." And no, it's not 95% safe in the slightest. Even if they jump after you, they can just as easily wait outside your hitbox and wait it out. All comes down the the predictability issue. Remember we are assuming your opponent knows what they are doing. If you use it too soon, they it makes it all the more easier for your opponent to wait it out. Learn to time it uncharged for more of a "surprise" factor.

Comments/Questions?
Read Above.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
@ Kirk...

I can see you've criticized my post stating my tactics are certainly acceptable but rather situational, and I would have to agree. I don't need to spam these to win in any way whatsoever, I'm simply trying to add to the repertoire that is Ike Mix-ups. Also, you can Counter off the ledge fast enough to actually fall back off and Aether again, though I don't know how useful that is. Secondly, I know Eruption is so punishable, and although I admit to needing more skilled players to fight, I've just been having an enormous amount of success with it lately.

__V

Smash Journeyman
@ Kirk...

I can see you've criticized my post stating my tactics are certainly acceptable but rather situational, and I would have to agree. I don't need to spam these to win in any way whatsoever, I'm simply trying to add to the repertoire that is Ike Mix-ups. Also, you can Counter off the ledge fast enough to actually fall back off and Aether again, though I don't know how useful that is. Secondly, I know Eruption is so punishable, and although I admit to needing more skilled players to fight, I've just been having an enormous amount of success with it lately.
Most techniques are situational. And I'd have to agree about Eruption. Eruption's "super-armor" protects you from getting pushed over the top of the stage, and can also be used to gain the upper-hand when being air-attacked. However, it can be punished quite easily...

Top Bottom