• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~70% TRUE(?) Mario "Penguin Combo"

RoguePenguin

Smash Rookie
NEEDS MORE TESTING
Hey, so I'm a Mario main in Gainesville, FL. I usually attend the MVG Weeklies.
I've potentially discovered an insane ~70 percent true combo.
This combo does NOT work on all characters. It is true, if timed right. The timing of the dair is crucial. You must be at the right height AND get the right hitbox.
It does not work on fast fallers, since they fall very fast after the footstool, so mario cannot fall fast enough to lock them.
It does not work on floaties because the dair launches them too far.
MOST characters start tumbling after 10%, so that is why marth is at 11%. Thanks to the low damage of fireball and staling, three fireballs perfectly set them up at 11%.
Here's the combo:

Lazlo_Bananas

Smash Cadet
This looks like a good mix-up, but the throw in the beginning can be teched as well as the spike at the end. Sexy though

nKa ProtoType

Smash Rookie
Fthrow -> Fair lock -> Jab lock -> Jab lock -> Cape -> Dthrow -> Full Jump Uair -> Footstool -> Bair/Nair lock (read DI) -> Dthrow -> Uair -> Uair -> UpB

Edit: Some characters will only get hit by the first Jab to continue the lock. Characters like Marth will pop up after a second one. I will have a full list of who can take 2 jabs vs 1 when I post the video on smashboards in the description. Cape is a free 7% to tack on since it has no knockback.

This leaves only one opportunity to tech (the Fthrow) and does more damage (70+% in training, less in game due to stale-ing). I'll try to make a video going into more detail about it later today after I get some sleep.

Edit: After some further testing, it seems that the combo I stated works on a select few characters (Marth being one of them). Floaties and fast-fallers will get hit too far away or hit the ground too fast to follow up with another lock. Therefore, just following up with a Dthrow -> Utilt -> Uair -> Uair -> UpB works fine and generates slightly less percent.

To get the initial Fthrow -> Fair lock on floaties or characters with fast aerials, slanted platforms is useful (think Lylat) since their extra fall time will be account for by the ground being higher up.

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Some characters will only get hit by the first Jab to continue the lock. Characters like Marth will pop up after a second one. I will have a full list of who can take 2 jabs vs 1 when I post the video on smashboards in the description.
All characters can get three Jab1 from Mario, you just need to not hit the opponent with the tip of the jab (so after the 1st hit, walk a little before the second jab1)

Top Bottom