• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A complete video guide to mewtwo tech!

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
First off the video https://youtu.be/07QPSxLXaEU

I will try and explain in greater detail each tech that I labeled 1-19
The names and phrases I used for each tech are my own creation and I do not know any "official" terms.

1) Hopless Confusion (side-b)
2) Hover cancel onto platforms
3) Platform drop hover cancel
4) Ledge hop hover cancel
5) Empty hovers
6) Cancel tumble with hover
7) Double jump extend
8) Confusion pull through (battlefielding)
9) Jump double jump teleport
10) Ledge cancel mid teleport
11) Super Ultra Ninja Cookies
12a*) Telebrake
12b*) Teleport footstool
13) Teleport "autocancel"
14) Teleport ledge stall
15) Double Jump Landing
16) Jumping backwards allows for perfect wavelands
17) Aerial wavelands
18) DJC Nair OOS
19) There are 3 kinds of grabs

* I mislabeled these 2 techs and only noticed after rendering and uploading! Please forgive me!

Some terms:

No Impact Landing.
This is a special kind of landing that avoids the typical landing animation. There is no lag on these landings and allow for instant action.

ECB = Environmental Collision Box.
To the best of my knowledge this box is the deciding factor of when a model is touching the ground.

DJC = Double Jump Cancel.
Aerials will cancel the vertical height from the early parts of your second jump.

OOS = Out of Shield.

Hover Cancel.
Any aerial done during hover will have no landing lag. Interrupting an aerial by hovering into the ground has the same effect.

1) Hopless Confusion (side-b)
Confusion typically has a little bounce to it that can be pretty inconvenient at times. When your hover ends from letting go of jump or running out of time, you can input confusion and it will no longer have this little hop.

Why it is useful: If you do empty hovers(5) and regular short hop hovers, you can mix it up further adding a command grab into the mix.

2) Hover cancel onto platforms
Platforms allow for a convenient floor to hover cancel on.

Why it is useful: Approaching an opponent from below is a risky move but if they shield, you would like as little lag as possible on your attack.

3) Platform drop hover cancel
Hovering I believe raises your ECB enough that you can input hover and land even though you have gone through the platform. You can also double jump cancel an aerial and it will land but it is far less effective.

Why it is useful: Typically to hover cancel an attack, you need to go through crouching frames and then hover and then fall for some time. Doing this allows you to cut most of that time away. The crouching frames and the falling frames are completely gone.

4) Ledge hop hover cancel
A ledge hop (tournament winner) does not use your second jump. Since in PM you can cancel the jump, you can use hover and net a lot of actionable invincibility frames. The hardest part about this move is actually getting to ledge with out using double jump or hover beforehand.

The 3 examples I showed to achieve this are:

Teleporting from stage to ledge.
This is a great way to retreat if you are being pushed back. I think it is somehow related to tech (10).

Getting pushed off.
This situation will happen very often and since you are pressured backwards you can counter really safely.

The unsafe ledge stall.
This is not the safest but has its uses. You just ledge hop and airdodge back towards ledge.

Why it is useful: Out of all the ledge options, this is the absolute best. This allows you to do almost your entire kit with invincibility starting from the moment you touch the ledge.

5) Empty hovers
Holding down and pressing jump and holding it allows for hovers as soon as you leave the ground. You can continue to press down to fall into the ground. This will give you a no impact landing.

Why it is useful: This is another way to position yourself and it is pretty safe. You can waveland back in reaction to your opponent at any point before you land. It's a no impact landing!

6) Cancel tumble with hover
Holding jump during hitstun will allow you to completely avoid the tumble after.

Why this is useful: It is not always clear or easy to tell when you are out of hitstun (especially with the amount of matchups). If you can skip the tumble phase you can airdodge on reaction a lot easier. Typically you need to mash the stick left and right to get out of tumble or use an attack.

7) Double jump extend
At the peak of your jump, there is window where instead of canceling your vertical height, you can actually increase it.
Neutral b seems to be the most effective way to do this as you can cancel it at any time. Any aerial can also extend the jump which is useful if you need height and a hitbox.

Why it is useful: Higher second jump!

8) Confusion pull through (battlefielding)
This classic trick from melee is back in PM with even more stages! Battlefield, Smashville, and PS2 are all great stages to do this on.

Why it is useful: This trick rarely works more than once but can give you an advantage against any unsuspecting players. Most people who know about this move will respect your space on ledge. Even the players who know about it can be surprised if you use it sparingly.

