• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"A challenger approaches..." Practice for novices?

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
I'm someone who is pretty new to the competitive scene in Melee and is eager to get more involved. I've only been to one local tournament and at that time I was one of the worst there but have improved a lot since. I still don't expect to stack up very well however and I'm trying to figure out the essential things I need to practice to be a real contender. I'm hoping people can give me some advice. Mainly what I have been working on lately is just getting to a point where maneuvering a stage effectively is second nature so I've been hammering wave landing exercises which at this point I've gotten very good at doing very quick and clean and many times in a row with little to no failures on every legal stage with all three of my characters (Luigi, Link, Young Link.) I'm also pretty happy with my knowledge of good combos for these particular characters so I'm at a point where I'm wondering what I should be practicing next. For the time being I'm just working on L canceling better since it's something I've always had trouble doing consistently (mainly concerned with nailing it after down airs with the two Links.) Just for a bit of background info I have one training buddy who is on roughly the same skill level as me and we have a chance to play pretty often. If I feel like playing when he's not around I do things that don't require an opponent or do combo drills on a CPU who has pretty normal DI (to my understanding level 6 fits that bill.) Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Once you get the essential techniques down naturally, you could try playing Street Fighter online when you don't have a human player you could play with. Winning in that game is about making explicit reads. It'll help teach you prediction

Top Bottom