• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

60 FPS but laggy inputs and some slowdowns

dualwieldroxas

Smash Rookie
Sup guys. So I installed dolphin to play some melee. But i have some issues with the framerate. 90% of the time I get 60 FPS even if I play on FOD with 4 Ice climbers I do have constant 60FPS. But it seems like there is some input lag. For example when I try pillaring with falco then it often happens that the dair or shine doesn't come out in time. I also get some slowdowns at the character select screen. Without a reason the framerate drops to 45 fps in the character select screen. But in game everything runs smoothly besides the input lag. I thought that lowering the resolution could help but even at low res (native) there are the same lags. It only lags in the character select screen. Lowering the resolution also doesn't fix my input lag problem.

I'm using a gamecube controller with the wii u usb adapter. Does someone have the same problems? How can i fix this?

Last edited:

dualwieldroxas

Smash Rookie
In the version I've been using (4.0-9222) there is no direct connect feature. I looked in the controller settings, but there is nothing. So i downloaded dolphin 4.0-4991 which has the direct connect feature. And it's great! But now I have another problem. When I select my gpu in the graphics settings and try to start melee, I get the following error code:

Failed to enumerate outputs!
This usually happens when you've set your video adapter to the Nvidia GPU in an Optimus-equipped system. Set Dolphin to use high-performance graphics in Nvidia's drivers instead and leave Dolphin's adapter set to the Intel GPU.

So I did that. But now it's lagging too much. I can't play with 60 FPS because it drops down to 30 FPS. But I've got to admit that the control is sooooooo much better now. It feels like the input lag is gone.

why is the direct connect feature in older versions but not in one of the latest builds?

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
Have you tried setting Dolphin.exe to high-performance in the Nvidia Control Panel and cycling through all the different backends?

dualwieldroxas

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I tried that, but unfortunately it didn't help. Which dolphin version can you recommend?

Pauer

The Pauerful
I use the master version from a week ago, v4.0-9237
edit: i dont have any lag and both opengl and direct3d work fine for me
perhaps you wanna use a newer version since the compilers only get better over time. I browsed through a couple and 4.0-8548 still has the direct connect option.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
It's way older than the latest versions, but I've stuck to 4.0-7840 (the one currently used for smashladder netplay). I haven't had any troubles with it, and I'm sure other smashladder players haven't either if we've all committed to it.

This is more than likely a load of baloney, but the few times I've played newer versions in the 4.0-9000's on other peoples' computers offline many of them felt at least a tad input laggy. It could also just be their computers, or the newer dolphin settings being unoptimized too.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Def use 7840 for netplay but if your playing offline, play 8586. It has more accurate readings of your input. The only reason the ladder does not support it is due to the fact that netplay on that build is not stable. Right now we're waiting on the dolphin devs to release another version that as stable for netplay as 7840.

Last edited:

dualwieldroxas

Smash Rookie
Thx for your replies. I made a video to kinda show you what I meant

https://youtu.be/doAQ2oubRLQ

0:13-2:14 me vs fox on dreamland with constantly 60 fps

2:47-5:15 me vs fox again but this time on fod with constantly 60 fps

6:05 4 ice climbers on fod with 60 fps

The lags I noticed:

2:27 while character selection
5:51 while character selection again

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Slowdowns in the CSS or other menus is normal for everyone since the game is loading a bunch of info. It's the input lag in matches that you were describing that'd be an issue.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I get slowdowns when the stage select is just loading and sometimes when the character select screen loads (especially on boot), but nothing that affects actual gameplay. So if your slowdowns aren't in game I wouldn't worry about it because that's pretty normal I think

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Do you have the same slowdowns?
Yup. Another thing to consider if you're still getting lagspikes in-game, even when playing offline and after changing your settings to the ones I liked above, is to check whether your computer is getting hot. If computers start overheating, they'll use less than the usual 100% processing power to avoid damaging their harddrives or whatever (they melt if exposed to heat often). If you're computer does get hot while playing, or just in general when it slows down, consider buying a laptop cooling pad (pads with a fan you place under your laptop), or try rig your setup so you can have a regular floor fan on your desk.

EDIT: To clarify, are you still experiencing input lag when running the game at 60fps? Because earlier you posted saying you solved the input lag but couldn't push the game to run past 30fps, but the more recent video was in 60fps. This response was in the context of you still not hitting 60fps but also not dealing with any input lag, since idk how to get around the input lag lol

Last edited:

dualwieldroxas

Smash Rookie
Yeah I guess I explained it the wrong way lol. I'm getting almost 90% of the time 60 FPS with framedrops I mean the lag while selecting a character (which you can see in the video) the lag only lasts for a second or so but it's still annoying. I'm currently using build 8586. The input lag I mentioned earlier is pretty much gone since I use the direct connect feature thanks to you guys. There are some lags ingame as well but it's kinda hard to explain them. I guess I'll make another video to show you what I mean.

Last edited:

dualwieldroxas

Smash Rookie
IDK why but it seems like the mini lags which appeared in melee are gone. at least I didn't notice one little lag the last days. But to show you what I mean I recorded a video in which I play Project M. Dolphin tells me that the game is running with 60 FPS but the sound (bgm) is kinda messed up. The FoD theme does sound really bad. In Melee the FoD theme sounds simply amazing and gives me chills but when I play Project M almost every BGM is distorted (is that even the right word) what I want to say is that it sounds like the quality of the bgm is awful which can't be normal in a final release. therefore it must be my system/setup that messes up the bgm. even the main menu theme sounds weird. Unfortunately my phone could not capture the sound the way I wanted it but I think you can slighty hear that something is wrong with the bgm.

And then look at the lags at 1:45 those are the lags I talked about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE6SAZucsw0

Last edited:
Top Bottom