• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Disappointing Apex

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i think there's an online link main Naraku or something. Also there's a few top players that play link, just none that main him. Firo and A$ come to mind

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Hasn't he beat Isai before tho? o.o
Falcon vs. Link, which isn't a great matchup, especially on Dreamland. Isai wins with his better characters.

But to beat even Isai's lesser characters, you have to be world class, and Boom's obviously at that level.

Scuz I haven't gotten to know any of the big players
>:

So it's hard to watch if there's no one to root for. Any suggestions? I'd like to know if there are any good players that use Link.
Can't help with link, but watch top 8 and you're guaranteed two great players. Really almost any streamed match has one great, well known player. Plus the commentary is a great way to learn about the game.

Freon most_dope

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'm glad I got s lot of great responses from players I recognize and some I don't. Anyways, I think we just need more exposer. I feel like if the 64 community reached out to melee, we could get a lot more attention.
I know for a fact a lot of melee game think sm4sh is a snoozefest. At the same time, they might enjoy 64 as a side event. I don't think it should have taken over melee or 64 on Sunday but had the viewers been exposed, they might have liked it more than sm4sh.
This isn't the perfect solution but it might work.
Thanks

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Falcon vs. Link, which isn't a great matchup, especially on Dreamland. Isai wins with his better characters.

But to beat even Isai's lesser characters, you have to be world class, and Boom's obviously at that level.

Can't help with link, but watch top 8 and you're guaranteed two great players. Really almost any streamed match has one great, well known player. Plus the commentary is a great way to learn about the game.
Hmm
What about any good Fox or Jiggly mains? o3o

Annex

Smash Ace
There's a ton of great fox mains; go look a little bit
As for jiggs, I've noticed that most falcon mains also have really good jiggs, but few players main her
A mains poll thread would be cül, huh

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
There's a ton of great fox mains; go look a little bit
As for jiggs, I've noticed that most falcon mains also have really good jiggs, but few players main her
A mains poll thread would be cül, huh
time to type Fox Smash 64 and see what I get, lol.

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
Puff you could just look for isai in last apex.. or watch tacos playing her in the loser finals of this apex...
Fox there's Alvin,Cabelo and Boom too

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone ^,^ I'll definitely get to looking up these players tonight after work~

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
I didnt see the match vs dexter, i hope it was recorded... but vs banze was very nice, i though LD was gonna lose the entire time..

Capos

Smash Apprentice
All (I think) top 16 matches were on LaSmash, and all top 8 were on teamspooky. I'm sure they'll all on be youtube soon too.

MCG

Smash Apprentice
As an introspection exercise on the Apex 2015 event, I want to share the experience as a watcher. My comments will focus mostly on the negative aspects as a mean to stimulate the discussion on ways to improve the exposure of the smash 64 scene.

First off, I want to underline that I am well aware of the situation with the venue and that I understand that choices had to be made that would not please everyone. It really was an exceptional situation and I want to congratuale everyone involved in the organization of the event. However that doesn't mean we have to ignore the bad aspects. Especially, ones that could lead to greater visibility of both the smash 64 scene and the Apex event in general.

Let's see how everything went (from my perspective, if I have any info wrong, please feel free to tell me):

The stream schedule was released on smashboard relatively late (2 days before the start of the event). It's quite a short notice . I'm sure that more recording setups could have been brought to the event if we weren't told that 75% would not be streamed, 2 days before the event).

Initially, the stream time was bad but I can understand. Smash 64 had round 1, wave J on teamsp00ky on saturday and top-8 on VGBootCamp on sunday. Fine.

Friday, I learned what happened with the venue and I figured the schedule would change. As much as I could look on smashboards, no info was available about teams. Challonge brackets were not updated either.

Saturday, it should have started at 11am. Could not find the new schedule on smashboards. 1pm, sp00kyteam stream should have started they were showing some smash 4 I think. I watched the stream for ~15minutes, there were no mention of any changes, what happened with 64, which was what they were supposed to stream. Then at 8pm, a stream of WC/EC was mentionned on smashboards and we get to know that no singles were played that day. Later, a new schedule is released, smash 64 should start at 9am on sunday.

Sunday, it's ~2pm, no brackets were ever updated. Stream (la_smash once again, thank you so much) is available and we finally get some updates on how far are we in the tournament. Top-8 was supposed to start ~3pm according to the new schedule. IIRC, it started at what ~6pm? and was on teamsp00ky.

