• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A bit frustrated With YL dieing early

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I really enjoy playing this character. Though to be honest I am so tired of getting knocked back so far so easily, dieing at 90% from a smash, struggling to get back on stage or getting gimped because our recovery isnt the best, and having trouble killing. YL dies easy and is hard to kill with consistently with opponents living at crazy percents most of the time. I just find myself really frustrated with him because he's such a fun character. Am I alone in this thought? Do you still consider him to be high tier?

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Smash 4's top tier character was one of the lightest in the game. Many say Ultimate's best is Pichu right now, who IS the lightest character in the game.

But that's the tradeoff. Young Link is a combo/set up machine and can rack up damage like it's a business. But he himself dies easily and cannot kill as consistently as others. I play both Adult and Young Link and find that I am much more cautious at 70%+ as Young Link because one hard read can end him.

Remember, if you're having trouble getting kills it doesnt always have to be done from the stage. He's amazing at edgeguarding.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for replying TriKnight. As a link player how do you find TL vs Link. Do you see them as equals?

And I hear what you are saying and agree, but also feel like pichu has great recovery and doesnt have trouble killing as much as YL (or am I wronge?) Also I do get that YL can rack up damage (though Im not so sure he does more than anyone else really) but if the opponent is living twice as long it doesnt seem like it really matters much. But i hear what your saying about edge guarding. Thats something I feel he does do decent at.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Thanks for replying TriKnight. As a link player how do you find TL vs Link. Do you see them as equals?

And I hear what you are saying and agree, but also feel like pichu has great recovery and doesnt have trouble killing as much as YL (or am I wronge?) Also I do get that YL can rack up damage (though Im not so sure he does more than anyone else really) but if the opponent is living twice as long it doesnt seem like it really matters much. But i hear what your saying about edge guarding. Thats something I feel he does do decent at.
Pichu also weighs about 20 points less than Young Link, who is already so light to begin with and hurts itself through attacks. I wouldnt be surprised if a well timed F-smash from the right characters could kill Pichu as low as 50% from the ledge. I get nervous at around 85% with Young Link and that's bad enough as is. I could never play Pichu knowing I can die from a big hit even earlier than that.

As far as Adult and Young Link go, I personally think Young Link is superior BUT so far, Link has had the better tournament results overall.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I honestly have felt no shame in just really maintaining a distance until I get my enemies closer to 125, 140% - then I go in with forward airs if I can land a projectile to follow up and KO, or I just do short hops to down air to "pogo" them out. I notice it's when I get greedy and try to do closer melee battles that people punish me and KO me faster with Yink.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
You know I feel like all characters are a bit on equal grounds as far as speed. By that I mean end lag or startup lag. Makes me wonder how viable speed is if everyone is quick but some have power, and some have reach. Like is YL really all that fast? Should he be quicker to balance out of his lack of power and reach? Makes me wonder if link is actually the better fighter. Im not sure.

And Kazrisk i agree with you actually, thats a good point. They say YL can fight, but I feel he's the same as TL, in that he gets punished upclose. Seems like he's good as playing keep away instead and sneaking in attacks rather than being aggressive.

Top Bottom