• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.50 Caliber Sniper Rifles are Dangerous, Mkay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Honestly, it's been a while since we've had a topic here that most people aren't largely in agreement on. Seems to me like we need to attract some patronage possessing of more disparate political views and/or philosophies if we're to have anything interesting going on.
And with this sentiment I bring a debate that always divides the boards, Gun Control! This particular debate is over wether or not the dangerous and very woo-hoo powerful .50 cal weaponry (both handguns and rifles) should be made illegal (or legal if you live in California where they are already illegal).

As a strong proponent of the second ammendment I am taking the side of guns should be legal. I think that .50 guns should remain legal because even though they are extremely powerful, they aren't used in crime. Why make a weapon that hasn't been a problem illegal because people might misuse it? The various high caliber weaponry should remain legal, power should not be taken from the people.

Woo-hah hah!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Excellent. You will get no qualms from me about guns. I think it is every humans' right protect themselves and since most people don't use rocks or sticks, guns are the best way to protect themselves. Also, by making guns illegal you aren't changing anything. In fact, if guns carry a stiff jail time, like marijuana, people are more likely to take the crime further since they are already going to jail.

D

Deleted member

Allow me, then, to be appalled at what you two believe. It's not that I don't like guns - I'd happily play video games with guns in them. GTA is a work of art.

It's just I don't see why people try and defend them as a positive thing for society.

If we're going to have a gun control debate, forget the calibre of the gun, that's irrelevant. Guns are guns. People don't kill people, guns kill people.

I don't really have much else to say at this point in time other than the fact that I can't comprehend the gun fetish Americans have. What the hell is it with you guys? In the last like..week and a half or so, there have been at least 3 publicized shootings, not just random black guy vs random black guy from opposing gang.

The Nebraska Mall shootings, the New Life Church shootings (which could have been like 50 deaths..but ironically was stopped to guns..) and this one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071212/ap_on_re_us/bus_stop_shooting

Not to mention Virginia Tech.

I think I'm done with this topic. You can refute me, and I may respond, but I think it's just really ignorant to continue advocating guns when they're clearly the epitome of human vice.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
If we're going to have a gun control debate, forget the calibre of the gun, that's irrelevant.
Let me guess, you couldn't find any good arguments against the fifty cal so you want to change the debate.

Explain to me how the last few shootings show that fifty caliber weaponry should be made illegal and I will debate you.

D

Deleted member

If you want to pretend like I thought that, then go ahead. A gun is a gun. If you're fighting for the .50 Cal for protection, you're an idiot...nobody uses .50 calibre rifles to protect themselves.

Let me ask you, what's the intention behind owning such a rifle? CK seems to think it's self defense. But honestly. Who defends themself with that kind of rifle?

Which is I guess why they aren't used in crimes. But who the hell cares? Why do you need a real gun? Can't you just use a paintball gun to relieve some stress?

My point is, if we're going to have a gun control debate, why would we debate something that isn't in high contention? Make it general. .50 Cal rifles aren't in high debate, pistols are.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
You know, instead of just spamming in this topic I'd appreciate it if you actually posted an argument against fifty caliber weapons. Just calling Crimson King ******** is not an appropriate tactic.

But to answer your question of "what good are these?" Fifty caliber revolvers are included in Bear Safety Kits in the unlikely situation that you encounter a bear. They are used by game wardens, huntsmen, hikers/campers and forest rangers. They are also kept by people who live in more rural areas near forests where bears live.

If you can't post anything legitimate then don't post anything at all. Otherwise it is obvious that you can't find any arguments against them and you are only bluffing.

Zjiin

Smash Master
I hope this isn't serious. The reason .50 caliber sniper rifles aren't used more often in crimes is because most crimes happen in direct presence of the people involved. A more expensive and awkward weapon that wouldn't be any more useful than a handgun isn't very logical, even to ignorant people. (it's hard to conceal a sniper rifle in your pants while you walk into a convenience store) Yeah, rifles are good for killing people from a distance, but who many assassinations have there been lately? Does that make them safer? Also, to legalize a more powerful weapon due to the fact that it is unorthodox, is only pushing criminals to become more destructive. Think it's hard for the police to bust up a crime lab that's heavily armed? Well not as hard as it's gonna be once they have snipers, thanks to the USA.

