• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions on MK

Sanjuro333

Smash Cadet
So I've come to the realization that I suck with Meta Knight. I don't want to give him up though. I'm having trouble fighting my friends who use Marth and Pit. I can't seem to be able to approach them efficiently. The dash attack has a lot of lag and the end which leads to me being punished if they block it (Which they do). A fair doesn't do much either due to Marth's sword and Pit's arrows.

I also struggle with edgeguarding. More specifically, I'm not the best at chasing people off the stage. I always seem to be a little too low or a little too high. I'm not consistent with it at alll and I usually end up getting punished in the end.

I would like to know what some good approaches are with MK. I would also like to know how to get better at edgeguarding. Are there any specific characters I should fight against? Are there certain moves that succeed more than others for that purpose?

Any other tips are welcome. Thanks.

D

Deleted member

try not to rely on the dash attack to get the job done.

the traits of the shield in brawl are amazing.

on an approach you can use your shield to cancel your run if you dont feel like dodging and against most moves sheild stun is almost non-existent allowing you to jump and up-b or f-air,d-air,tec.

also metaknights dodge is fast and on recovery against impatient players d-smash is a good quick option for a quick keep away =0

also you can aprroach with f-air and di away.with good spacing alot of chars. have a hard time punishing this.

also,in brawl edge guarding has become a lot harder,some chrs. its almost out of the question but if lyou do want to edge guard them try to get them b4 they get near the ledge.

you best options would be d-air,f-air,b-air,or up b.you could also use nuetral air wich has decent/better knockback but its harder at times to land depending on their char =0

also try ledge hugging(run off the ledge,hold towards it and youll grab it) in combination w/ the above as well.

RayJT9

Smash Rookie
A good tactic for hitting them when they're out is reverse shuttle-loop (towards the stage.)

For Marth, I find power-shielding his attacks and then d-tilt -> d-smash works wonders. If you can't do that, try shorthopping and then airdodging his sword, then when you land, d-smash.
--Ray

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I love the tornado (whatever it's called). You can initiate it from slightly above or slightly below and from pretty far to the side. As long as you don't get predictable with it, it's not a bad approach, especially if they're on a platform above you.

If they're below you, use it and then let yourself drop a bit and then mash b again to keep it going.

Other than that, all of MKs aerials are incredible, so use those. Any character with an aerial seems to be a good match up with MK, and Marth's sword is (imo) superior on the ground and still owns the air.

Anyone ever trying using his down-b for mindgames? I rarely use it, and because of that, if I attack out of it, I'm usually rewarded handsomely.

D

Deleted member

I would never dash-attack with MK, by the way. That's what an up-smash is for. Just tap the C-stick upwards while dashing.
agreed.even if you try to go behind their shields,sheildstun is almost non-existent in this game and they can still easily catch you.

The 5th Horseman

Smash Ace
When people get away from me, and on op. side of the stage, I simply jump and down B to them, It covers a lot of ground, And about edge guarding, I just use his standard B move, which works great.

But that's me.

D

Deleted member

When people get away from me, and on op. side of the stage, I simply jump and down B to them, It covers a lot of ground, And about edge guarding, I just use his standard B move, which works great.

But that's me.
you can also use down b to grab the ledge as well =0

D

Deleted member

note it can be done from the ground or diaganally from the air as well and you can also use it to gain invincibilty frames from a hang constantly giving safer options for say a ledge up-b.

D

Deleted member

haha np =)

what else are you working or having trouble w/for meta?

ropep0202

Smash Cadet
His down-B is one of my favorite moves when the opponent isn't expecting it.
Good on a dashing opponent.

D

Deleted member

His down-B is one of my favorite moves when the opponent isn't expecting it.
Good on a dashing opponent.
you have to be careful w/this move because you are not completely incible,only for about 3-4 frames.even when your invisible you can still be hit =0

a decent way to surprise an unsuspecting foe but not the safest =(

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
dsmash is really only a killing attack when they're standing right next to you. Otherwise, even at fairly high percentage, they'll survive, but it'll almost always set them up for edgeguarding. Because of this, I use it as a "get off me, you're too close" move instead of a killing move most of the time. Best time to do it for the kill is probably if you can force them to make a mistake when trying to get back on the stage. Just don't rush it. MK isn't good at that.

D

Deleted member

dsmash is really only a killing attack when they're standing right next to you. Otherwise, even at fairly high percentage, they'll survive, but it'll almost always set them up for edgeguarding. Because of this, I use it as a "get off me, you're too close" move instead of a killing move most of the time. Best time to do it for the kill is probably if you can force them to make a mistake when trying to get back on the stage. Just don't rush it. MK isn't good at that.
haha agreed since i mentioned it earlier as well =D
d-tilt is also a good alternative since it has tripping properties and you can link a free down smash =D

also ive come to realize when meta dodges most attacks correctly he can always get his d-smash off b4 they recover,or up-b =0

NullVortex

Smash Apprentice
Deep in the Middle of I-Suck-At-MeleeVille
For edgeguarding I typically go with dair's off the stage, with a nair thrown in there to stave off the knockback deterioration. I've been planning on using reverse shuttle loop to try and edgeguard people to recover below the stage though, since the autosweetspot allows reverse upb's to grab the ledge. I need to test this out though.

Mandelbr0t

Smash Rookie
I have a question,
Where are you supposed to position yourself on a revere shuttle loop? i can't reliably hit with it.

D

Deleted member

For edgeguarding I typically go with dair's off the stage, with a nair thrown in there to stave off the knockback deterioration. I've been planning on using reverse shuttle loop to try and edgeguard people to recover below the stage though, since the autosweetspot allows reverse upb's to grab the ledge. I need to test this out though.
already said this.were talking about d-smash because sanjuro was asking about some good approaches w/it >_>

I have a question,
Where are you supposed to position yourself on a revere shuttle loop? i can't reliably hit with it.

with the stage or the opponent?and do you mean normally or like,from a ledge??

Top Bottom