9) Jump double jump teleport
This move used to allow hover in 3.5! Now it is only useful to allow you to airdodge out of hover at the cost of jumpsquat frames.

Why it is useful: Teleport wavelands are a quick way to get from a to b. You can airdodge a threat even though you teleported beforehand.

10) Ledge cancel mid teleport
I don't fully understand why this happens. The important thing to know when trying to do these is, your control stick must be either neutral or not anywhere south of the deadzone.

Why it is useful: This will return your second jump which is always good and allows teleport double jump canceling. This is also another way to airdodge out of teleport.

11) Super Ultra Ninja Cookies
The great TAJ from melee coined this term for a very simple but effective way to get to ledge and steal people's cookies.

Why it is useful: You should have a lot of options in your bag of tricks to get to ledge. Mix it up.

12a*) Telebrake
The example in the video is not the best example of this great move. A horizontal knockback attack that you DI into the ground and bounce is required. The moment you leave the ground and get in the air is the time to teleport.

Why it is useful: This can save you a lot of off stage time if used correctly. Be very careful if you time this wrong or do it at too high of a % as it will make your teleport very short and kill you. (at high % DI down you are likely dead anyway)

12b*) Teleport footstool
This is a semi useful tech but should be considered anyway. Double jump cancel allows your footstools to be followed up extremely easy and with great frame advantages.

13) Teleport "autocancel"
My personal favorite thing to do. Teleporting at just the right height from the ground will give you the same landing as just falling and landing on the ground. If you do not have your second jump this is an extremely precise angle and difficult to master. Teleporting with your second jump allows for 3.5 style autocancels which are much more lenient on the angle.
Teleporting from the bottom of battlefield to the top platform is the perfect distance for a teleport autocancel.

Why it is useful: Quick burst movement and very fast way from the air to the ground with little lag.

14) Teleport ledge stall
After woop woop woop was murdered, this old style melee ledge stall was brought back into action.

Why it is useful: Completely invincible ledge stall with many options to mix up from.

15) Double Jump Landing
This is extremely hard if you do not jump backwards which changes your ECB. The timing is difficult to explain.
For a regular jump through platform, you need to get the double jump ring (that all characters make when they double jump) to be just below the platform.
Double jumping just before landing on the ground also gives a no impact landing.
Normal jumps are a 1 frame window.
Backwards jumps are a 4 frame window.
Backwards fast falling jumps are a 2 frame window.

Why it is useful: This cuts out your normal landing lag completely and allows for instant action.

16) Jumping backwards allows for perfect wavelands
Normally Mewtwo cannot perfect waveland. Perfect waveland is a waveland completely horizontal on the control stick.
The ECB difference works out in his favor here as well.

Why it is useful: This gives a luigi style waveland that is not normally allowed because of our EBC.

17) Aerial wavelands
Uair, Bair, and fair all end soon enough to allow for wavlanding. Fair is by far the hardest with a 1 (maybe 2) frame tolerance.

Why it is useful: A waveland can catch an opponent off guard if done right before you land and seemingly during the time you'd be landing with lag.

18) DJC Nair OOS
A simple out of shield option for an opponent that is pressuring your shield.

Why this is useful: This puts out the last tick of nair which will knock opponents down even while crouch canceling at very low %.

19) There are 3 kinds of grabs
The 3 grabs available and the grab boxes.

The dash grab example in the video was done out of a moonwalk for mix up reasons.

The pivot grab example in the video was done by dashing and then pivot grabbing.

There you have it! I spent a great deal of time putting this all together!
I hope this guide helps fellow Mewtwo players freshen up their game.
I also hope this inspires new players to give Mewtwo a shot and maybe liven up these M2 boards!

Please help advance M2's meta and discuss these tech's below in the forums here.

Thank you for watching and reading!

Blu2

RadicalFuzz

Smash Cadet
Cancelling tumble with hover is really useful in the Fox matchup if the Fox is mixing up which side he's up-airing on. Cancel tumble with hover, mash the triggers, and sway to ledge if at all possible. Do you have any advice for performing the teleport from onstage straight to the ledge?

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
To get the teleport from stage to ledge, you need to make sure you face the ledge when you come out of teleport. If you are holding down or near down, you will pass through edge but wont snap. You will likely still have your 2nd jump if this happens.

RadicalFuzz

Smash Cadet
What angle does the teleport need to be at? Is it lenient, can I "slide" off the edge while teleporting but still get the snap?

Top Bottom