• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
I just switched to fox full time and I'm wondering some basic dos and donts as well as hopefully having a few specific questions that can be answered.

1. Is it worth it to fast fall to the ledge as fox? His fall speed seems pretty fast compared to a lot of characters so I'm not sure making sure I FF every time is worth the risk of me basically SDing if I don't grab the ledge.

2. What is the hardest character to waveshine (I'm assuming it's like doc or something) without dashing forward a bit?

3. I'll be posting videos for critique in a bit but I'd love some tips from some seasoned fox mains when they get uploaded. (I'll see if I can edit the title when they are up, if not I may just update the post here)

4, feel free to post any tidbits of just random fox specific stuff that you find interesting as well. I'm basically learning this character from the ground up.

Last edited:

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
I just switched to fox full time and I'm wondering some basic dos and donts as well as hopefully having a few specific questions that can be answered.

1. Is it worth it to fast fall to the ledge as fox? His fall speed seems pretty fast compared to a lot of characters so I'm not sure making sure I FF every time is worth the risk of me basically SDing if I don't grab the ledge.

2. What is the hardest character to waveshine (I'm assuming it's like doc or something) without dashing forward a bit?

3. I'll be posting videos for critique in a bit but I'd love some tips from some seasoned fox mains when they get uploaded. (I'll see if I can edit the title when they are up, if not I may just update the post here)

4, feel free to post any tidbits of just random fox specific stuff that you find interesting as well. I'm basically learning this character from the ground up.
1. What situation are you talking about in which you would FF to the ledge? Just to edgeguard? To camp ledge? Explain better what you are trying to do. But in general, Fox does fall very quickly as spacies are fast fallers, but the benefits of FFing usually outweigh the risk of an SD once you practice it enough.

2. I'm not sure on this one.

3. Waiting for video.

4. Who did you switch from fox from and what experience/tech skills do you already have? I wouldn't want to give you advice on how to multi-shine or wavedash if you already know how.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
1. What situation are you talking about in which you would FF to the ledge? Just to edgeguard? To camp ledge? Explain better what you are trying to do. But in general, Fox does fall very quickly as spacies are fast fallers, but the benefits of FFing usually outweigh the risk of an SD once you practice it enough.

2. I'm not sure on this one.

3. Waiting for video.

4. Who did you switch from fox from and what experience/tech skills do you already have? I wouldn't want to give you advice on how to multi-shine or wavedash if you already know how.
1. Basically any situation which you would want to grab the ledge. I find it a lot easier as other characters but with fox he just falls so fast that I wasn't sure if the difference would be neglegable and I should practice other things first.

4. I've been playing since early 2012. I'm pretty technical. I can do in-place and retreating SHDL like 80% of the time, shield drop consistently (both on hit and stuff like pivot shai drops for spacing purposes) waveshine some of the high traction characters around the stage, and am generally pretty fast. I'm no axe or anything but I can press buttons. Also, some fox specific stuff like multi shining on shield or hit on a consistent basis is still challenging for me.

I'm switching from Marth.

Last edited:

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
Do you still want advice on Fox if you are switching to Marth now? If not, do you have some Marth questions?

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
Oh ****, sorry I read that wrong.

1. FF to ledge is important for fox…but it's not a top priority. It's more important to work on his other tech skills. But keep in mind he requires a lot more tech skills and speed (particularly hand movement and inputs than Marth does). Focus on SHDL, multi-shines, waveshines, DD, shine spikes…all that good stuff.

4. Alright cool so you know all the basic techniques. But since Fox is such a highly technical player and so widely played it is important to hone those skills to near perfection, as well as develop a particular style to your play that makes you stand out from the standard Fox player with good tech skills. Coming from a Marth, you should be able to input some of you zoning and spacing skills. Work on shield pressuring and applying your tech skills to the correct situations. Once you have the hand speed, the rest is all just developing a personality and learning situational stuff like stages, match ups, reading opponents, etc.

Is there anything specific you want to know?

Top Bottom