• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions/looking for tips for TO'ing my first big-ish tourney

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
Hey guys! So starting off towards the end of last semester, I started hosting Smash4 tournaments out of my dorm room. They were never too crazy, only having about 16ish people, but it was fun and a good experience for me, and helped me realize that I really like putting on tournaments.

Anyways, for this upcoming Fall semester, I'm pretty involved in my school's Hall Government, and I've been given the go ahead to host a Smash Tournament for one of our programs. With an optimistic estimate, I'm expecting about 80-100 people. It will be Smash4, with a singles and doubles bracket. With the venue I have in mind, I'm able to have one projector, and I've been able to scrounge up a few Wii U's (currently 6, still looking for more) so we're going to try and stream the one match on projector, and have the other setups on tables around the room. We'll be providing soda and chips, but I was thinking I'll probably have an hour or so for a dinner break. Onto the questions:

- How many consoles (ideally) am I going to need to have for this many people?
- Is just a straight double elim. bracket going to work, or do I need to have pools? Also, if someone can throw me a link on a detailed explanation of pools and how to set them up, that would be awesome.
- What is the best way to tell people where to play? I'll have the stations labeled but do I just assign randomly or is there a utility that does that for me?
- For my estimate of people, what's a rough timeline I can expect to follow? i.e., about how fast will everyone get done w/ singles, or doubles

Thanks for all the help in advance, very much excited to be helping build up a Smash community at my school, and hoping that everything runs well so I can keep on doing it!

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Hey guys! So starting off towards the end of last semester, I started hosting Smash4 tournaments out of my dorm room. They were never too crazy, only having about 16ish people, but it was fun and a good experience for me, and helped me realize that I really like putting on tournaments.

Anyways, for this upcoming Fall semester, I'm pretty involved in my school's Hall Government, and I've been given the go ahead to host a Smash Tournament for one of our programs. With an optimistic estimate, I'm expecting about 80-100 people. It will be Smash4, with a singles and doubles bracket. With the venue I have in mind, I'm able to have one projector, and I've been able to scrounge up a few Wii U's (currently 6, still looking for more) so we're going to try and stream the one match on projector, and have the other setups on tables around the room. We'll be providing soda and chips, but I was thinking I'll probably have an hour or so for a dinner break. Onto the questions:

- How many consoles (ideally) am I going to need to have for this many people?
- Is just a straight double elim. bracket going to work, or do I need to have pools? Also, if someone can throw me a link on a detailed explanation of pools and how to set them up, that would be awesome.
- What is the best way to tell people where to play? I'll have the stations labeled but do I just assign randomly or is there a utility that does that for me?
- For my estimate of people, what's a rough timeline I can expect to follow? i.e., about how fast will everyone get done w/ singles, or doubles

Thanks for all the help in advance, very much excited to be helping build up a Smash community at my school, and hoping that everything runs well so I can keep on doing it!
  1. 12 should be good but 16 is the absolute best, really depends on how much time you have though.
  2. Double elim is good for 64, anything above you should have pools. For pools just set them up like a normal tournament, seed better players higher and worse players worse, make sure the best aren't on the same side or pool though.
  3. Just call it out on a mic or speaker, TioPro has that I believe, for TVs, but you can just assign the station to the pool number.
  4. Depends on ruleset, you're looking at several hours of tournament.

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
  1. 12 should be good but 16 is the absolute best, really depends on how much time you have though.
  2. Double elim is good for 64, anything above you should have pools. For pools just set them up like a normal tournament, seed better players higher and worse players worse, make sure the best aren't on the same side or pool though.
  3. Just call it out on a mic or speaker, TioPro has that I believe, for TVs, but you can just assign the station to the pool number.
  4. Depends on ruleset, you're looking at several hours of tournament.
As far as seeding goes, I have no real way of determining who the best players are. What should I do about that, random seed?

Top Bottom