• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
We need to go deeper.

Seriously though. Your idea here is pretty neat.

Last edited:

GingerOs

Smash Rookie
Out of curiosity, are you writing these on paper or in a document? I take notes in a notebook, but I have found that it's getting highly disorganized.

LSDSSBM

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Logan#0
I have a notebook where I store the internet's notes on matchups, my observations about my opponent, and chaingrab percents. Writing during a set helps me calm down and think hard about what I need to do.

Rice03

Smash Cadet
Hello, I`m trying to get into the habit of taking notes during matches, typically I like to watch top players aganist less skilled players in pools, seeing as how I can see exploits in their play on a very basic basis. None the less, Im wondering how "Deep" I have to go, or if its something I need to fit my own needs, this is what I have so far for just game 1 of this set.
Set: https://vods.co/v/dlcldm?position=40&list=x7U2HayHAhrD9fDl2ztxKrHhhFfusaW2EDIZIsRqsVQ
Notes:
Game 1

0:03- Fsmash beats Flaco`s laser, misspace by PPMD due to lack of knowledge regarding what opponent will do

Better options for Marth

-Grab, throw to middle left platform on BF

0:05- Falco dashes back to laser fixing his space

0:08- Falco lands laser to Nair, does not knockdown or do damage, in response, Marth rolls to edge of BF

Marth could have:

-Grabbed after Falco landed

0:09-0:14- Marth gets hit by back air, lands on ledge, nairs back on stage, misses, gets naired to Dsmash, taken off stage

Marth could have:

Chose a different option that would put him in an advantage position, like roll, resulting in him only getting hit with a move that would not have led to him losing stage control. Bair leads to this conversion, so he could have also predicted a move that put him near/offstage.

0:21- gets juggled by Falco

Marth can prevent this by

-mixing up Di

-challenging aerial pressure (He did this, but with a weak move (Side B) could use Fair)

0:24- Falco grabs ledge, Marth does not cancel momentum and loses stock

Marth could have

• Side Bd earlier thus, canceling his momentum and up b back to ledge
0:29- Falco baits out Nair by jumping to top platform, shines

Marth could have

• Waited for Falco to drop down

• Gone under platform, bait shield drop, grab

• Upair

• Uptilt
0:30-0:34- Marth combos Falco, Marth dis in the whole time

Marth could have

-Mixed up Di

-Di up air away since it is a weak move

0:44: Marth sits in shield, gets punshed

Marth Could have

• Not sit in shield
0:57 Marth dis away too much, puts himself in a disadvantageous position (off stage) loses stock due to dtilt

Marth could have

• Di mixup

• Not get hit
1:03 Dair combo by falco

Marth could have

• Teched hits

These are good notes. Make sure these are organized well and make sure to apply what PPMD did to your gameplay even if you do not play falco. Make sure you watch the second game where PPMD goes Marth and then take more notes on what PP Did to destroy that scrub. Lastly, learn from these. What did PPMD do right and what his opponent did wrong.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
What I do is try and pinpoint certain situations in matches that are likely to happen often, rather than analyzing every single move. Additionally, there isn't much use in taking notes and scrutinizing a scenario that was either a fluke or a strange instance that you as a player probably won't have to deal with or worry about. Study what a top play does while edgeguarding, being edgeguarded, controlling neutral, starting up combos, et cetera. It's a lot easier to see improvements that way, as those are key elements to winning. Also I wouldn't overthink what "could have" been done. The medium in which you keep your notes is up to your preference, but keeping them typed up is probably going to keep them more organized. Hope my advice could help!

Top Bottom