• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8 ports Gamecube adapter

Should the Gamecube adapter have included 8 ports instead of 4?

• Yes. It should've given how silly it is to purchase 2 adapters just for one game

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No, but it should've came in at least two colours for variety.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I guess so, but it seems like a lot of work.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Given that this game (or Smash Bros as a whole) will likely be the only one to support 8 Gamecube controllers at once

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
There is a fundamental problem with the voltage a single USB port can handle. For four controllers, you already need two USP jacks. And 8 would require four. Having to plug four different usb sticks into two different ends of the console is more hassle than buying two individual four-pairs.

Your poll is also incredibly biased.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
There is a fundamental problem with the voltage a single USB port can handle. For four controllers, you already need two USP jacks. And 8 would require four. Having to plug four different usb sticks into two different ends of the console is more hassle than buying two individual four-pairs.
Did you know? Only one USB adapter is required for the adapter to function. The second one is for rumble.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I did. However, you cannot simply "not attach" the rumble supply (which is 5V by itself, it requires a whole USB) As that would break the circuits. You would need to modify the controllers, which would make the old game cube controllers incompatible, which would ruin the point of even having a game cube adapter in the first place

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Yes, I did. However, you cannot simply "not attach" the rumble supply (which is 5V by itself, it requires a whole USB) As that would break the circuits. You would need to modify the controllers, which would make the old game cube controllers incompatible, which would ruin the point of even having a game cube adapter in the first place
How would it break the circuits?

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
It wouldn't complete the circuit. Rumble would not have the power it needs. Rumble cannot run on the same USB as the rest of the controller.

If you don't want rumble, then I suppose that an 8-player version could work, but not all the time, for all customers. From a company perspective, making a product that works for everybody is more important.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
It wouldn't complete the circuit. Rumble would not have the power it needs. Rumble cannot run on the same USB as the rest of the controller.

If you don't want rumble, then I suppose that an 8-player version could work, but not all the time, for all customers. From a company perspective, making a product that works for everybody is more important.
I thought you could just choose to not plug in the gray port without damage.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
I know you can, but the rumble would not work. That is what I am trying to say. You cannot run the controller and the rumble on one USB. And from a company perspective, having the rumble not work is a poor choice.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I know you can, but the rumble would not work. That is what I am trying to say. You cannot run the controller and the rumble on one USB. And from a company perspective, having the rumble not work is a poor choice.
Didn't you say the circuits would also break?

Do you think Nintendo would care if you only chose to plug in the black port?

As for my poll being biased, who would say no to an 8 controller adapter and yes to a 4 controller one if they were the same price and had rumble as an option?

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
That was poor wordking on my part. The Rumble would simply not work.

Also, what makes you think an 8-port adapter would be the same price as a 4-port adapter?

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
That was poor wordking on my part. The Rumble would simply not work.

Also, what makes you think an 8-port adapter would be the same price as a 4-port adapter?
I don't think it would be the same price. But let's say for some reason they were. Who would buy a 4 controller adapter over one that has 8 instead?

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
Nobody, but there is absolutely no reason why they would be the same price. They would likely be around twice the price (keep in mind the larger packaging/shipping costs) So the question becomes, would you rather buy two 4-controller adapters, or one 8-controller adapter. I think the answer is pretty obvious. Having two adapters gives more flexibility. (at the cost of it being easier to lose one.)

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Nobody, but there is absolutely no reason why they would be the same price. They would likely be around twice the price (keep in mind the larger packaging/shipping costs) So the question becomes, would you rather buy two 4-controller adapters, or one 8-controller adapter. I think the answer is pretty obvious. Having two adapters gives more flexibility. (at the cost of it being easier to lose one.)
Well this has happened before.

When Nintendo released the family edition Wii, they kept it the same price as the Wii with Gamecube ports even though it should logically cost less due to the lack of Gamecube ports.

I even read that they made the family edition Wii more expensive than the first Wii. Even though that's dumb.

I really doubt they would make an 8 controller adapter the same price as a 4 controller adapter, but knowing Nintendo they could do that since they did so with the second Wii model.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
You are talking about Nintendo politics, which none of us know anything about. Let's talk about what we know.

A hypothetical 8-port adapter would cost slightly less than (my guess) twice as much to produce, and ignoring Nintendo Politics, it would cost slightly less than twice as much to consumers. It would have four wires that would have to be plugged into two different sides of the console, and it could possibly have problems of all 8 controllers being able to reach it at the same time. (8 people take up a lot of space).

Two 4-port adapters would be slightly more expensive, but you have the option of splitting them up, so the GameCube cables can fit without a problem. You have the option of spending half as much if you know you will only play with >4 people. (keep in mind, 4 people has been the norm for every previous title.)

tricksta616

Smash Rookie
honestly, nintendo only really made the adapters to support competitive play. it only works on the smash 4, it was released just in time to outsell mayflash after they came out with one, and it has just enough ports for a doubles match. they saw the demand as one from a competitive perspective, because generally casuals would use their ds's, gamepads and wiimotes to pad the 8 player limit. I don't even know any casuals who still have gamecube controllers to be honest...

Top Bottom