• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions

pwndj00n00b

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing samus for a while and there are two things I can't get down and I was wondering if anyone knows how to do them. The first one I've been wondering how to do is when phanna gets on the ledge and keeps firing off uncharged shots and keeps grabbing the ledge. How do you do that? The other technique I don't get how to do is the platform missile cancel. I know how to do it I just can't do it at all the stages with platforms. The only one I can seem to do it at consistently is at YS. When I try to do it at Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium, or Dreamland 64 I always end up going halfway through the platform but not going all the way through. If anyone can tell me how to do this it will be greatly apreciated.

Juce

Smash Ace
For your first question, all he is doing is edgehopping and shooting a beam. To edgehop, yo ulet go of the edge (Hit back or down on the control stick), and then immediately jump and shoot the beam. The lag from the beam will finish in time for you to grab bcak onto the edge and repeat. Samus can also do this with bairs, uairs, and sex kicks (although sex kick are harder to do).

Secondly, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to platform missile cancel on pokestadium, the only thing I can think is if you are starting the missile late, especially when doing a homing one, so just try to shoot the missile earlier.

As for Dreamland and Battlefield, there's a bit of a difference when you need to platform missile cancel. Instead of doing a shorthop, you have to double jump in order to get enough height. So what you do is jump, and then as soon as you're in the air, jump again and shoot the missile. Since when you double jump makes you go different heights, the closer you double jump to the first frame that Samus is airborne, the lower your jump will be. However, since any double jump makes the platform, trying to double jump perfectly is the fastest way to do those.

It's a little harder to learn and pull of consistently in place, but there are a bunch of setups you can use for it. Phanna rolls his thumb from Y to X and then moves it over to B to do this. I do something similar, but roll my thumb from X to Y to B, as it seems like more of a circle. You could also try X or Y to jump first, then use the control stick for the double jump an droll it forward to shoot the missile, but I've found that it sometimes results in accidental upBs.

I'm not sure if phanna has this problem with hi method, but with the way I do it (roll thumb over X to Y and then hit B) I sometimes hit A, since I'm rolling my thumb right around teh button and trying to go quickly. I think what it might come down to is whether you normally use X or Y to jump, as that should be the button you use for the second jump, as it'll probably feel more natural to you.

Oh, and you can also jump double tap X or Y, although in all likelyhood, that would be much slower than rolling your thumb or using the joystick.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wow Juce thanks. That was the only thing I every really had problems with...I tried the X then using the control stick to do the double jump and I had the up b problem..I never thought of rotating my thumb from X to Y or vise versa. I don't know why I didn't just ask phanna how he does it but meh >_>. Thanks. I am going to go practice that right now. I need to have it down before host considering it is the only thing I cannot do with samus almost perfectly.

Edit: And one question. How fast do you rotate your fingers from X to Y? I might do it too fast but I don't know I havent tried it yet I am just afraid since I have really fast fingers I will do it too fast and when I try to slow it down I will do it to slow >_>. So do you go immediatly from X to Y or pause for a fraction of a second? I might just figure it out in training but w/e.

pwndj00n00b

Smash Journeyman
Ok thanks for the help. Although I still can't get the edgehop beam. I know how to edgehop everything else and stuff its just when I do the beam I don't catch the ledge again I keep falling. Any help for that?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
And one question. How fast do you rotate your fingers from X to Y?
Out of all the levels I platform missile spam on, the only platform between short hop and full jump height that it's possible to double-jump too quickly for are the 2 lower platforms on Dreamland 64, on which I just make a mental pause before double-jumping. On any other level (battlefield, jungle japes, alternate forms of pokémon stadium, etc.) it isn't possible to do it too quickly. Samus' jump takes 3 frames before she's air-borne, and so you can DJ on the 4th frame without any problems. There might be a few other levels like DL64, but if I've played on them, I haven't missile spammed, because I would've noticed. But for all neutral levels and common counter-picks with platforms, SH or immediate DJC is great, with exception for DL64. On the plus side, it's the easiest to spam dual-homings on DL64; it's quite a chore on a level like Battlefield.

And Juce's going from X to Y to B is an interesting concept, I just do it the way I always have. For what it's worth, I don't have problems with A when missile spamming.

Ok thanks for the help. Although I still can't get the edgehop beam. I know how to edgehop everything else and stuff its just when I do the beam I don't catch the ledge again I keep falling. Any help for that?
It's just a timing thing, unless your blast is fully charged (in which case you can't edge-hop and re-grab afterwards without up-b'ing). I personally hit away with the C-stick then hit up on the control stick and then hit B. It's not the easiest thing, sometimes I do an up-b from the edge, and other times I fall off and do a back-air, but if you just focus on the timing it's not bad. You might also want to try hitting down on the control stick, X/Y to jump, then tap B. That's a safer way for me, it's just not the way I learned it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ok well I practiced for about an hour and I can do it perfectly now but I have a problem. I can do two Smash missles but I cannot do two homing missles..I find it really really hard for some reason >_>..Is there anything you do to do this as easily as a smash missle. Also I can usually homing on the top then smash on the bottom but I can never seem to do a homing missle while falling with still concentrating on DJCing >_>....

Juce

Smash Ace
It's just a timing thing, unless your blast is fully charged (in which case you can't edge-hop and re-grab afterwards without up-b'ing). I personally hit away with the C-stick then hit up on the control stick and then hit B. It's not the easiest thing, sometimes I do an up-b from the edge, and other times I fall off and do a back-air, but if you just focus on the timing it's not bad. You might also want to try hitting down on the control stick, X/Y to jump, then tap B. That's a safer way for me, it's just not the way I learned it.
On Dreamland you can't go too fast on the double jump, the only thing is that if you do double jump on the 4th frame you have to do the missile very shortly afterwards (few frame window) otherwise you won't land on the platform. If you shoot it late (especially with a homing missile), then that's when you don't land on it. So yeah, there's no need to pause when double jumping.

As for the beam, it's really easy to do when you just hit back on the control stick to let go, jump straight up (or hold forward a bit, so that you jump forward to counteract the push backwards that the beam gives) and then shoot the beam as soon as possible.

Also, it's completely possible to shoot a charge beam and grab the edge afterwards, I do it all the time.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Phanna!!! how do you do the homing missles? :(

Top Bottom