• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Version = Glorified Beta?

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
When you take a look at the development schedule this game has gone through, it's kind of hard to believe how "complete" this game is going to be.

I have this strange feeling that the initial release of this game is going to be buggy, especially after finding out that Sakurai went with a blitz-style of Q.A. by hiring a large number of testers over a relatively short amount of time. (I'm basing this off of his latest Famitsu article.)

I'm not even going to consider where this leaves the competitive balance of this game. That's a whole other can of worms that I'm sure has been or will be discussed, but properly addressed with future title support. (I'm assuming of course, but it feels obvious at this point.)

Am I the only one who thinks this game will be "incomplete" or "unpolished" initially?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Nonsense. This is Smash Bros. If the 3ds version was a glorified beta it wouldn't be sold for full price like the Wii U version. If the 3ds version was a glorified beta then there would be riots worse than the Brawl riots.
This isn't Gearbox, Ubisoft or EA we're talking about. This is Nintendo.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be perfectly blunt, the 3DS has way more content than the Wii U version right now, in terms of what the public know, even discounting the recent leak. So no, I don't think it's a glorified beta. 3DS version is Smash 4, Wii U version is Smash 5, as far as I'm concerned. I only refer to both as Smash 4 or as "versions" when posting/talking because everyone else doing so has made me do it by force of habit.

D

Deleted member 245254

When you take a look at the development schedule this game has gone through, it's kind of hard to believe how "complete" this game is going to be.

I have this strange feeling that the initial release of this game is going to be buggy, especially after finding out that Sakurai went with a blitz-style of Q.A. by hiring a large number of testers over a relatively short amount of time. (I'm basing this off of his latest Famitsu article.)

I'm not even going to consider where this leaves the competitive balance of this game. That's a whole other can of worms that I'm sure has been or will be discussed, but properly addressed with future title support. (I'm assuming of course, but it feels obvious at this point.)

Am I the only one who thinks this game will be "incomplete" or "unpolished" initially?
As a poster said above me, this is unsupported nonsense.

Nintendo is most well known for the level of polish they put on all of their exclusives. This is Smash Bros. You can expect that stereotype in full force here.

You don't know much about the game because you don't own it yet. Smash tends to be better with surprises.

To me it's a portable version of Smash 4. No reason to separate it so far from Smash Wii U like its a different game.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
With a huge team working on the game, literally bringing in hundreds of people just for testing/debugging, etc, etc that I really don't need to go over, I'd be flabbergasted (yes, flabbergasted) if the game turned out to be "incomplete" or "unpolished". Even from the PotDs we can see how much detail is going into this game. So much so that some members think that some of the attention to detail is a bit over-the-top or unnecessary.

I'm sure that they're well aware of how big this release will be. We're dealing with perfectionists, and I'm confident that the game will show off all of their hard work.

I also feel the need to say that the potential lack of some personal desires (certain characters, advanced techniques, etc) does not mean that the game is unfinished/unpolished. Figured I'd throw that out there since some people try to bash something just because it doesn't have everything they'd like to see rather than universal wants/needs. Not exactly referring to you here, Scott.

I'll probably be monitoring this thread for awhile in case it turns into a flame fest (let's avoid that :)). People can sometimes involve their own personal feelings and if someone doesn't agree with, problems may arise...

Raijinken

Smash Master
3DS Version = Smash Bros for 3DS.

It will be complete. No Smash Run on the U version, so that one's more likely to feel lacking to me =P

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Nonsense. This is Smash Bros. If the 3ds version was a glorified beta it wouldn't be sold for full price like the Wii U version. If the 3ds version was a glorified beta then there would be riots worse than the Brawl riots.
Amen

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
It's very simple.

The Smash WiiU is the version you will be able to play at your living room.
The Smash 3DS is the version you will be able to play in at your living room, your room, the bathroom, in the car, in the bus, and so on...

