• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A couple of friendlies and matches from my first tournament

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
hey man. i like to use captain falcon, but i turn to Ganon if i want brute strength. I love how fast you controlled him. I can learn stuff watching your playing style.

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
you might also wanna try more kicking attacks with ganon. they're his most range-y option. (jus my opinion. you could prolly jillion-stock my ***).

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
Against Falco

first things first - what the hell is with that chaingrab? he didn't DI at all, lol

you are a pretty technical player, but your general approach and overall strategy against that falco needs to be revised. if you keep approaching with short hops you'll always get stuck in your tracks by those lasers.

important note, FULL HOPE APPROACHES while doing AERIALS are much better, approaching with a full hop Dair is very good because if the falco decides to shl toward you he'll get stomped. (thank linguini for that advice)

if you get Dair-ed by falco, always try to tech a direction that won't get you Fsmashed, if you don't tech, you'll get shined or Utilted and combo-ed, if you do tech a direction that is fsmash range, you could easily die. luckily ganon has a very large tech roll so you may be able to avoid the combos and fsmashes quite easily.

the dash attack can be your best friend in this fight, just when you think nothing is working, try using jabs, dash attacks and tilts more, and try to keep at a range of 1 ganon ftilt.

last piece of advice, ROLL!! ROLLING, one of the most basic techniques in the game, it'll help you avoid lasers, combos, and possibly get you in a position where you can roll behind him and he leaves an opening.

Vs Ganon

I mean, you were really good at this match up, I'm glad you aren't above chaingrabbing. it often determines the victor. you did a good job using the level to your advantage too. just perfect your ledge game and you'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Illos

Smash Apprentice
^Yeah, I knew I was doing something completely wrong against the falco since I've never played that matchup before, lasers are a lot more annoying when they're actually happening to you. Thanks for the advice.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
I only watched the one match of you and falco on FD so thats the only one i will criticize you on. From what I observed, you have decent tech skill and your DI is good. The only bad thing about it was that the falco had almost no DI so I wasnt sure if I could base my comments on it. VS characters that are "counters" for Ganon, patience is your best friend. I know it sounds kinda corny but its true. jabbing falcos out of their ledgehops is easy and effective. learning the gimps and chain grabbing is good to know but sometimes it takes more than that.

The___cheese

Smash Lord
Not to sound like a weirdo, but you should work on your ledge teching, it can be crazy good for a Ganon, especially since sometimes you sorta warp into your opponent if you up-b immediately after the tech.

Deathanchor

Smash Apprentice
Very good Ganon. You would kick my butt any day. Oh just one thing, I think you could use Uair a little but more. It's one of the best edge guards in the game, and it's even considered a semi-spike if you can hit them with the end part of the animation, so it will send them down and back.

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
It seems like you made it very obvious when you were going to rush in for a grab, and your opponent knew and sidestepped. Instead of trying to beat the dodge, read your opponent and count on it. He seems a little side-step dodge happy so instead of the grab try a SHFFL'd dair or maybe a laggy move like a foward smash.

Also, most of the time you were getting hit when you approached in the air/were in the air. Maybe throw out some aerials so you can trade hits, which is always good with Ganon.

I hope this helps, probably not though.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Against ganon you need to tech chase better, a lot of times you could have followed up with an attack but rolled away or did a down-smash.

Illos

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the advice -

Not to sound like a weirdo, but you should work on your ledge teching, it can be crazy good for a Ganon, especially since sometimes you sorta warp into your opponent if you up-b immediately after the tech.
Yes, I need to, I don't think I can ledge tech even semi-consistantly with any characters.

Regarding the ganon-ganon matchup - I play that guy all the time and 2/3/4 stock him so those matches played more like friendlies than actual tourney matches. I was doing an innapropriate amount of down smashes that day though.

Top Bottom