As far as gun control ideals, i fully support them. Would I put my name on a petition to start gun control laws? No. The concept of gun control is great. Less crime, safer neighborhoods, and less homicide cases. The realistic version is that gun control laws only apply to those who actually obey the law. You're just making it easier for a guy with a gun to come into your house and do what he wants, since he knows it's illegal for you to carry your own weapon for self defense. Do I think people are smart enough to responsibly carry a lethal weapon? Hell no. The majority of the population are ignorant, panicky, impulsive, and aggressive people. There's no real right way to properly regulate weapons. This funding should go towards more police on the street. (note i don't say higher police pay, therefore a less likely chance of oppression) Want to stop more criminals from getting access to guns? Then stop protecting their right as citizens when they obviously use it improperly for their own benefit. There bureaucrats and their red tape is what stops police raids from doing what they have to to places and groups they know how to find. Which goes into why i hate our poor USA justice system, but I don't feel like writing another 10 paragraphs, so I'll end it here.

Again, this is an insulting serious topic. And if it's not serious, then you shouldn't be posting in the debate hall.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
yeah, what happens when our guns are ALL government owned? They get WAY too much power(Iran).

I just heard on the news last week that not 100 miles from my city(Puyallup) a man killed 2 armed robbers who held guns up to by shooting them when the started stealing stuff, not knowing he had a gun.

Now, if we try to ban guns, guess who doesn't get any? Innocent people. Everyone who wants them for the wrong reason gets them, go figure.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I hope this isn't serious. The reason .50 caliber sniper rifles aren't used more often in crimes is because most crimes happen in direct presence of the people involved. A more expensive and awkward weapon that wouldn't be any more useful than a handgun isn't very logical, even to ignorant people. (it's hard to conceal a sniper rifle in your pants while you walk into a convenience store) Yeah, rifles are good for killing people from a distance, but who many assassinations have there been lately? Does that make them safer? Also, to legalize a more powerful weapon due to the fact that it is unorthodox, is only pushing criminals to become more destructive. Think it's hard for the police to bust up a crime lab that's heavily armed? Well not as hard as it's gonna be once they have snipers, thanks to the USA.
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say. We are not trying to make them legal because they already are. So far nobody is using these weapons for anything illegal.

As far as gun control ideals, i fully support them. Would I put my name on a petition to start gun control laws? No. The concept of gun control is great. Less crime, safer neighborhoods, and less homicide cases. The realistic version is that gun control laws only apply to those who actually obey the law. You're just making it easier for a guy with a gun to come into your house and do what he wants, since he knows it's illegal for you to carry your own weapon for self defense. Do I think people are smart enough to responsibly carry a lethal weapon? Hell no. The majority of the population are ignorant, panicky, impulsive, and aggressive people. There's no real right way to properly regulate weapons. This funding should go towards more police on the street. (note i don't say higher police pay, therefore a less likely chance of oppression) Want to stop more criminals from getting access to guns? Then stop protecting their right as citizens when they obviously use it improperly for their own benefit. There bureaucrats and their red tape is what stops police raids from doing what they have to to places and groups they know how to find. Which goes into why i hate our poor USA justice system, but I don't feel like writing another 10 paragraphs, so I'll end it here.
Who-wha-huh?

Again, this is an insulting serious topic. And if it's not serious, then you shouldn't be posting in the debate hall.
Can you explain to us a little more clearly why you personally find this offensive?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I'm curious to, how is this an insulting topic. It sounds like you're just trying to make yourself sound official.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Can you explain to us a little more clearly why you personally find this offensive?
I'm curious to, how is this an insulting topic. It sounds like you're just trying to make yourself sound official.
It was an insulting topic because i can't read. I was under the impression the OP was trying to to justify sniper rifles legality because statistics say crimes are perpetrated with other weapons more often. This is the last time i reply to something on in the DH while working.

*apologies*

@ KevinM- Official? more like official jackass.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
If we're going to have a gun control debate, forget the calibre of the gun, that's irrelevant.
Let me guess, you couldn't find any good arguments against the fifty cal so you want to change the debate.

