• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Few Random Thoughts

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Having had my scrubby hands on Sonic for a good string of matches now, I figured I'd point out a few things that I've found that haven't been mentioned yet (to the best of my knowledge).

First, I spent a little time messing around with the quick homing attack. Common knowledge dictates that the faster you spam B, the faster the move comes out. However, that's not quite the case. The way it works is that there's a .75 or so second "dead zone" when the move starts up where you can't do anything. After this time, pressing B, A, or Z will make you do the attack part of the... attack. It doesn't actually make things go faster than spamming B, but it could be useful for more precise timing on your attacks, or at very least saving a bit of wear on your B button. :laugh:

Second is Sonic's Nair. There have been a lot of complaints around this move, since it has less range, knockback, and damage than the Fair without having a noticeably quicker startup. It seems to have been used most frequently to a) get a quick move when your opponent is slightly behind or above you and you don't have time to do an u- or b-air, b) avoid stale moves on the fair/bair, or c) killing pikmin. However, (and forgive me if this is common knowledge), it does have a use as a combo move. If you shorthop fair, Sonic hits the ground and bounces a bit, still twirling. While the move has enough knockback to keep you from being attacked during this time, it prevents you from following up with anything except maybe a luck spin dash. However, if you shrothop nair, you have almost zero lag frames on hitting the ground, and I've been able to rack up around 20 damage on fresh enemies by shorthop-nair-jab-comboing. (The jabs move you forward just enough per hit to keep you in range.) Sometimes the second punch misses, but it's still pretty useful. Also, I suppose you could pretty easily ftilt instead of jabbing, but I haven't played around with that yet.

As long as I'm here, I've got a question as well. Is there some sort of secret to getting extra speed off of the spin dash (down-b)? It always seems faster in videos than I can ever reproduce on my own given the same amount of charging time. It's probably either just my perception or perhaps I don't have a fast enough button-mashing game, but it probably can't hurt to ask. Hell, SonicOrochi will probably show up with what he assumed was common knowledge and makes the move twice as fast. ;)

P.S. I'm listening to the Angel Island Brawl music and it's pretty much rocking my world right now.

Ionizer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionizer
You hold the button to charge the Spin Dash (forward-B), you continuously tap it to charge the Spin Charge (down-B). Think of the forward-B as the Spin Dash from the 3D Sonic games (hold) and the down-B as the Spin Dash from the 2D Sonic games (keep tapping).

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm familiar with how the moves work in general, but I was wondering if there's any sort of trick to getting a bit more out of the down-b.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I think you're just perceiving it as being faster in the videos-- unless you found some way to slow yourself down.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
If you shorthop fair, Sonic hits the ground and bounces a bit, still twirling. While the move has enough knockback to keep you from being attacked during this time, it prevents you from following up with anything except maybe a luck spin dash. However, if you shrothop nair, you have almost zero lag frames on hitting the ground
You don't need to fastfall the fair. If you don't fastfall it, it should get autocancelled and you can follow up with another aerial or preferably a jump chase.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
You don't need to fastfall the fair. If you don't fastfall it, it should get autocancelled and you can follow up with another aerial or preferably a jump chase.
Hmm, well if that's the case, I've been accidentally fastfalling quite frequently. I'll need to check it out, but I'm pretty sure that just a regular shorthop-fair results in a substantial cooldown.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Actually, if you fair quickly enough after the short hop you can fast fall and not have any lag. I'm not convinced that it's a great approach like shffl'd aerials in Melee were, but it could have have it's uses.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Simple misinterpretation. He "auto-cancel"s the fair by not fastfalling it. Least, that's what it looks like to me. I 'onno, PM foxandfalco or njzsfinest, they're the same person.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I just checked it out and it looks like I was wrong. There seems to be lag if you start it up too late though, so I may have been a little sluggish on it.

Top Bottom