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
From what I've heard the 3DS version was the original choice. Also since it's coming out first, any bad publicity will harm the Wii U sales.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
When has anyone played a broken Nintendo game. Even older games such as OOT don't break too often with exploits. Nintendo track record for 3DS and Wii U has been outstanding. I don't see why this would change with smash 3DS.

skyluigi2

Smash Rookie
NNID
skyluigi
3DS FC
5069-3912-3062
Smash 3DS is definitely not a glorified beta. It's clear that just as much effort has been put into the 3DS version, if not more so than the Wii U version, especially with modes like Smash Run.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Tired of seeing all these threads about the 3DS version being nothing more than a Wii U demo. They're completely different games with completely different features. So to answer your question, no, it will not be a glorified beta. It'll be it's own full game, "Super Smash Bros for 3DS"

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
...Why in the world would Nintendo release a beta of a game and put this much effort into showing it off? I've wondered that every single time one of these threads come up. This version is a full game that can stand by itself. It's not a watered-down Wii U version.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The 3DS version was originally the only version. If anything, the Wii U version will be inferior because Sakurai spent a ton of time thinking up 3DS features.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
It's not a watered-down Wii U version.
I wish people understood this. Just because it's a handheld vs a console doesn't automatically mean on is better than the other. If anything I'd think they'd put more effort in the 3DS version because not only is it coming out first but it will likely get more sales.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Tired of seeing all these threads about the 3DS version being nothing more than a Wii U demo
I am tired of that too. I wish this kind of thread were locked as soon as a moderator sees them, since they are most of time baiting/trolling.

The 3DS version is its own game. It is not a beat nor it is inferior or superior to Smash Wii U, Brawl Melee or 64. It is Smash 3DS and nothing else.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Someone's jealous that their most anticipated version is coming out second, no?

Renji64

Smash Lord
It isn't a beta it is it's own thing it is the only handheld/portable smash. I still like it and dislike it for possibly being the reason ice climbers are cut. But 3ds and WiiU will be night and day just same roster.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
The only way AT ALL the 3DS will be inferior to the WiiU version is the graphics. And those don't even bother me. I just want one fun smash. And I think the 3DS version will give us that fun.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
The 3DS version was originally the only version. If anything, the Wii U version will be inferior because Sakurai spent a ton of time thinking up 3DS features.
Source?

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
Why do people even make threads like this...
THEY ARE BOTH SMASH GAMES AND THEY BOTH HAVE THEIR ADVANTAGES
/THREAD

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I think many of you might be taking this out of context a bit. As the way i see it is the 3DS is it's own completely polished thing but that it still is acting as a sort of "beta" test in terms of character balance. Lets say we discover some OP exploits with specific characters that are game breaking or just overly advantageous. Sakurai and the dev team can use the data gathered from players playing the 3DS version to make these character changes to the wii U version and when the Wii U version hits release a patch for the 3DS that updates it to be like the wii u version. So essentially the 3DS version can act as a global beta test for finding exploits that couldn't be found with the games closed testing that was done before launch.

I find it pretty hard to believe that sakurai and the dev team won't make absolutely no changes between 2 months or so of the 3ds and wii u versions. especially given that the months between both versions is dedicated specifically for debugging what better way to find issues and address them than to use the feedback from players across the world. It just would seem like a missed opportunity to create a better product imo if they avoided this option.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think many of you might be taking this out of context a bit. As the way i see it is the 3DS is it's own completely polished thing but that it still is acting as a sort of "beta" test in terms of character balance. Lets say we discover some OP exploits with specific characters that are game breaking or just overly advantageous. Sakurai and the dev team can use the data gathered from players playing the 3DS version to make these character changes to the wii U version and when the Wii U version hits release a patch for the 3DS that updates it to be like the wii u version. So essentially the 3DS version can act as a global beta test for finding exploits that couldn't be found with the games closed testing that was done before launch.