To recap, without la_smash's twitch, we would have missed almost the entire tourny. No viewers could have possibly be aware that the top-8 was much later than previously anticipated and not on VGBootCamp but on teamsp00ky.

During the whole tournament, the only bracket that was updated was the one for the doubles, and the top 16 bracket was lagging behind the stream (la_smash). Who played against whom before top-16? No idea.

I could not make it to Apex but I was very much interested in it. I wanted to be there and to follow most of the matches played. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. It's a terrible experience to have to look on smashboards, /r/smashbros, twitter and to realize that the information is so scarce. I can do it, but it sucks and the people that might be interested to invest their time to follow the scene would have given up.

Where do we go from now? Do we need more volunteers? How do we want to communicate to the audience of what's going on? With twitter available pretty much everywhere, it should not be a burden to have an official apex 64 account or something and just release the information about the schedule, stream schedule and results there. I just saw today that
Jimmy Joe had a twitter account and tweeted when top-8 was about to begin. I didn't even know about it.

The point I want to make is that, as a viewer, we were left in the dark and that sucks if we want to promote the game.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
As a viewer, myself, I had a very similar experience. All I knew was the twitch names of the possible streaming locations. Heck, I didn't even know Team Sp00ky was going to stream 64(I know it was a last minute ordeal) and I had no idea that they had started streaming. I believe most of the avid 64 viewers were in the dark.

I don't have a twitter account but after this weekend I'm feeling like I might need one. :/

Freon most_dope

Smash Cadet
I think a 64 Twitter account could be great. If anyone had personal connections to GimR or an apex to, this child be great. Are there specific to's for 64? If so, they child just run that account for the event/a week or so prior. This child also go got every national.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I think a 64 Twitter account could be great. If anyone had personal connections to GimR or an apex to, this child be great. Are there specific to's for 64? If so, they child just run that account for the event/a week or so prior. This child also go got every national.
You've come to the right person

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
On /r/smashbros, a poster said the following on Scar's "One Unit and the Melee Chant at Apex" post:
It's funny, 64 got absolutely shafted at APEX yet they barely make a peep. Melee, PM and SM4SH can learn a thing or two from how the 64 players conduct themselves, i dunno, to me they just seem to play to enjoy and hope others will enjoy, seems like all the others play to inflate their sense of self.
I hesitated to reply to this at first. Eventually, I came back to reply when I found cobr had posted

Cobrevoultion said,
oh, we were pissed. believe me. we get shafted EVERY apex. that's why i'm pretty apathetic over pm and brawl getting the boot, because 64 has been on the short end of the stick for years.

the thing is, most 64 players only play 64, and don't give a damn about the other communities in the sense of drama and streams and upsets and whatnot.

we were promised stream time and then got it cut to only include top8. i learned that the other games received top8 bo5's, and we only received top6 bo5's (both 7th place matches could've easily gone to 5, imo). our stream time on spooky was delayed because of this laughable smash 4 nonsense. we then had to sit through the annoying crowd and people walking in front of the monitor and blocking the view of the patrons.

so no, it's not that we barely make a peep, it's that people don't pay attention to the wrongdoings and assume we're alright with them. that's not the case.

the other issue is: i've usually been the most vocal one about it. i'm the one that takes it upon himself to do all the ******** and moaning at people in an effort to get things to change.

we wanted to run doubles ourselves at the clarion on friday afternoon. that would mean we could run singles on SATURDAY, and avoid the issue of playing in the ****ing morning on sunday. this did not happen, and it annoyed me. we had our own stream (shoutouts to LA_Smash) and pretty much everyone who would've participated was present.

didn't happen. of course, we were then forced to play in the morning (9am start) on sunday, and then have our finals begin at 6pm (mind you, most people planned accordingly; leave after finals at 5pm initially...that meant there were people who may've had flights booked that night who could've been in top8 who would've had to have left). i only know one person who likes morning smash.

what else can i say? the smash community as a whole gets ****ed often, and the 64 community gets ****ed even more often, yet somehow, we wind up having to do **** for ourselves.

truth be told, i'm honestly sick of it, and that's one of the reasons why i'm done. with smash, tourneys, the community, all of it.

