• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS A few questions as a smash amateur...

Manthisis

Smash Rookie
So,

1. Is it better to jump with using Up on the circlepad, or pressing X or Y, or is it just preference?

2. Where is the best place to learn how to play specific characters to their best potential in SSB4?

3. Where can I learn how to play better in general? I know certain mechanics exist like teching, meteor smashing, vectoring (a new thing apparently), and such, but not exactly sure how to apply it in game effectively.

(also, for questions 2 and 3, will those not be available until a couple days after the game comes out?)

Thank you!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
1. Button-jumping is quicker and makes a lot of strategies regarding many quick inputs easier, so it's something you'll probably want to get in the habit of.

I can't answer 2 or 3 since I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you looking for a game mode to practice in, a list of strategies, a community, what?

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
1 I prefer using a button
2 Go to the character specific forums in character discussion
3. Practice Practice Practice. Play online.

Raijinken

Smash Master
So,

1. Is it better to jump with using Up on the circlepad, or pressing X or Y, or is it just preference?

2. Where is the best place to learn how to play specific characters to their best potential in SSB4?

3. Where can I learn how to play better in general? I know certain mechanics exist like teching, meteor smashing, vectoring (a new thing apparently), and such, but not exactly sure how to apply it in game effectively.

(also, for questions 2 and 3, will those not be available until a couple days after the game comes out?)

Thank you!
1. For low-mid level play (not pro or aspiring to be) it is basically pure preference. At a pro level, it depends on character. In past games, certain techniques were easier to do with certain inputs.

2. For now, just practice or watch streams of people playing. There isn't really a solidly defined "best" way to play any character, so the best thing you can do is just watch people play.

3. Same as 2, just play a lot. A good place to start (if you're new in general) is to just beat Classic with every character, especially working on higher difficulties. Beating that will basically require a high degree of mastery over teching and dodging, and will probably give you passive practice with launch influence/vectoring/knockback influence and spiking.

Basically, just play a lot. And play with whichever jump setting you're more comfortable with.

Manthisis

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the replies!

1. For low-mid level play (not pro or aspiring to be) it is basically pure preference. At a pro level, it depends on character. In past games, certain techniques were easier to do with certain inputs.

2. For now, just practice or watch streams of people playing. There isn't really a solidly defined "best" way to play any character, so the best thing you can do is just watch people play.

3. Same as 2, just play a lot. A good place to start (if you're new in general) is to just beat Classic with every character, especially working on higher difficulties. Beating that will basically require a high degree of mastery over teching and dodging, and will probably give you passive practice with launch influence/vectoring/knockback influence and spiking.

Basically, just play a lot. And play with whichever jump setting you're more comfortable with.
I've actually played every single smash since I was little, but only played Melee at a really extensive level. Even then, I was a child and extremely casual. At this point, I want to improve myself as a player. I enjoyed ZSS a lot when I played Brawl, so I plan to main her and learn her mechanics in this game...

If I had to ask one thing, is how do people chain combos together effectively, especially in the air?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Thanks for the replies!

I've actually played every single smash since I was little, but only played Melee at a really extensive level. Even then, I was a child and extremely casual. At this point, I want to improve myself as a player. I enjoyed ZSS a lot when I played Brawl, so I plan to main her and learn her mechanics in this game...

If I had to ask one thing, is how do people chain combos together effectively, especially in the air?
In Smash4, it is largely character-based. Sheik, for instance, can combo well after a throw. However, Smash4 isn't nearly as combo-oriented as Melee is, it's more focused on getting your opponent horizontally off the stage and chasing them off to spike (due to the large blastzones, multigrabs on the edges, multiple airdodges, and the relatively low hitstun compared to Melee). For Zero Suit Samus, I don't know the particulars of the combos, but I know if you can chase and land her upB, it will kill at a fairly low percent off the top (70-80 I think against certain characters).

Top Bottom