• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

50/50s in Melee

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but does anyone have some examples of 50/50s? Aside from Sheik up smash during a down throw tech chase or Marth forward throw/down throw DI mixups, what are some other examples of 50/50s?

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Can you clarify please?
Are you talking about situations in which there are only two options?

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
Can you clarify please?
Are you talking about situations in which there are only two options?
No, not situations that just have two options but also situations where a person covers half the options available, such as the Sheik up smash tech chase I listed above.

Or even 50/50 DI mixups like the Marth one I listed.

Pauer

The Pauerful
There are tons of combos that have 50/50 mindgames with DI in and out and hitting them with hard or soft (comboing) hits.
If you DI out, you avoid the combo of the weak hit but get sent away further if you're hit with a hard hit.
If you DI in, you don't get sent away as far but you will get hit by a comboing hit.
Kira refers to this sort of mindgame in his "How to beat Sheik" video.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Care to list some of them? I'm just wondering what some of them are aside from the two I listed.
Any situation where you cover tech in place and no tech, but not the techrolls is a 50/50.

Any time there are 2 basic DI options out of a throw and you cover one based on a read, it's a 50/50.

There aren't many in neutral except for in micro-situations where you've made a number of your opponent's options obsolete by your positioning, and these are very specific scenarios although they happen often.

There are cases in edgeguarding too against fast recoveries, like if you know fox/falco's dj will put them even with the ledge, you can cover the side-b, but they might up-b. Not a great example because in many cases you can cover it all.

There are a ton. And some arent quite 50/50, and could be better or worse than 50% based on the situation, with positioning, platform location, DI options, percent, etc.

You're asking a lot.

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
Any situation where you cover tech in place and no tech, but not the techrolls is a 50/50.

Any time there are 2 basic DI options out of a throw and you cover one based on a read, it's a 50/50.

There aren't many in neutral except for in micro-situations where you've made a number of your opponent's options obsolete by your positioning, and these are very specific scenarios although they happen often.

There are cases in edgeguarding too against fast recoveries, like if you know fox/falco's dj will put them even with the ledge, you can cover the side-b, but they might up-b. Not a great example because in many cases you can cover it all.

There are a ton. And some arent quite 50/50, and could be better or worse than 50% based on the situation, with positioning, platform location, DI options, percent, etc.

You're asking a lot.
Alright, I was just looking for general examples like that. I know there's waaaaaaaaay too many to list but I was just looking for what you said. Thanks.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Examples:
Peach's weak bair to nair DI mixup.
Peach can do dsmash or grab after a good FC aerial on shield.

Top Bottom