Explain to me how the last few shootings show that fifty caliber weaponry should be made illegal and I will debate you.
If you want to pretend like I thought that, then go ahead.
[It] is obvious that you can't find any arguments against them and you are only bluffing.
[...].50 Cal rifles aren't in high debate, pistols are.
This particular debate is over wether or not [...] .50 cal weaponry (both handguns and rifles) should be made illegal.
But to answer your question of "what good are these?" Fifty caliber revolvers are included in Bear Safety Kits in the unlikely situation that you encounter a bear. They are used by game wardens, huntsmen, hikers/campers and forest rangers. They are also kept by people who live in more rural areas near forests where bears live.
It has been a week and you have said nothing. I will make the valid assumption that it is because you have no valid arguments against the fifty caliber and that we have won the debate.

:grin: All rejoice!

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
It has been a week and you have said nothing. I will make the valid assumption that it is because you have no valid arguments against the fifty caliber and that we have won the debate.

:grin: All rejoice!
There's no problem with gun control... so making a .50 gun legal isn't something problematic.

Laws should state .50 guns legal, but with certain requirements (+21, balanced-mind, don't have a criminal record, psychological analysis, tests, etc.). After that, if you're approved, you can have a gun to protect yourself.

I can't imagine a law that makes guns legal and doesn't state those kind of controls.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
You be kidding, right? Other than an age and lack of a criminal record, I see no reason why any person should be denied the right to own fifty caliber weapon. What tests do you need beyond that?

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
well... it might not be THAT strict, but the age and lack of a criminal record doesn't allow you to see if He/She's an insane person. I know such controls aren't made, but if so, that would help a lot to prevent murderers, and the gun law will be more accepted.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I'm going to start off saying that I am not a gun person. I hate guns, unless if they're in a video game, much like my dad.

Guns are one of the ultimate forms of defence, hands down. The problem with them though is that they cause unintended injuries and deaths. I would say that guns are a no-no, but the fact that other people can get guns even if they were illegal changes my mind about the lagality of this weapon.

If you were denied the right to protect yourself with a weapon that gives you an equal chance of survival as your opponent, then that would be wrong. I wouldn't want someone entering my home with a gun, and me with the only thing to protect myself with is a kitchen knife (or anything else, depending on where I am ATM). Sure, if you can catch the burgler at surprise, you could easily throw a knife at him/her and kill him/her, or injure/stall him/her enough to call the police. But what if you miss? What if you don't catch him/her at surprise. You're screwed!

If you didn't understand what my whole post is about, then I will conclude saying that even though guns are dangerous, they should be legal.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I'm going to start off saying that I am not a gun person. I hate guns, unless if they're in a video game, much like my dad.
I am happy to hear that your father is in a video game (minus one for clarity).

Guns are one of the ultimate forms of defence, hands down. The problem with them though is that they cause unintended injuries and deaths. I would say that guns are a no-no, but the fact that other people can get guns even if they were illegal changes my mind about the lagality[sic] of this weapon.
I am happy to hear this, what does it have to do with fifty caliber weapons? (minus one for spelling)

If you were denied the right to protect yourself with a weapon that gives you an equal chance of survival as your opponent, then that would be wrong. I wouldn't want someone entering my home with a gun, and me with the only thing to protect myself with is a kitchen knife (or anything else, depending on where I am ATM). Sure, if you can catch the burgler[sic] at surprise, you could easily throw a knife at him/her and kill him/her, or injure/stall him/her enough to call the police. But what if you miss? What if you don't catch him/her at surprise. You're screwed!
This has very little to do with the subject of debate: Should Fifty Caliber Weapons Remain Legal? (minus one for straying for left off topic)

If you didn't understand what my whole post is about, then I will conclude saying that even though guns are dangerous, they should be legal.
You had me lost at your father is from a video game.

Ophelius

Smash Ace
You know the little sprinkles you had on your ice
Who in their right mind would try to carry on an assault with a fifty cal? All those guns are good for is sniping, and that is where I just gave up. Noone can snipe from anywhere up close, because it's too dangerous. Plus, the big bang will attract alot of attention. Let me also point out that it's impossible to silence the guns. Of course, there's also the .50 cal automatic rifles, but the strange with an illegal weapon on the front lawn would be a due cause for alarm. Plus the ammo is uber expensive, so I dont think that you'd have to worry about getting shot with one of those anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom