• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8 player smash advice

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
I entered into an 8-player smash tournament recently. (Yes it exists.) I have been wondering if tier lists really are relevant when it comes to 8 player. I am looking for which character I should use. Here are the rules:

8 plr free-for-all
Omega Onett
No items
3 stocks
No mii fighters

So, these have been the characters I have been considering. Let me know which one you think I should use.

:4metaknight:
Pro: amazing recovery, kill moves, combos, won game 1 with him, most familiar
Con: does not have great survivability, lack of projectile
:4pikachu:
Pro: amazing recovery, projectile, combos, top tier, have decent familiarity
Con: dies even earlier than MK, may be difficult to get kills
:4dedede:
Pro: good recovery, kill moves, excellent survivability, decent familiarity, decent combos
Con: laggy moves, lackluster projectile, combo food
:4ganondorf:
Pro: known for 4 player smash, great survivability, kill moves
Con: lack of combo, crap recovery, lack of projectile, laggy moves

Last edited:

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
It's really hard to play a heavy character like Ganondorf in 8-player because he's combo food (from my experience). I've had a lot of success with characters with a counter (namely Corrin) because more often than not, someone is going to be in range of your counter.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
I think 8 player would actually change the tier list drastically. You could literally just run away and let everyone else kill each other, but they'll probably go after you in that case. I would either spam projectiles or one time I won 2 8 player smashes in a row by just ledge grabbing the whole time as Mario. If someone approached, I would just fall off and to an up special back to the ledge, which almost always hit them.

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
I would say tier lists still stay fairly relevant but I think the best characters would be one with good mobility and large hit boxes

Pyrover

Smash Cadet
In 8 player the biggest things you need are mobility and survivability.

Of the four you listed I would say Pikachu is the best choice, because he's very capable of weaving in and out of skirmishes without getting hit, and has a fantastic recovery. Furthermore, he has an excellent neutral, which is important when you can't rely on setups and combos going properly.

Metaknight could also work, but his neutral is iffy, so you might have to play a heavy offstage game with him.

The key will be staying alive. Prioritize that over landing hits, and don't be afraid to runaway if nobody is focusing on you.

Top Bottom