• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
You don't really want to do that. You just want to keep spacing PK Fire and Rope Snake. He has easily the worst grab in the game (maybe not counting Pac-Man?) even if his throws are good, so he's not putting on much of an offensive threat. Neutral air and forward air are both too unsafe to use as an approach. His dash attack is too slow and doesn't have many active frames, none of his moves do, really. There's no need to approach when Lucas has a fairly safe projectile that knocks people into the air.

If you HAVE to approach for some reason, all you really have is Rope Snake and crossthrough neutral air. You need to mix things up so they don't expect those, but overall Lucas's normals aren't really fast or safe enough to be approaching.

Last edited:

gByron

Smash Cadet
I slowly admit the fact that he is one of the worse characters in the game

Last edited:

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
I slowly admit the fact that he is one of the worse characters in the game
I wouldn't say that at all. Lucas can be a read-based character wherein you play keep-away, learn your opponent's habits, and condition them into a punishing situation. Lucas's punishment game is very deadly, with early Dthrow combos racking up insane amounts of damage, three kill throws, a hoo-hah combo, and a ridiculously powerful Usmash. His Nair can carry you offstage where you're in serious danger of being spiked or gimped.

The style of play isn't for everyone, but it certainly doesn't make him the worst character in the game or even low tier. If you're looking for rushdown, play Sheik or Falcon. If you enjoy zoning and punishment games, Lucas is perfect for you. The two can also work well as main + secondary characters.

Basically it's a bad idea to get in with Lucas without some hard reads, such as knowing your opponent's habits for anti-approach options.

Top Bottom