• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3ds will hold roster back

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I really wish that they hadn't committed to shackling the two rosters together. It'd make much more sense to still go whole hog with the WiiU and then let whatever limitations the 3DS has affect only the 3DS. Still, I have faith that Sakurai will deliver a satisfying final product.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
A 3DS game card is capable of holding 8 gigs of data. Brawl used almost 7 gigs. There's no chance in hell that the 3DS version will hold back the roster. We're pretty much guaranteed that 35 characters can get onto the 3DS version, which is fine by me. They could definitely fit 40-ish by cutting stupid stuff like Masterpieces or the coin launcher to save room.We don't need 55 or 60 characters to make the game good. 35 is PLENTY.

I'm so sick of these "3DS Version is bad" threads. Like just stop. The games not out yet, you don't know that it's getting held back for the 3DS, even though it isn't.
They could actually fit allot more then even 40. The reason Brawl took up so much space is because of 2 things, SSE nad poor compression. It's been confirmed already that we won't be having another SSE and I'm sure they will do better compression this time arounds. Other fighting games on the 3DS like Street fighter and Tekken have 40+ characters on them and only use like 2 or 3 GBs. Characters don't take up the much space in all honesty. With that said I'm not expecting anymore then 48 characters but wouldn't be surprised or care if its lower.

Spin3no

Smash Rookie
Are we talking about adding funky characters like olimar and ice climbers?.. Or just 3ds power, tekken on the 3ds had 41 characters and a movie.. Each character has at least 80 something animations. It runs fine but the game did not have a lot of features.. If smash 3d did the same thing but dumped the movie added features and better online to game would still have room for more, Whatever it would be.. Look at kid Icarus uprising but this game could have had more levels.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
People tend to forget what absolutely amazing Sakurai did already with 3DS before.

Little bit more positivity if you may guys

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Don't be silly. We can't have an outrageously small roster. The lower limit would probably be around 20.

Though I would take 20 amazing characters over 50 mediocre characters any day.

Quality.
While I think most people would agree 5 is outrageously small, some might argue that 15 isn't, and be willing to go that far. 30 is my absolute min. I could understand having a few less characters then Brawl, but not many and definitely not less than Melee. In truth I'm hoping for closer to 42. 45 is the max that even seems feasible as I doubt they add more characters to this game, then they added from Melee to Brawl. Unless most people are counting transformations but I'm not.

Back to the point though, it sounds like you are willing to trade a little quality for a lot of quantity. I don't know that I'm in the same boat. In my mind Brawl had pretty good quality. I would like better out of this game, but if that means 5 less characters than Brawl as opposed to 15 more? I'm not sure I agree. Now if the 50 had completely terrible quality and balance I'd be right there with you. Many of us agree that quality is more important than quantity, but by how much, is not obvious. Maybe it's because I said Brawl quality and to you that means mediocre. To me it signifies most of the way there. The trouble is I don't know how else to quantify quality without comparing to some other game.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
People tend to forget what absolutely amazing Sakurai did already with 3DS before.

The argument can go both ways. Uprising might just be too amazing to live up to, and as such Smash 3DS will be compared to it more than it should be.

Little bit more positivity if you may guys
NEVER. :glare:

D

Deleted member

It'd be pretty contradictory for Sakurai to say that the roster is being held back and then say on several occasions he's going to try to get as many characters as possible in and say in this same article that he hasn't cut anyone yet (most likely referring to past veterans along with potential newcomers).

[Corn]

Smash Ace
You realize that the two games wont be exactly the same correct?

In an earlier interview, he stated that what is possible on the Wii U but has issues on the 3DS will still be implemented, but the 3DS version will be differennt. He didnt even say that they would have all the same characters, only nearly the same roster I believe.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
In an earlier interview, he stated that what is possible on the Wii U but has issues on the 3DS will still be implemented, but the 3DS version will be differennt. He didnt even say that they would have all the same characters, only nearly the same roster I believe.
I remember when I used to say it, but then someone proved me wrong and I can't be bothered to find the article for you.
They will have the same characters if I remember correctly.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes both rosters will have the same characters. The only differences will be stages and some other stuff we don't know about. But I am fairly certain that Sakurai kept stressing about the roster being the exact same and all.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
I remember when I used to say it, but then someone proved me wrong and I can't be bothered to find the article for you.
They will have the same characters if I remember correctly.

He said same roster, but not same attributes on characters that are hard to implement. Ex : IC and Transformation character, maybe some items as well.
They will prob be in, but have different things about them.

Top Bottom