• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A 12 year old smasher needs help/tips!

CowLatin

Smash Rookie
I've been playing competitively for about a year or so. What are some good tips that I should take now that could help me while I'm still young? I plan to keep on playing for a while. I haven't gone to any tournaments. I play Marth, Fox, and Sheik, and don't really know which to pick.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Pick whoever you want to play the most. Whoever you have the most fun with is going to be the best choice, and you'll be more likely to enjoy yourself much more. Try attending some tournaments if you can, it's easily the best and most effective way to learn. Don't worry about being "too young", the Smash community is very accepting of people of all ages! I'm one of the younger members of my community myself, though I'm 17 which is much older than 12. You'll learn very quickly given your age though, so it shouldn't take too long for you to get good at the game. As for character specific tips, check the character boards for each character, join the discussions, or just read up on some info. Smashboards is a great place to learn, so look around, you'll find something.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I agree with @$$ JMoney $$ but also, I'll add to it a little bit: don't train against CPUs if you can avoid it and if you can't, train against either level 1-3 or 7. Those CPUs don't have random DI, but it's better to train against than the level 9 perfect survival DI, even though a real person would have instead used combo DI in certain situations. Also, you don't get as much crazy frame-perfect stuff working against you whenever going against a level 7 as you would a level 9 (which is a good thing because a human couldn't get that frame-perfect stuff since there is a delay with reaction time).

AirFair

Marth tho
If you are going to get any better, you need to find people to play against, because if you train against CPU's, you will get bad habits for sure. Play who you have the most fun with and follow what @ Spak Spak said on CPUs. Just practice tech if you can't do anything else.

RedRengadeYo

Smash Rookie
I feel as if I could use J$'s tips to my advantage but where I am in the Canada, Ontario area and the fact that I have no travel money, it's hard for me to get REALLY into the competitive smash community even though I am good at the game. Being 12 years old and having little privileges to go out to tourneys but having this skill at smash at my disposal, I'm really sad that I can't get known that well other than by my friends.

AirFair

Marth tho
I feel as if I could use J$'s tips to my advantage but where I am in the Canada, Ontario area and the fact that I have no travel money, it's hard for me to get REALLY into the competitive smash community even though I am good at the game. Being 12 years old and having little privileges to go out to tourneys but having this skill at smash at my disposal, I'm really sad that I can't get known that well other than by my friends.
Your profile says you are 24 lmao, and also you can't say that you are good until you do well at a tournament lol.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Your profile says you are 24 lmao, and also you can't say that you are good until you do well at a tournament lol.
Never know mate, he could be good, he could be bad. No reason to crush peoples dreams x] if thinking you're good (whether you are or aren't) helps your drive to play smash I see no reason to rain on that parade.

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
The first step to getting good is grinding out your movement/tech skill until it's absolutely flawless. Then it's all about going to tournaments and getting experience. You can check to see if your state has a Melee Facebook group and join it if you want to stay updated with events in your area.

At 12, you're going to have to be open with your parents about wanting to go to tournaments and play this game seriously. Show them the documentary. Take them with you! Nothing makes me smile more than seeing parents at tournaments supporting their family.

Best of luck!

goobaje

Smash Cadet
You definitely need to practice against people. There is a huge different between practicing combos on a bot and playing an actual person. The bots (higher levels) can read inputs and thats no good for actually practicing. You need to practice against some real flesh and blood.

If you have friends or something get them into it! If you really think you are good play tournaments. I'm sure you can find some in your area, and if not, maybe host them yourself? I know you're young but find a game shop or something to hold one.

Overall, playing against bots is not the way to go, but it helps when you're just a smash baby (new to the game)

RedRengadeYo

Smash Rookie
I know it says it's I'm 24 but that's only because when I put my birth year as 2002 it said I was too young so I just used my older brother's birth year which is 1990.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I know it says it's I'm 24 but that's only because when I put my birth year as 2002 it said I was too young so I just used my older brother's birth year which is 1990.
That's weird. Is there a PG-13 rating on Smashboards?

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Pick whoever you want to play the most. Whoever you have the most fun with is going to be the best choice, and you'll be more likely to enjoy yourself much more. Try attending some tournaments if you can, it's easily the best and most effective way to learn. Don't worry about being "too young", the Smash community is very accepting of people of all ages! I'm one of the younger members of my community myself, though I'm 17 which is much older than 12. You'll learn very quickly given your age though, so it shouldn't take too long for you to get good at the game. As for character specific tips, check the character boards for each character, join the discussions, or just read up on some info. Smashboards is a great place to learn, so look around, you'll find something.
It's great to know that people accept all the smashers :)
all long as they're not selfish brats playing M rated games:p

Last edited:
Top Bottom