• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A crazy idea that came into my mind - "special counterpick stages"

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Sudenly, a strange idea came into my mind about a new type of ruleset: the addition of what I call “special counterpicks”.

Basically, a special counterpick stage is a counterpick stage where only characters that are placed in mid tier or lower in the currently tier list can choose.

But, how could the addition of special counterpick stages be a good idea for the brawl competitive scene?

There are 2 characters that are dominating the scene lately: MK and Ice Climbers. The first one is known for breaking the counterpick system and having the advantage against every character on almost all stages. The second one has exploitable weaknesses, but the current stage list tends to favor them a lot since it simply banned most stages that weren’t very good for them because the first one dominated on those stages too much against every character in the game.

So, I came into the conclusion that I need to organize a side tournament one day with the following changes:

A MK banned one with special counterpicks added.

However, banning MK would make ICs a really dominant character, this is where the special counterpicks stages acts, with the addition of them, ICs could be counterpicked by characters that doesn’t have a very good placing on the tier list, providing a little nerf to the Ice Climbers and giving a chance for the obscure characters to shine a little.

So, now I’ll present what stages I would personaly like to allow in a ruleset like this (i'm not 100% sure about those stages though, I may change my mind in the future):

Neutrals: Final Destination, Smashville and Battlefield

Counterpicks: Yoshi’s Island (Brawl) and Pokemon Stadium 1

Special Counterpicks: Brinstar, Lylat Cruise and Delfino

What’s your opinion about this?
Do you think this is a viable or stupid idea?

Last edited:

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Nothing is unviable until tested. In my opinion, this could work in a similar fashion to the 1-stock ruleset, starting from test tournaments.

Also I'd say Rainbow Cruise is a viable counterpick in this case, but that could be just because I love that stage.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
This is similar to what we've been discussing in Ontario for a month or so. Except our ruleset is "bring back the unity stagelist, but MK can only CP starters"

Top Bottom