• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

_{Deleted}

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Code:
are you having fun playing this game
 |                   |
yes                 no
 |                   |
 |               stop playing, doofus
 |
do you have the time to continue playing,
without hurting other responsibilities in life
  |                         |
  yes                       no
  |                         |
keep playing, doofus       stop playing, doofus

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I always lose badly at local tournaments and I have seen very little improvement. I was starting to get better at Olimar ( I like his playstyle) then my brothers friend beat me with him in dittos and he barely touches that character. I usually get to a point where i just rage quit and complain about certain moves. The thing is i really think this game is fun which is what keeps drawing me back in. Do you think i should just quit?
I see value in continuing. If you let the game improve you as a person and you keep learning, then don't stop. When I say learning, I don't just mean learning about the game. Take lessons you learn from the game and apply them to real life. You expressed that you know you rage quit and complain. Make a lesson out of that. You may have thoughts such as:

"I don't want to feel angry."
So practice keeping calm. Let the game help you shape your mind. If you have a tendency to get angry in life outside the game, let the game teach you patience and discipline.

"I complain about certain moves all the time."
Watch how other players deal with that move. Observe how each character has to deal with said move differently, based on their strengths and weaknesses. Let this be a lesson in trying to understand people in real life. We all have different strengths and weaknesses in real life, but the process of solving the puzzle of how to co-exist with oneself as well as with others is also exhibited right there in the game.

"I think this game is fun, it keeps drawing me back in."
This is natural. Breaks are healthy. Distance grants perspective. Every time I come back from a break, I find myself playing differently. I find that I've lost some habits naturally due to just not playing for a bit. I use that empty space to develop new habits. Each time I get that perspective from the distance and return, I see the game with ever-so-slightly fresher eyes.
I started playing Melee competitively back in 2005 and I've always kinda been around the scene, but I'll go like a month without playing and come back. Sometimes a week. Sometimes someone hits me up and I just play for fun, don't really focus on improvement, because Smash is a comfort for me. This game and this community has always felt like home, no matter where I've moved to. It's given me a network where I can travel anywhere in the country and find something that feels like home and I know exactly where to look.

Whether it's for you or not is ultimately just a question you must answer for yourself. With light comes shadow. Anything you do will have its advantages and disadvantages in life, naturally. The question is: do you accept the shadow of Smash in your life? Will you let it shape your light?
Haha, I'm rambling a little but I'm still on topic. Hopefully I've been able to help you find your answer.
Cheers!

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
How often do you play? I ask because when I played daily after a while I felt like I hit "the wall". I just started playing super poorly and wasn't having any fun. This is the point(I believe) where you should take a fairly long break. If you constantly think about the game and want to play after the break then do so, and from experience everything just falls into play, like I did noticeably better. If you don't then maybe either you can call it quits if you still don't have fun at all or just switch something up. Play with different people or play a different character.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
Don't try to judge if you should stop playing by looking at how often or how badly you get beaten. Play the game to play the game and adopt a Naruto mentality in favor of a Sasuke one. Just because people are naturally gifted (sasuke) and you have to work really hard to even take a stock off them (naruto) doesn't mean you should quit. If you have fun or you want to win then continue to play and push yourself farther than anyone around you until you can't be touched. Everything can be achieved through hard work.

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
If you can't take the losses and keep going maybe teach some new people and/or play free for all with items.

Maybe you would enjoy casual more

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
you can make all the dumb edgelord comments you want, it's not going to change the fact that playing video games is not a career

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Break it up. Repeating a statement repeatedly is not an acceptable response, it is trolling.

To the OP: You should quit when you don't have fun anymore. If competing isn't fun, try just hanging out at tourneys and playing casuals. There are a lot of ways to have fun in the community. You don't have to be a great player to do so either.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
do you kids even know what the word trolling means anymore

Bleck

Smash Master
playtesting is not the same as playing, which is what anyone who has ever actually playtested a game will tell you

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
playtesting is not the same as playing, which is what anyone who has ever actually playtested a game will tell you
it still involves playing a videogame. As well at let's players with a large amount of subscribers. I just find it odd that it's not considered a career oportunity yet. When will it be considered one to you? When starcraft players earn a certain amount? What's your criteria? Of which you've made no specific definition.

Bleck

Smash Master
when it fits the criteria that all other careers fit

if you are not sure what these criteria are I invite you to discover the magic of google

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
Not unless you want to, don't let tournament wins determine your value.

when it fits the criteria that all other careers fit

if you are not sure what these criteria are I invite you to discover the magic of google
So.. you gonna say something related to the thread or keep spamming?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Are we spending this much time debating whether something is a career or not? Call it whatever you want, some people can earn decent money while the rest of us drown in pools. Who cares and move on

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The OP doesn't even put forth the notion of smash as a career. It doesn't mention money at all. Bleck's posts are not only trolling but thread derailment/spam. Please do not entertain him further, report posts that break the rules and carry on with discussion as usual.

Bleck

Smash Master
if he's not talking in the context of making money, then his question is "should I stop doing a thing if I don't enjoy it," in which case I'm not sure why that question needed to be asked

Top Bottom