• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions from a new puff player

ZeroRev3rse

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I just have a few questions regarding punishes as well as walls of pain.

1. My friend was playing Marth yesterday and I was able to punish his dash grabs by crouching under the grab and resting. Does this also work on Sheik? What about other characters?

2. Can I punish a dash attack from a Marth or Sheik with a rest oos?

3. This may seem like a dumb question, but whenever I'm going for multiple bairs when trying to edgeguard, I end up turning around and being forced to fair instead. How do I stop this?

4. I'm having trouble understanding Sheik's hitbox for her Up B when edgeguarding, how does it work and is there a good way to avoid it?

Thanks for the help!

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
  1. You can crouch->rest grabs from Marth, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and a few others. Those are the ones you're likely to run into, though.
  2. You can definitely crouch cancel dash attacks into rest. Rest OoS I'm not positive, but it's not unlikely. I'll check later and edit this if no one has answered yet.
  3. Just get in the habit of bringing your control stick back to the neutral position right before every jump. This is a common issue for newer Puffs, you just need to play more and get used to moving effectively with her.
  4. Oddly I can't find a gif of the hitboxes when she up-b's while in the air, but just know that the hitbox is the same size and it comes out right before she disappears. You can be pretty safe when edgeguarding Sheik. Just get her far enough off stage so that she has to use her up-b, then hold the ledge, then when she up-b's on stage either rest her or bair her back off and repeat.

Last edited:

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I just have a few questions regarding punishes as well as walls of pain.

1. My friend was playing Marth yesterday and I was able to punish his dash grabs by crouching under the grab and resting. Does this also work on Sheik? What about other characters?

2. Can I punish a dash attack from a Marth or Sheik with a rest oos?

3. This may seem like a dumb question, but whenever I'm going for multiple bairs when trying to edgeguard, I end up turning around and being forced to fair instead. How do I stop this?

4. I'm having trouble understanding Sheik's hitbox for her Up B when edgeguarding, how does it work and is there a good way to avoid it?

Thanks for the help!
1. Crossie answered this relatively well in terms of which characters you'll be able to crouch under with ease. After a couple seconds of crouching however, Jigglypuff fidgets and looks both directions, making her hurtboxes a little bit "more grab-able" for lack of a better term. Jiggs only fidgets after a couple seconds of no movement, so wavedashing can reset that timer to be safe.

2. Both of these can be rested with crouch cancel and rest out of shield. Keep in mind though, if spaced correctly, the dash attacks might either go through you or fall just short of you, not allowing for either rest punish.

3. I believe the jump turnaround window to cancel is 4 frames (I'll have to double check). As Crossie said, you'll want to bring your control stick to neutral until you use your desired ariel attack. This would go in the order of (Bair --> Control stick to neutral --> Jump --> Bair and during the start-up animation of the Bair (Before the hitbox comes out) is when you should move your control stick in the desired direction of ariel movement.

4. As for edge-guarding Sheik, I've found that your two best options are to force her on to the stage, or meeting her outside earlier than expected. The first by taking edge as she gets close and punishing accordingly with the immense amount of landing lag she has as you can see above in Crossie's post ^. As for meeting Sheik early, I've definitely had a lot of success with meeting her well before she would attempt to Up-B back to stage and force a reaction to your approach. If you're early enough you can sometimes clip their jump with a fair, or force and early Up-B and edgehog. If you notice the opponent likes to combat the later strategy with a DJ Fair, then you can just bait it and punish with a clean Fair/Bair to close out the stock.

Top Bottom