this comment is gonna get buried in this thread, but rest assured that one unit has NEVER included 64. if it did, you'd see it hosted at more events. xanadu has been kind enough to add it to its weekly roster, and the scene down there has grown so much in the past few months.

i only wish other to's would do this in their areas.
NOTE: cobr didn't ask me to post this but I felt like he deserves to be heard. I know someone already posted for him in another thread but I couldn't let this go unnoticed

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Truth be told, Smash has never been FULLY united. Different people enjoy different games. Kinda sad we can't respect the other games, though. =/

Shears

Smash Master
I'm not on twitter but I guess I should start getting on that for exposing 64. I know GimR personally and the rest of the VGBC staff, there was no way they were streaming 64 on Sunday after the schedule change when they were overwhelmed with melee and everything else. I recognize this Apex to be a disaster just as everyone else has, but last years Apex wasn't as bad and I really feel next years Apex won't be as bad either. Thankfully we had la_smash who randomly on Friday when streaming crew battles had a peak viewership of 400+ which is pretty high for an unknown 64 channel unknowingly streaming an unknown event when the rest of Apex fell apart. Pidge has a huge twitter following from what I can tell and is really active in social media and reddit and I think she would make a great social media ambassador for 64. I can get 64 to have weekly streams on VGBC which turns out the 64 videos they have uploaded are some of the most watched videos on their channel, routinely having a couple thousand views and many cracking 10k and even 20k. My channel has several 64 videos, albeit low quality and not many views, but I have some random subscribers that have just stumbled upon it and have been very excited to see 64. There is definitely an audience for the community and I agree we need to do more to expand upon it.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Thankfully we had la_smash who randomly on Friday when streaming crew battles had a peak viewership of 400+ which is pretty high for an unknown 64 channel unknowingly streaming an unknown event when the rest of Apex fell apart.
The official apex twitter (14,000 followers, which really isn't that big) retweeted this tweet hyping the crew battle. I guess it just shows the power of having a strong twitter presence, as much as I personally hate twitter.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
My following isn't huge per se, I'm close to 1500 followers and 1500 facebook friends, but Shears if you ever want me to post anything about 64 give me the word and ill do it. A lot of my followers love that I'm into 64 and are interested in keeping up with it. There's definitely a demand out there so we need to carve our niche, if that's what we want.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
My following isn't huge per se, I'm close to 1500 followers and 1500 facebook friends, but Shears if you ever want me to post anything about 64 give me the word and ill do it. A lot of my followers love that I'm into 64 and are interested in keeping up with it. There's definitely a demand out there so we need to carve our niche, if that's what we want.
That's quite a lot of people, you know? XD

Gettin the Smash 64 scene more popularity would be great, especially if it involves making it known without the need of using Isai xDD

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
you are a very legit luigi!
Thanks! And yesh u got a smash boards account!
from the little I saw of you at apex you played wonderfully, especially in teams
really good stuff, dude
Thanks man :) I wish you witnessed my singles ;3
wtf i never even knew who maafia was at apex
I didn't even know you went to apex either, I was the kid with the black jacket and black and blue shirt (striped like ness'es) and green nike shoes

Sedda

Smash Champion
im trying to picture you but i cant remember you.

tom told me he played your luigi so i know you were there. i guess i forgot to ask around

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
CT Nyani is asking me about getting into 64, she was inspired when she saw me play at Apex and is looking into getting a good controller. She also had this to say:

"well you guys in 64 know who to call if your game needs a stream. CT has two channels now, for things like that specifically."

Pretty ****in' awesome if you ask me.

For those of you who make Twitter accounts in the next day or so, post your accounts here and I'll plug you on #FF (follow friday) to kick off 64 entering the social media world

These are actually pretty great. I know the guy who wrote them, he's legit in esports journalism. I took some of the advice in his ebooks and have been steadily gaining followers

Last edited:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
btw @ Shears Shears , you were wondering what to tweet? Streaming Xanadu is the exact sort of thing that Twitter is good for. If you have 500 followers, that's 500 people that will know about your stream and when it's live as long as you tell them.

Sedda

Smash Champion
btw @ Shears Shears , you were wondering what to tweet? Streaming Xanadu is the exact sort of thing that Twitter is good for. If you have 500 followers, that's 500 people that will know about your stream and when it's live as long as you tell them.
yo nintendude I heard you're gonna main samus in 64 from now on and take Clubba's money at Xanadu

pls confirm

Top Bottom