• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3rd Party Controller Shells

Does this work?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Yes with heavy modifications

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

BluJay-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jednie
I want to work on a customized controller. I want to have a front shell from one controller to spray paint and a see through back shell for the LED's to shine through.

Here's my issue. I can't find an official see through controller or a half solid half see through one that's new and not overly priced.

So what I want to know is, can I take an official Smash 4 controller, and buy a controller like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SS...controller&dpPl=1&dpID=41Hd0J+g7YL&ref=plSrch

And piece the shells together perfectly? I would obviously only use the official controller parts because third party ones are bad. I just need the back shell. Anyone used this 3rd party controller for mods or something else? If you can link me to one that works I would be very grateful!!

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
I want to work on a customized controller. I want to have a front shell from one controller to spray paint and a see through back shell for the LED's to shine through.

Here's my issue. I can't find an official see through controller or a half solid half see through one that's new and not overly priced.

So what I want to know is, can I take an official Smash 4 controller, and buy a controller like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SS3LBRM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1451797379&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Clear+GameCube+controller&dpPl=1&dpID=41Hd0J+g7YL&ref=plSrch

And piece the shells together perfectly? I would obviously only use the official controller parts because third party ones are bad. I just need the back shell. Anyone used this 3rd party controller for mods or something else? If you can link me to one that works I would be very grateful!!
Those shells won't work together. They just won't fit.

The insides of an official and third party controller are specifically designed to sit in their intended shell. Official controller parts (like the big rumble motor) might be either to tight or too loose to fit in a 3rd party shell like that one. I personally don't have that exact controller, but every third-party GC controller I've come across uses No. 0 type screws (traditional Phillips head screws) instead of Tri-Wing screws that official Nintendo GC controllers do. I suppose you could get the two shells to be joined together with a lot of heavy modification (I'm talking about potentially cutting out and inserting your own plastic into the back shell so things fit) but it's ultimately not worth it.

If you're looking for a official clear back/front plate, try searching on eBay. There's a couple used clear controllers floating around you can salvage parts from.

Last edited:

BluJay-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jednie

The insides of an official and third party controller are specifically designed to sit in their intended shell. Official controller parts (like the big rumble motor) might be either to tight or too loose to fit in a 3rd party shell like that one. I personally don't have that exact controller, but every third-party GC controller I've come across uses No. 0 type screws (traditional Phillips head screws) instead of Tri-Wing screws that official Nintendo GC controllers do. I suppose you could get the two shells to be joined together with a lot of heavy modification (I'm talking about potentially cutting out and inserting your own plastic into the back shell so things fit) but it's ultimately not worth it.

If you're looking for a official clear back/front plate, try searching on eBay. There's a couple used clear controllers floating around you can salvage parts from.
*sigh* not what I was hoping for but thank you for the info. I don't feel like paying 50+ for a controller I only need the back for though...

BluJay-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jednie
I wish there was a site you could just buy the casing from...

BluJay-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jednie

If rumble is the huge issue, I'm going to take it out anyways because I'm adding LEDs and it's going to replace the rumble motor

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
*sigh* not what I was hoping for but thank you for the info. I don't feel like paying 50+ for a controller I only need the back for though...
You still get a whole controller to use as a spare, to use for parts, or to give away/sell, so the rest of it isn't necessarily going to waste.

Perhaps you could find another Smasher who would be willing to swap back shells with you (paying them if necessary).

Last edited:

BluJay-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jednie
You still get a whole controller to use as a spare, to use for parts, or to give away/sell, so the rest of it isn't necessarily going to waste.

Perhaps you could find another Smasher who would be willing to swap back shells with you (paying them if necessary).
I guess. Would getting a used clear controller or Indigo and Clear that's used work? I'm not worrying about buttons or anything because I'll be gutting it. I found some decent prices on used ones

Last edited:

BluJay-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jednie
Yes. All normal GameCube controller shells are freely interchangeable.
I know that, what I was wondering if there was some reason not to get a used controller just for the casing. Unless the owner is Leffen and throws his controller, I don't think There should be anything wrong with the case

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
I know that, what I was wondering if there was some reason not to get a used controller just for the casing. Unless the owner is Leffen and throws his controller, I don't think There should be anything wrong with the case
There's not, as you now have a case and spare parts.

o.t. I'd totally buy Leffen's smashed controller just for the novelty factor.

BluJay-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jednie
There's not, as you now have a case and spare parts.

o.t. I'd totally buy Leffen's smashed controller just for the novelty factor.
I'm only using a clear case for LEDs. Figures its a pain to get the case for it :/
o.t. I would too XD Leffens awesome imo

aVerySneakyBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
boxxku
3DS FC
0001-3530-7749
I'm only using a clear case for LEDs. Figures its a pain to get the case for it :/
o.t. I would too XD Leffens awesome imo
Hi, sorry for bumping but that controller is the exact one I bought, before I do an led mod too I was wondering if you had any issues ?

Top Bottom