• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

916 / Sacramento Smash: DP will never post here

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Delphiki, are you available this weekend, or just the weekdays?

EDIT: Actually, I should be able to make Friday. I just need the address.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
okay, you mean right this second?

Maybe you should just meet me at delphiki's and durgans on friday, assuming they'll let us.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
also you can come over to my grandmas house in arden-arcade. this applies to everyone. pm me if you want to come.

DRGN

Technowizard
Full tank of gas and I want to go play somewhere!
Want to play tomorrow (Tuesday afternoon) around 6:30? That's going to be my best bet to play this week.

Sorry all, but Delphiki and I are leaving for the weekend this Thursday, so we won't be able to do Thursday Smash or get together on Friday. But probably next week will be ok. Also, if you want you can come tonight (Tuesday. yes, I'm referencing the day differently than I just did a moment ago, because it just struck midnight. :p) then that should be okay as long as we can fit everyone in one room, lol. ...And two rooms once Delphiki gets here. :p

DRGN

Technowizard
I'm still in the process of rendering them. The reason it's going slowly is because I've only had a few hours so far to look at them, and I'm doing it on a new system, trying out new codecs and whatnot. (the guy who did the video recording for TAG before, BlindestMan, moved to North Dakota, so I'm taking over)

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Hmmm... I wouldn't mind volunteering my recording setup for the next TAG singles/finals and whatnot. If that's okay, of course.

DRGN

Technowizard
Melee vids are going up on TAG's Channel now, and should continue to over the next couple of hours.

Unfortunately, as some of you already know, there was a recording problem during grand finals. Luckily, I was able to recover some of it! Though the later half of the second set, sadly, did not make it. Which is a real shame because it was pretty impressive (Catnip went Super Saiyabird or something).

Sure, Ookami, if you would like, that would be useful for when we have multiple Finals matches (grand, winner's, or loser's finals) going on at once. This last time we held Melee while recording the other events finishing up.

MOON! What happened yesterday? You cry wolf almost as much as NK! lol not really though

DRGN

Technowizard
FF Tactics? You play dat? Oh ****e. I play dat!

Perhaps sometime we should play it at the same time, in the same place, you know, like, against each other? (or that ridiculous co-op! Lolol)

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Fun times fo sho.

Jimmmmmmmm!

Edit: DRGN I have the one for the DS. You can do Co-op on it??? Also I'm super bad at it lol.

Double edit: I'll watch those vids when you get em up Wolfy and I'll comment the bejeezus out of 'em.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Whatever weekend works for people is cool. I'm free this weekend and next weekend, so yeah. All day smash as always.
Also, I'll try to get space inside this time, lol.

EDIT: Awesome. Thanks, Moon. :D

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
i don't know if you noticed jesse but i started wavedashing into downsmash at the end of last night, i dunno if it got recorded though. also i ducked under one of your grabs. its hard to move around with peach though, i might try ducking more and dashing around

also i still have your gloves

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Been analyzing those videos and I've been making mental notes of what I need to improve on. Getting destroyed by Moon and watching it over and over is really helpful. :D

EDIT: Also, everyone should come over during winter break because cookies. :awesome:

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
I saw that post before the edit. I know your game.

ALSO you should try doing other aerials off the edge besides DAIR

good aerials for captian falcon to do off the edge include:

UAIR
FAIR
BAIR
reverse BAIR
NAIR (sometimes)

FAIR and UAIR are probably the best, the fair because it has soooo much stun (even if you don't sweetspot it!) and the uair because it has a really good trajectory and good range.

umm

don't be afraid to jump off the ledge, even though CF is a fastfaller he has still got a really good off the ledge game. He can do an easy 2 aerials before coming back. he can also jump really far and has good air mobility. Just make sure you don't get BAIR GIMPED.

I know you have seen all of the SCAR VIDEOS so this is probably old news. Just stop being afraid of running off the ledge.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Yeah, sorry about the edit, I thought it would be more appropriate for the Falcon critique thread.

I really should be more confident about running offstage and taking that risk. And I'm way too stomp happy, lol. I'll work on it. Thanks, Jim. :)

Also, FAIR WoP w/ Falcon is awesome.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Jim stop doing things with peach LOL. What a dumb character. Also my Mario is going to bring down some hardcore revenge.

Also WOOOOOLFFFFFYYYY I have so much I want to tell you buuuuut if I wrote it all down it would be unorganized and confusing. SRS question that I want you to respond in full detail: What do you think about while playing?

Wolfy!

Indecisive
What do I think about while playing? Uh... Mostly "don't screw up" and "make sure you hit this". Other than that, I'm not really sure.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
i was worrying about getting my techskill off a lot last night, except near the end i started thinking like "what move is he gonna approach with" and "how can I counter it, or avoid it." Most of my approaches were still based on instinct, every once in a while i realize i have to shake it up though. (Moony knows how dumb my approaches are, dash attack, dash attack, etc)

Fortunately, I got more comfortable with my techskill as the night went on. Also, peach is the kind of character that capitalizes on other people's mistakes, so you start looking at your opponent naturally.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I hope this is your critique.
LOL it is for now...

So WOLFY. You have mad tech skill. This is good. I think you utilize it mad inefficiently. This is bad. I also think you get nervous when you're in the "attack zone". That will fix itself in time, HOWEVER I think you should really really really really focus on MAINTAINING CONTROL of your character. Many times I see overspaced jumps or mis-timed attacks, which leads me into my next tip: SLOW DOWN. Lol I think you play tooo fast (which doesn't help control issues). I noticed one time you stomped jim. Stomp has ridiculous stun. But you immediately full hopped knee'd and MISSED (noooo). You could have waited and just did an easy short hop knee. So don't panic when you hit confirm. ****** comps fixed that issue for me.

I have more stuff to write but I don't want to lay too much on you at once.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Alrighty. Will do. Thanks, man.

EDIT: Does anyone wanna come over tomorrow (Saturday)? Otherwise, I'll probably just hold the smashfest next weekend or the weekend after that.
Double edit: Unfortunately, plans popped up for the first half of my Saturday, but I should be back at about 3 or 4, if anyone is still interested.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Advice round 2 (Wolfy)

A lot of the things I'm talking about come together really well. Control of your character makes it so you don't flub. When you don't flub I (the opponent) become intimidated. Being intimidated makes it more likely for me to mistakes. Basically I think smash is about punishing the mistakes of another player. It's a decision making game really. ANYWAY. OBSERVE THIS CLIP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvIcb5WeG4#t=2m47s

You nair'd me, put me above you, flubbed the punish (I dair'd), then you had the advantage again (you spaced a bair on my shield) but then you made a horrible mistake. You reset the situation. I am at 129%. I am cornered at the ledge. I am one scared mario. After that bair you could have easily waited at my trembling feet and waited (Ah, playing slow serves you well now, doesn't it? haha) for me to make a move, then punished my beautiful mustached face. I did a full hop fireball, probably because I knew you would run away. I adapt to that sort of stuff and it makes me play oh so much more confident against you. Perfect segway into this important thing:

RECOGNIZING THE SITUATION. This is easiest to do with grabs (you should grab more btw). Grabs are amazing. Other player is totally under your control. So you get a grab. Look at the percent. Determine the best throw. Perform the throw. NOW you have to follow up. How though? Which way did the opponent DI? What is the opponent expecting the follow up to be? How will the opponent try and counter it? Did the opponent mess up? Roughly what should be going through your head. In that earlier situation let's look. You nair'd me and I DI'd mad high. You tried to full hop knee (will never work btw, recognize the hitstun son!) and I jumped. I probably jumped because I expected you to do something. What if you just empty jumped? Then I would have wasted my double jump at high percent and you are still below me waiting to punish. Also mario sucks from above and Falcon is amazing from below. Skip to bair on shield part. Recognize that mario has no oos options except for nair, which has no range. Waiting would have been amazing in that situation because I would've gotten scared and done something like jump, to which falcon would demolish me with a bair. SO. Waiting not only helps you recognize the situation but is an excellent baiting tool.

Might write more. Also DRGN do you agree or disagree with any of this?

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
so, I might just do a write-up for myself, because i noticed a lot of stuff that I need to fix. I hope that's okay.

:emptysheep:

Top Bottom