• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

999% random damage

Celestis

Smash Ace
I really wish I had a better idea of what happened here, but I set 4 CPU to fight on Hyrule castle cause bored, and less then 30 seconds in, Snake was Suddenly at 999%. I managed to save the replay and it works without de-sync, amazingly, and the replay recreates it every time. I wish I could record or show the replay. I lack any of that stuff.

Has this happened to anyone before? I remember this happened back on 2.1 I think it was with Luigi getting hit by someone's standard "A" combo and I died at 999% not even seconds into the match.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Lol that actually sounds like a very interesting glitch. I'll see if I can try to re-create the bug and try to figure out what causes this, mostly because my interest is peaked. Other than Snake, what other characters were used? What levels were the CPU's at?

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
If you have a smartphone, film it on your phone and upload it YouTube through the YouTube Capture app.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
I know that this can happen if someone gets grabbed by a tether, and the tether reel-in is interrupted before the actual grab happens. Was that it?

Celestis

Smash Ace
Sorry for the lack of reply, completely forgot I posted this.

I have no idea why now, but the replay stopped replicating the glitch.

But the part where the 999% did happen originally is the a tether grab interrupt like Kally Wally said. The characters were Puff, Ness, Lucas, Snake.

You can see that after snake lives the hit right after Lucas grabs him, he starts fighting out of sync cause he was supposed to die.

Now can someone link me a safe place to upload this kind of file? Maybe you all can get it to replicate.

Last edited:

$heen

Smash Ace
Sorry for the lack of reply, completely forgot I posted this.

I have no idea why now, but the replay stopped replicating the glitch.

But the part where the 999% did happen originally is the a tether grab interrupt like Kally Wally said. The characters were Puff, Ness, Lucas, Snake.

You can see that after snake lives the hit right after Lucas grabs him, he starts fighting out of sync cause he was supposed to die.

Now can someone link me a safe place to upload this kind of file? Maybe you all can get it to replicate.
When the replay was showing the glitch, was that only during the same session you recorded it in? In other words, after it happened, have you ever turned the console off, then on, and had the glitch trigger in the replay?

Celestis

Smash Ace
Yeah, during the same session. I never tried to look at it again until now, and stopped working.

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Lucas, you say? He's definitely come up in past posts about this glitch I've seen on the Project M subreddit. I think it had something to do with his tether?

$heen

Smash Ace
Do you remember anything about what you did before that match? It's possible that some characters might have a move that writes to a certain part of the memory that contains mechanics data and will last as long as the console is on.

We have tried to figure out why this happens for a long time and I'm starting to think it must be triggered by something else first.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Its really hard to say. Before that, M friends and I were just playing the game like usual, then moved on to putting those CPU battles while we did other things. That one was the 2nd or third one I think.

But since you think that, maybe since I have a working replay that originally had the event take place, maybe if we play matches with some characters, then play the replay, eventually it will happen again? Might take a while, but.. All I could think of to try and locate it.

$heen

Smash Ace
I think that would be the best way to try to isolate it. However, there is another glitch that happens, at least on my wii. The first time I watched the replay after turning it on, it plays normally, but if I watch it again, Snake gets hit by Lucas's usmash after Ness grabs the timer and the replay desynchs from there.

Regardless, I'm also going to also try that and see if we can deduce anything.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I game this a shot and turned up nothing. The replay just keeps going like normal. So far it only seems to happen when the grab is interrupted, so at least it wont happen during a tournament match. I think..

Top Bottom