I find it pretty hard to believe that sakurai and the dev team won't make absolutely no changes between 2 months or so of the 3ds and wii u versions. especially given that the months between both versions is dedicated specifically for debugging what better way to find issues and address them than to use the feedback from players across the world. It just would seem like a missed opportunity to create a better product imo if they avoided this option.
Of course. But the topic title is implying the 3DS version exists only to be a beta, and that's clearly not the case.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
No. It's a handheld version of the latest Super Smash Brothers. You know, the one you can play on the bus or in the car, or on the toilet when you're out of Wii U gamepad range.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Nintendo is extremely thourough. If they do miss something, they will be on that immediately. But for most of us, the game will be fine.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Smash 3DS is just Smash WiiU with less c-stick and more Smash Run.
Doesn't sound like a beta to me.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
The 3DS version is far from a "glorified beta".

I'll never understand why some see it as an "inferior version" of the Wii U version. Because it's a portable Smash? 3DS game cards don't have the capacity to hold as much data as the Wii U disc?
That didn't stop the Sakurai and the developers from putting loads of content into the game. They're related but they do have their differences, take Smash Run for example.

Yeah, maybe the Wii U version might have more content, but Smash Bros. for 3DS is its own game, not some demo or trial version for the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
It's very simple.

The Smash WiiU is the version you will be able to play at your living room.
The Smash 3DS is the version you will be able to play in at your living room, your room, the bathroom, in the car, in the bus, and so on...
But i can play the wii u in my living room, my room, my bathroom, AND my car...

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Most of you are misconstruing what I'm trying to say, so I'll elaborate.

I'm not saying this version of the game will be inferior.

I'm also not saying that this version of the game won't provide a full experience.

However, when you consider the development schedule this game has been on (specifically the Q.A. side of it), this release window is very tight. This is why I'm assuming the 3DS version will initially function as a beta to look into unforeseen interactions before the console release. It doesn't mean it will always be that way. Just initially.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Nintendo is most well known for the level of polish they put on all of their exclusives. This is Smash Bros. You can expect that stereotype in full force here.
Actually, it has often been argued that Brawl is an unfinished game that needed further polishing, but was released because the release date had already been delayed a few times. I don't remember everything that should and could have been fixed quite easily but weren't due to their hurry to release the game as soon as possible, but some examples would include the fact that Snake's hitframe was made considerably smaller, but the hitboxes of his tilts as well as his weight remained unchanged by accident, or that Peach's was invincible from frame 19 instead of 29, or stuff like people being able to hit Ganondorf out of his Up B on hit. Brawl, Smash 3DS's predecessor, is evidently an unfinished game, released by Nintendo.

Last edited:

SuperSah

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSah
3DS FC
4425-2273-6142
I don't even want to entertain this thread.

Smash 3DS is a complete game. This is Sakurai we're talking about, Sakurai.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
When has anyone played a broken Nintendo game. Even older games such as OOT don't break too often with exploits. Nintendo track record for 3DS and Wii U has been outstanding. I don't see why this would change with smash 3DS.
well the only broken games with nintendo characters are the ones not having anything to do with nintendo other than licensing. (LOOKING AT YOU EDUTAINMENT MARIO GAMES AND CDI GAMES) aside from those, nintendo usually hits home with polish, :3 even if mewtwo or ridley isnt there, you know i would eat it up and still love it. smash without mewtwo to me is like eating ice cream but missing a few key toppings, im gonna still love it, but i just wish they could have put those toppings on. besides, i have a feeling pac-man, the villager and megaman will all be my new mains :p so i cant be too torn up with a few missing characters i really, really wanted in right? besides, smash bros. on the go!! you just cant beat that idea. :3
the wii u version is potentially going to be the more "traditional" smash, while the 3ds will probably be the "new" and "brave" one. i am ignoring the fact that at least ten (or more, i highly doubt we are seeing everything, i do not even know how many secrets will be crammed in) will be recycled from brawl and melee, because the new stages excite me all the same. done rambling though :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash Bros. 3DS won't be a glorified beta. I think it'll offer a new game experience (because it's on a handheld) , compared to the Wii U game, but that's just me. Like SuperSah said, it'll be a complete game.

Top Bottom