• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A better GCN controller? Hori Battle Pad for Wii U - Review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I've ordered the Luigi version of the controller. I'll post my thoughts when I get it.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
If these can be used for VC and other Wii U titles then yes these are better....Makes me wonder if I should call off my pre order for the Smash GC controller??? Any thoughts?

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Playing every Wii and Wii U game compatible with the Classic Controller WITH a GCN controller........
Nintendo actually confirmed that the GCN controller works “with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller.” so the official adapter pretty much turns it into a wired Wii U Pro Controller, without a few things, no need for a third party controller.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Why are the shoulder buttons on this thing backwards? Classic Controllers got the the L and R buttons closer to the player, with ZL and ZR further back. This thing is the exact opposite, and the only reason I can think of is rather dumb considering this can't be used as an actual Gamecube controller, and Smash has customizable controls anyway.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Why are the shoulder buttons on this thing backwards? Classic Controllers got the the L and R buttons closer to the player, with ZL and ZR further back. This thing is the exact opposite
This is because of the Z button of the GameCube controller.....

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Why are the shoulder buttons on this thing backwards? Classic Controllers got the the L and R buttons closer to the player, with ZL and ZR further back. This thing is the exact opposite, and the only reason I can think of is rather dumb considering this can't be used as an actual Gamecube controller, and Smash has customizable controls anyway.
Most Classic Controller Wii games don't use ZL and ZR as they were tiny afterthought buttons on the original Classic Controller. Moving the main R and L to the GameCube trigger location makes sense in that context as they'd be used more.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Nintendo actually confirmed that the GCN controller works “with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller.” so the official adapter pretty much turns it into a wired Wii U Pro Controller, without a few things, no need for a third party controller.
Sorry to say this but...
Nintendo said:
"The GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U is compatible with Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U specifically - it is not compatible with any other Wii U software. The adapter is also not compatible with Wii and we apologise for any confusion."
Here's the proof I didn't made that up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tor-compatible-with-more-than-just-smash-bros

wingo

Smash Apprentice
Why so? There are people out there who prefer different controllers. I'd love to be able to use a 360 controller to play Smash, since it's my overall favorite controller and I've played enough emulated Smash 64 with one to know I like it for Smash.
I want to play smash on kinect!

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Oh, you're right. That's what I get for quickly scrolling through the thread and not reading your whole response.

Erionn

Smash Cadet
I can't really see the point of using this for Smash, considering it's wireless. Using it as a classic controller for other games might be nice, but I'd rather use a wired controller for playing Smash.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I can't really see the point of using this for Smash, considering it's wireless. Using it as a classic controller for other games might be nice, but I'd rather use a wired controller for playing Smash.
Well, it does have a wire.....but I understand your point.

But, the ability to play more than one game makes it worth it, so not buying it for the lack of wire is, IMO, not good enough, but I still respect your decision.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Four of these and four real GameCube controllers and you have a great 8 player smash night.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Four of these and four real GameCube controllers and you have a great 8 player smash night.
You can use two GameCube Controller adapters for eight GameCube controllers on the same Wii U, though. It's confirmed on the Smash Bros. site where they talk about 8 Player Smash.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
You can use two GameCube Controller adapters for eight GameCube controllers on the same Wii U, though. It's confirmed on the Smash Bros. site where they talk about 8 Player Smash.
Fantastic, looks like this controller won't be needed after all. At least it and it's superior shoulder buttons are an option. :)

mrrwalden

Smash Rookie
I remember saying a while back that I would pick up a couple of "GameCube Classic Controllers" from PDP, but I didn't know those were made by the same people that made the GameStop GameCube controllers. With those, I've had a little bit of trouble with buttons being unresponsive, so the Hori option seems more sensible given their track record, especially since they're the same price.
The D-Pad also looks to be a bit larger, so that could come in handy for VC games.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I remember saying a while back that I would pick up a couple of "GameCube Classic Controllers" from PDP, but I didn't know those were made by the same people that made the GameStop GameCube controllers. With those, I've had a little bit of trouble with buttons being unresponsive, so the Hori option seems more sensible given their track record, especially since they're the same price.
The D-Pad also looks to be a bit larger, so that could come in handy for VC games.
I agree with you on this one. That being said, PDP also makes the excellent Rock Candy and Afterglow lines, both of which I haven't had any issues with. When it comes to the GameStop controllers, I think part quality is a factor. Considering that the PDP Wired Fight Pads are officially licensed and carry Nintendo branding, I don't think they're going to be built with low quality parts. I honestly think they'll perform the same as the Hori ones.

Edit-adding some of this to the first post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I think a lot of you may be forgetting (or didn't know?) that any kind of controller with a turbo or auto-fire feature is universally-and-without-question, banned almost unanimously across all competitive fighting game tournaments of any major note.

They look neat I guess for casual play if you absolutely want a wii mote hanging between your legs and god forbid you move from 3DS controls to the Wii U Pro without too much issue, but I wouldn't get comfy practicing with these or plan on using them competitively. Have them for when you got friends over, sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrrwalden

Smash Rookie
I think a lot of you may be forgetting (or didn't know?) that any kind of controller with a turbo or auto-fire feature is universally-and-without-question, banned almost unanimously across all competitive fighting game tournaments of any major note.
True. I guess what makes this particularly enticing for me is the possibility for its use outside of the context of Smash Bros. Unlike the Wii U Pro Controller, it would work in Wii Mode, and unlike the GameCube controller adapter, it's not exclusive to Smash Wii U. I still plan to get the adapter since I have a couple of GameCube controllers and because of what you mentioned, but otherwise I'm not seeing many drawbacks?

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
so these connect to the wiimote?

THANK YOU JESUS FOR MAKING MY LIFE EASIER WITHOUT A GAMECUBE ADAPTER

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

They look neat I guess for casual play if you absolutely want a wii mote hanging between your legs and god forbid you move from 3DS controls to the Wii U Pro without too much issue, but I wouldn't get comfy practicing with these or plan on using them competitively. Have them for when you got friends over, sure.
What about peolpe who don't want to play "competitive"

Last edited:

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Nevermind, this doesn;t work on Wii U Pro controller games and has to be connected to a wii mote in order to work.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Lol why can't you guys handle blunt opinions with a pinch of sarcasm?

Hmm I wonder if they'll have a Bowser themed controller?
Why can't you learn other people have feelings? And it's not nice to hurt those feelings.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Nevermind, this doesn;t work on Wii U Pro controller games and has to be connected to a wii mote in order to work.
A.Both the Wii U Pro Controller amd Classic Controller got the same button layout, the only difference is that you need to connect the CC in a Wiimote
B.All Wii U games compatible with the WUPC are also compatible with the CC, so they technically do work on games compatible with WUPC, and all Wii games compatible with the CC.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Why can't you learn other people have feelings? And it's not nice to hurt those feelings.
.... You again
IT's THE INTERNET!
I can't help it that I'm blunt n I refuse to sugar coat my opinion.
Really not that big of a deal..

Back on subject.
The back buttons on the Hori pads are amazing

ThaPhantom07

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaPhantom07
These actually look pretty solid. I just want to know if they hold up over years of use and how bad the wireless lag is. If those two things are reasonable I would get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom