• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

90% of my online matches

psientist

Smash Rookie
the match starts, and everyone except me stands right where they are, not attacking.

I start attacking someone, then after that, half the time it ends up being all 3 players vs me. while other times it will just be me vs the 1 person I attacked while the other two players simply watch... with sometimes the watchers occasionally taking pot shots at me as well.

and yet, this routine is not unfamiliar to me. I had seen the same exact phenomenon play out as time went on in Brawl online which is why I eventually quit playing Brawl despite loving that game.

I am back playing Smash 4 after not touching it for a couple years and I just want to play matches where everyone actually trys to win instead of this dumb boring crap.

so wtf is going on? Why is this crap happening on such a massive scale? Are these people that do this organized somewhere, or does it just happen organically?

D

Deleted member

This is what most of what you can expect on For Fun and For Glory free-for-alls. You could report and block them all but what's the point when their punishment is not particularly serious? Not to mention you'll still come across someone else with that same behavior. You can find opponents here who aim to play seriously and won't do much to annoy you (at least not on purpose anyways).

Right...you're better off avoiding those modes. Sadly, this sort of thing happens in online play often, and it's here to stay. Just one of those things not even master Sakurai himself has control over.

MiniSara

Smash Rookie
I always keep to team battle and 1 on 1. Free for all is bad anyway since everything is about getting that last hit to score the KO.

psientist

Smash Rookie
I get what you guys are saying, but to avoid free-for-all means I might as well just not play the game because that's the mode I grew up loving to play. it's a sort of tactical chaos that I just enjoy so much when it's played legit.

I made this thread because i'm simply confused as to how people can even know to team up with each other in a game with no communication. I don't know if people are all grouped up on discords and keep joining matches till they find each other, or what. But now i'm beginning to realize after playing the game again for a few week that this teaming in a free-for-all nonsense happens so much because noobs will simply do anything to gain an advantage. If there is a way to cheat and get away with it, they will do it, and that's all this essentially is... cheating.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
People did this in Brawl, too, as you stated. A lot of people are just used to it and find easy enough ways to communicate with the basic of idea of "goofing around" and teaming up against players who actually want to fight. Often trying to convey any other kind of information to clear things up doesn't seem entirely necessary. I find it doubtful that there are many organized online groups planning to get together for these sorts of things. There's just a lot of people who like doing this.

These kind of events are called "Taunt Parties". Basically, these people would rather be friendly with each other rather than fight, goof around , taunt, mess around with possible glitches, and really just avoid fighting altogether. It was much worse in Brawl based on my own experiences, most likely because while it's still not entirely controlled by the game's devs in 4, 4 did at least receive some changes that can punish players for doing this kind of stuff, including bullying a particular player or ganging up on him/her. But, I can speak from my own experiences that they do still exist in this game, I don't doubt your claims at all.

I suppose you're just getting really unlucky if this is happening to you a lot in For Glory free for alls, because I rarely seem them in that mode and mostly seem them in For Fun, so I usually just avoid that mode. If people are acting unusual and/or not attacking you at the start of match, I'd recommend simply doing the same and going along with it for one match and then leave in hopes of finding a better one. It usually works for me, but if you keep running into several more taunt parties in that one sitting, just take a break and try again later. There's no getting rid of them, but plenty of people still want to play the game normally and it's totally possible to find them. Just do everything you can to escape from the matches of people that don't want to fight, and avoid For Fun if you can. Because sadly, I think For Fun free for alls are affected the most by these right now. Finally, you can always try 1 on 1 in FG every now and then as well.

Top Bottom