• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 Frame HDTV Delay - Does it really matter that much?

Ronin686

Smash Ace
We all know that an HDTV has a delay of 5 frames. Unfortunately I almost always play smash on an HDTV, and I've gotten used to it. I went over to a friends house, and, being used to the HDTV, I wasn't very good for the first few minutes. After I warmed up to the normal TV though, I was playing just fine and owning all of my friends pretty bad.

So my question is this: Does it really matter that much? I barely ever play on a normal TV, and I figured out the delay quickly and shifted the timing on my button pressing accordingly.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Yes it does.

And not all HDTVs lag 5 frames; some are better and some are worse.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Of course it does. What kind of question is that? The game play is extremely messed up if you play 5 frames slower. You have to wait and watch what you do on the controller on the TV. (did that make sense?)

It was hard for me.

full_95

Smash Journeyman
Well, you were owning your *friends*. >_> Everyone's friends suck. It's the law of SSBM.
hahahahaha, that is truth. to give my two cents, i would say that once you are used to both, it is prolly pretty easy to switch back and forth. itll prolly just take a few minutes to readjust to a normal tv if youve been playin on an HD and vice versa.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
hahahahaha, that is truth. to give my two cents, i would say that once you are used to both, it is prolly pretty easy to switch back and forth. itll prolly just take a few minutes to readjust to a normal tv if youve been playin on an HD and vice versa.
Exactly the answer I'm looking for. Thanks.

DRD

Smash Lord
Well of course it won't matter if you've playing on an HDTV all of your life, but here's a scenario where it can get you killed; You're playing a computer Marth, and you're up in percents. You think 'Grab him!', and do. In that time delay, he hits you with a tipped Fsmash and you go soaring for the stars.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
beleive it or not, most of the smash moves you learn are coded into your muscle memorry, and you just pull them off, usually regardless of whats going on in the screen.

if your opponent rolls away whilst youre pillaring, you might, just because you "feel it" - do another pillar, because thats what you programmed yourself to do, andyou havnt reacted to him rolling away yet.

5 frames is something you can very easily get used to. for what that means, it means that your l-cancelling will have to be less than a 1/10 of a second earlier, which is something you will get unconciously used to very quickly.

there are a few exceptions, such as fox's drill, where the move ISNT coded into your memory, but you actually have to watch onscreen as to where to l-cancel, which *might* hinder you.

i switch back and forth reguarly all the time.

if it REALLY pisses you off, change the aspect ratio.

more likely or not, if you think the problem is fixed <even if it isnt> - then it will be for you, and you will experience absolutely no problem at all.

DRD

Smash Lord
Aspect ratio does nothing. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY to reduce lag completely without foreign devices.

And Lag will always hurt you.

@ Mrobinson: Delay happens on LCD TV's because there is a thing called native resolution. On normal Tv's, the Native resolution is 480p/i or something around there, which is where smash and most other games are played on. The Gamecube has a resolution of around 480, like normal Tvs. Thus they do not need to scale the image. With LCD TV's, the native resolution is either 720 or 1080, meaning it has to resize the image from the Gamecube to the Tv screen. In this small time space it uses to change the res it lags.

Metà

Smash Master
We do not ever allow people to use laggy TV's at our smash tourneys in BC. This has come up before, and we just tell them not to bring it if it lags. People are really sensitive about lag; people don't use wavebirds because they have approximately 1 frame of lag ever 60 or so frames. It doesn't make that much of a difference, but lag can vary; 5 frames, if that's right, is a lot of lag. That's a twelfth of a second, and at higher levels, it will throw any good player off. Having 1/12th of a second between pressing a button and starting the attack is pretty bad. I would strongly advise not using laggy TV's for smash, because it will inevitably lead to bad habits and poor timing.

Lucid

Smash Cadet
the truth is you shouldnt play on hd and instead practice on a standard tv, it could be a small difference but it will make that difference.

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
yes it does matter your dumb.
That was unnecessary...

On topic portion of my post:
For me, it makes all the difference. How am I supposed to SWD correctly if the frames are off? That takes down to the frame accuracy, and it took me forever just to adjust to that...
When I began to learn it, I would only be a few frames off, yet it still took a while for me to get it right, despite the fact that I knew when to do it. If this all of a sudden changes by 5 frames, it would totally screw with how I do it.

When in the case of other things like L-canceling and teching, those have a wider window of opportunity, so it would be easier to adjust to that. But still, in a heated match, 5 frames can be the difference between a KO and a fall.

Plus, a 5 frame lag would just bug the crap out of me.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
We do not ever allow people to use laggy TV's at our smash tourneys in BC. This has come up before, and we just tell them not to bring it if it lags. People are really sensitive about lag; people don't use wavebirds because they have approximately 1 frame of lag ever 60 or so frames. It doesn't make that much of a difference, but lag can vary; 5 frames, if that's right, is a lot of lag. That's a twelfth of a second, and at higher levels, it will throw any good player off. Having 1/12th of a second between pressing a button and starting the attack is pretty bad. I would strongly advise not using laggy TV's for smash, because it will inevitably lead to bad habits and poor timing.
wavebirds dont lag.

they in fact, lag less than a regular controller. but the TV cant detect that, so there is one frame of lag, which ALL controllers have.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yeah, wavebirds are fine. I just don't like the slightly heavier feel of them and the chance of the batteries dieing.
The lag only matters if you are into the level of frame by frame action where it becomes a necessity. I need to figure out the lag because I only have 1 fram to hit a SWD on to pull it off, which is really hard to do without lag. I play on slightly laggy TVs at my school, but I have mostly gotten use to them. I play on my TV at home to keep fresh. Speaking of which...

Top Bottom