• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A chat with Ryota "Captain Jack" Yoshida

This is the original, uncut version of this interview that was published on April 14th, 2016. To read the edited version, click here.

Pikapal: How did you first get into Smash?

Captain Jack: My Smash career dates back to January 21st, 1999, the day of the release of Super Smash Bros. 64. When I turned 14 two days later, a family member gave it to me as a birthday present. Nobody could have imagined that this game would change my life in the future.

After getting the game, I mainly played junior high school classmates and I was the best among them. Although it was very fun, I started to become bored of winning with such ease.

My parents gave me a Nintendo 64 as a birthday gift when it was released. Without their contribution, Captain Jack may have never existed.

1-2 years later I got an Internet access in my house. One day while I surfed the internet, I found a forum about Smash. I wrote my opinions there, and I soon participated in my first ‘Ofu-kai’ (offline meeting). [The meeting] was in Osaka and there were 6-8 players, including myself. They seemed to be meeting for the first time, also like myself. We did a round-robin and I won every match. [In retrospect,] that was a wonderful result for someone who took part in a Smash-fest (albeit a tiny one) for the first time. From that moment, I started to believe in my talent in this game little by little.

This continued to Melee in 2001, when I was 16. I won numerous national tournaments such as the famous Ketsubato series in Kyoto, and National United Smash Festa 3 years in a row, including the first year, when Smash 64 was played.

As you guys may already know, I owned a website named “JACK GARDEN” where I uploaded friendly and tournament matches of top players worldwide, before the birth of YouTube. The site got very popular quickly, as I was quite well-known from traveling to Japan, USA, Australia, and Europe. I remember that I was the only smasher who travelled the world for nothing but Smash.

After the success of JACK GARDEN, I organized the “Jack Garden Tournament” in Kyoto, housing Ken. Isai, and 4 other players from abroad in my parents' house. That was so fun.

This is a side story, but one of them will be coming to my marriage ceremony in June. In total, more than 10 smashers including one Australian player will be coming to my ceremony. I’m so happy to have such relationships through Smash Bros.

My Smash career went on, nationally and internationally.

PP: What was it like being one of the best players in the world when the game was so young?

CJ: [Being at the top] felt completely great. I can say that my career made me confident by making a world tour through Smash and winning numerous tournaments. In Japan, it is said that people are sort of afraid and nervous of communicating with foreigners because they think [Japanese people] don’t speak English and simply lack experience. Now I have no qualms about communicating with you guys all thanks to Smash.

Addtionally, I love Smashers abroad very much. You guys are very respectful to me and other Japanese players too, and the players' mentality and marketing are much more matured compared to Japanese. It was an honor to me to have been able to play abroad.

PP: What was it like traveling to the US for the first time because of Smash?

CJ: I came to the US for the first time for Smash at the age of 19 in 2004, and it was absolutely fantastic. Especially for me who love traveling, languages, exotic stuffs, beautiful white girls (oops), my Smash career allowed me to have valuable experiences with local Smashers.

Of course, it helped me a lot to expand my world. First time I went to San Francisco, I found two barrels rolling over from far. They were actually two super size ladies. For me, the American’s obesity then was the biggest culture shock of all time. It is really fun to know, see, watch, and experience something incredible that you’ve never seen before. Discovery is so hype.

PP: What were the differences between American players and Japanese players in-game and outside of the game? How have those differences changed now?

CJ: First of all, the answer is this: in-game, we have different ideas on the policy of “we do everything we can do in the game”. Outside of the game is people’s spirit.

Let me give you an example by telling you one of my most memorable moments in Smash. In the Grand Finals against Azen of Tournament Go 6, I was a foreigner participating from Japan, and there were about 100 Americans in the audience. I felt really far away from Azen. However, when the game started, I heard everyone call ‘CAPTAIN JACK!! CAPTAIN JACK!!’ Although it was really tough to resist Azen’s Sheik’s chain grab with my Red Sheik, something that I never saw in Japan as people thought it was unfair, the people’s ‘CJ call’ made my heart skip and it was absolutely unforgettable, even after 12 years. This kind of atmosphere, you could never experience in Japan at that time.

I believe that the in-game difference is the attitude to the game based off this example. We (the Japanese) never chain-grab with Sheik as it is too cheap and nobody is happy about it. One more thing I feel that is strange in international tournaments is that the pause button is not always turned off.

The CJ call is a good example of the out-of-game differences. [Americans] are upbeat guys and I love that. In Japan, “nerds” do not usually hang out with "jocks" . However, in the US, I saw that many “nerds” were chatting with “buff jocks”.

PP: Tell us a bit about your life outside of Smash.

CJ: Well, let me introduce myself once again. My name is Ryota Yoshida, known as “Captain Jack” in the world Smash community. I am one of the oldest Smash players, starting my career in 1999.

I was born in Kyoto, the “cultural capital” of Japan. I have 3 little brothers and the youngest brother is very talented in Smash.

At the age of 14, I named myself Captain Jack after the German music group of the same name that provided their songs to the dance completion music series of “Dance Mania”. You guys know Captain Jack though Dance Dance Revolution, right? There were 2 big popular groups in the early Dance Mania series. One was Captain Jack, and the other was E-ROTIC. I was 14 years old, and I was wondering which one I should name myself after. If I were a bit more stupid then, my screen name would have been E-ROTIC and I would get sponsored.

After graduating from high school, I decided to learn French language and culture to expand my world. I wavered between learning English, French and Chinese, but I omitted English because I had been studying it for 6 years already. I then had to chose between romantic France and business Chinese. Of course, I chose romantic French.

During my third year of university, I went to Angers, France, to brush up my French for 1 year. [In Europe,] I participated in many Smashfests and European tournaments, and I even met Armada many times there. Even if my French is still far from perfection, it highly expanded my entire life.

After graduating university, I made a journey from the top to the bottom of Africa. The motivation to travel came from experiencing the most valuable experiences I could ever imagine before becoming a “shakai-jin” (any kind of worker after education or training). When I thought of my next vacations longer than 1 month, it would be in 43 years, according to the Japanese working system. In 43 years, I would have been 65. That’s why I decided to go to Africa, where I felt the farthest away in every way.

When I was traveling by bus and international railway across countries, a strong feeling came to my heart at night in a one-dollar hotel. “One day, I will make a tour of whole world, to see all existing countries." Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa… The influence of 70 days of Africa was enormous. Meanwhile, It was sort of shock of the fact that I, having traveled to 20 countries in the world by then, knew only 10% of the entire world. But, that dream requires time and money. And health. I didn’t know what to do.

After coming back from Africa, I went to Korea and France one month later. I reconnected with a French girl who had rejected me the last time I was there, and we became a couple. That moment in a bar after operation hours was absolutely where my French was the most fluent in my life. I went back to Japan, promising her that I would be back again in a few months. 4 months later, I was in France again for the second time and we had a great time together. 3 months later, in August, I took 12 days of summer vacations to go to France, which are seriously long for a Japanese salaryman and came to see her to Angers. 3 days after my arrival, during the Smash tournament, she told me she wanted to leave me. The reason was that she was too sad to be alone in France. She told that she would be still sad even if I could come to see her every month. I gave up. Although I kept going to France every 3 months by being a hard-working Japanese salaryman, it was too little for her.If I had enough time and money, and could stay in France regardless of my work, there was a chance. I kept trying.

After coming back from France single, I seriously looked for a way to get time and money. Well, I found it. But… 3 years later, I was cheated by a con man who was one of my clients and fell into debt. This is why I disappeared from Smash community for a long time. The debt still remains, but the enthusiasm surrounding Smash was too attractive and irresistible.

PP: What inspired you to come back to Smash?

CJ: Good question. Until recently, the last time I played Smash was January 23rd, 2015, with my dear Smash friends, “Team Shinjuku”. That day was my 30th birthday and the day I proposed to my Finnish fiancée, Juulia. It was so unforgettable. I asked them beforehand to take videos and pictures of the proposal moment for me, then I came to their apartment to say thanks at midnight. They proposed 4-player money matches with items with a big advantage for me. I could choose any characters I want (that is to say, Sheik or R.O.B.), they could only choose random. Haha, thanks guys! I’m going to take Juulia to a good Sushi restaurant thanks to you guys! 4 hours later, I lost $40. We went back home sad at 4 am on the day of the proposal. She was still happy to be with me holding a bouquet of flowers.

Well, let me get back on track. That was the last time I played Smash, because I moved to Kansai (West Japan) from Tokyo one month later for work. A year later I had a plan to go to Tokyo so I called them to gather to play Smash. I just wanted to see how good I was after my break and how much they improved. I didn’t think I could have any chance to win at all. In fact, I did really well against them even though I only watched tournament matches on YouTube sometimes. At that time, I realized how I am talented once again. Sorry if I seem arrogant to say this, but it was really incredible.

Since that day, I wanted to make a comeback on the Smash scene. I finally bought a Wii U and Melee, and I tweeted on Twitter and got 318 retweets and 1033 likes in 9 days. I was really surprised about it. I just tweeted, saying “legendary comeback” by myself as just kind of a joke. But the reality was there. I felt like people were asking me [to make a legendary comeback]. So, why not?

Oh, and I was about to forget an important thing. I replied to ZeRo on Twitter and he told me he knew me, moreover we took a picture together. I didn’t remember at all, until he sent me the picture of us. We definitely took a memorial picture together. That was the moment a mental block was removed. “I was already asked for a picture by the current No.1 of Smash 4!” This fact helped me mentally to become a top-level player once again.

PP: What is your favourite moment in your Smash career?

CJ: Every journey and tournament has a story, so it's not easy to choose only one. When you come down to it, I’d say my favorite moment is the aforementioned Captain Jack call from the TG6 Grand Finals against Azen.

PP: How has the community changed over the years?

CJ
: I have noticed that Smash has evolved into a giant community. The older people get, the more mature the community becomes. 17 years since the release of Smash 64 has improved the entire Smash community.

The most notable change in our community has been the monetization of Smash. Now that old players are adults, we have other things we have to do in our lives. If playing Smash makes money, it can be a drastic help for working Smashers. Even if the financial success is limited for some top players, I think it is a wonderful change, as I could never think of getting money other than money matches. In my era, it was just a dream that Smashers could obtain sponsors one day.

PP: What are your goals in your return to Smash?

CJ
: Undeniable No.1 of Smash, traveling the entire world! Japan, North America, South and Middle Americas, and Europe. (Africa, Middle East, and Asia? If someone gives us an invitation, why not!)

PP: Do you have anything to say to your fans?

CJ: I always appreciate you guys for your warm support and encouraging messages. Now that I’m making a comeback, my goal is to be the No.1 of the world, in both Melee and Smash 4. My wife and I are willing to come to big tournaments overseas in the near future. We are really looking forward to meeting you again soon.

PP: Most importantly, why do you love Smash Bros?

CJ: I’m asked to add the most detail to this question, but I have to confess it is really hard!

Knowing that I already spent more than half of my life along with Smash, even if I was separated from it for awhile, my heart has been always with Smash. So being together with Smash is kind of normal and natural for me.

However, if I had to answer this question seriously, I would say I love Smash simply because I’m good at it. I think I have a talent in this game. I’m happy and proud of it. Smash made me a confident man too, and allowed me to experience a lot of fun things. I really appreciate it.

If there is a one thing I regret in Smash, it’s that I didn’t get a kiss on my cheek from a cute blonde girl before I was married, like Mew2King did.

To all loved Smashers, thank you very much for reading. If you have something you want to know about Japan or make a contact to the Japanese community, don’t forget that you guys have Captain Jack here! The Smash community worldwide is now growing like never before. Let’s pump up our Smash community more and more together! Glory to Smash!

---​

Follow Captain Jack on Twitter@CaptainJackSSB4 and email him at smash@captainjack.jp for business inquiries.

Last edited:

Comments

"Especially for me who love traveling, languages, exotic stuffs, beautiful white girls (oops),"

That had me dying.

Welcome back, Jack. Have fun and enjoy taking all the stocks.

"First time I went to San Francisco, I found two barrels rolling over from far. They were actually two super size ladies."

****ING SAVAGE.

This article reminded me of how amazing the pioneers of our community are. Without Jack Garden I would never have found Melee in the first place. Respect to his positivity

Last edited:
Top Bottom