• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A compromise for Custom Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
So with the recent discovery of Smooth Lander, a speed equipment boost that has lower landing lag on all move as it's trait, people have been debating over if this one item should be legal. Well, I have a compromise for ALL moves to be legal minus one with extra traits, which is debateable.

I believe that Custom Equipment should be useable, but the abilities cannot pass the +9 Mark or else it's illegal to use. This way it's not exceedingly powerful but if players are seeking a boost in a stat for a character that isn't the best in that department, they can add a slight one. If this was allowed we could also have Smooth Lander, which expands the possibilities on characters aerials.

Yes, I know that the game just came out but even so who doesn't want lower landing lag?

nyttyn

Smash Cadet
Smooth lander can't even go that low, as far as I'm aware. All the ones I've seen, even the brawn badge ones (which have the lowest possible attack boost) are all well above 10 (and granted, I've only seen like 3, because they're so goddamn rare) - which tells me that Smooth Lander does not apply a significant enough penalty to reach your proposed standards, as Smash 4 equipment variation isn't terribly extreme.

I mean I think this is an awful idea to pitch to TLs because it's way too complex, but it's also impossible in the first place unless it comes out that Smooth Lander +9 equipment is even possible. AFAIK the only equipment that can reach that low is critical hit and friends (the super powerful ones that do like 1.3x on meteor smashes), which I've seen go as low as +6.

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
How hard is it to enjoy Smash 4 for some people? No offense, but if you guys want a more Melee -esque experience, you already have not just one, but two games dedicated to that.
Smash 4 is meant to be viable for campy/strategic and more rushed/aggro players alike. One will prevail, sure, but it doesn't seem to be that great a difference. Why is it that people despise diversification so much and want all characters across all Smash games to play so homogeneously? I'm not a pro by any means, and all major tournaments are way too far for me. But as a spectator, I've had over 10 years to witness Melee tourneys. If we're making Smash 4 play like Melee, I can tell I won't watch any of them.
I can understand people raging over things like tripping in Brawl, matters that are objectively bad for the game. But seriously, landing lag isn't THAT long this time around. Or let me rephrase that, landing lag is pretty logical in length. I feel like some just want to spam Knees of Justice around the place with no risk.
But this comes down to a matter of convenience, I believe. People are used to playing a game where aerials, when L-cancelled, have basically 0 risk in terms of mobility constraints, and some are bothering more about turning Smash 4 into Melee rather than learning how it plays. You have the right, of course, but I, again, as a mere spectator, hope this doesn't go forward in the major scene.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I think if we limited equipment by banning all equip with effects, it might be somewhat viable, but I still see no real reason to allow it. It basically just exists for Smash Run.

It's custom moves that are more worth talking about.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Please post this to one of the existing threads discussing custom equipment and/or smooth landing in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom