• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(3DS) Questions regarding the bike

Edwerd

Smash Rookie
Hello, i'm what you guys would usually call a "scrub" at this game and i'm interested in knowing how you experienced Wario players use the bike.

How often do you Wario fanatics use it ?
I usually just spam it to make players who sit and throw projectiles react to it so i have a chance to approach. I saw some online spectator replays and people don't use it as often as i do.

Are there any good combos that you can do with it?
So far, what i can do is hit someone with the bike, jump out of it and do a corkscrew to hit them on the ground, but i do miss alot. Do you guys know any good combos?

Is it too obvious and makes me vulnerable?

Is it viable to use it as a grabbable weapon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkX5cZRQoI

In this video that i found on the Wario video thread at the 1:05 mark the Wario player goes off the stage briefly, uses the bike and comes back, the bike drops on the floor as he jumps, the guy grabs and throws the bike up and it hits the Villager as he returns to the stage.

So do you wario Players think this is a good strategy? Do you know any good ones where you use the bike as a grabbable weapon?

Overall i just want some tips.

Doctor Destructo

Smash Journeyman
The bike in Smash 4 is AWESOME. It has received quite a few quality of life buffs to make its playstyle much smoother.

If you weren't already aware, the wheelie you can do while riding it now actually serves a purpose outside of looking cool and creating death-vortexes on Smashville, if you slam your front wheel down on someone after pulling it up, it becomes a very potent KO move. With the right timing, you can even do it off the stage at someone. It can kill as early as ~80%. As well, if you ram your bike into someone, and immediately pull up to wheelie, it results in a two-hit combo that deals ~19% damage.

There's also no waiting period after you lose your bike before you can pull another out now, as soon as it leaves the stage or is destroyed you should see a tiny orange blink on Wario to indicate you can use it again (I'm sure this can result in some hilarious multi-bike recoveries towards the bottom of the stage with some practice). You still can't pull another out while your bike is laying around the stage though.

As for combos, there's not a huge number of true-combos off the Wario Bike while riding it, but the Heavy Bike custom lets you bury people that you run over with the Bike (at the expense of a slower travel speed and having pretty much no recovery off of it), and you can get a guaranteed aerial follow-up off of the grounding if you jump off the Bike before it runs them over. Speedy Bike is just not good, don't bother with it.

The Bike's main issue with repeated use is how telegraphed it is, your movement patterns are very restricted while riding it and it can be easy to anticipate and punish if your opponent knows how it works. It is good to approach with on projectile spam, but you can also just frustrate the zoner by eating them instead. However, there are a couple of ways to trump opponent's reactions to your bike too, wheelie-ing can smack away certain aerial approaches that try to knock Wario off the bike, and turning around just before hitting your opponent ensures they only get tapped by your back wheel and that they don't get to shield-grab you off it. It's all a matter of knowing when and how to use the Bike, just like with any other move. You'll get a feel for it.

The Bike as a tossable projectile, though? BOSS. As long as you're not fighting Villager (since he can pocket it and disable half your recovery for a good 15+ seconds), it makes a very potent item to hurl at your enemies, using the method you described to make it available for picking up (since you can't voluntarily spin out anymore, and your Bike almost always careens off the side of the stage whenever you bring it out normally). Its best uses are tossing straight up (or bouncing straight down off the ground) as your opponent approaches you, and as they try to whack you the Bike will land on their head, pogoing off of them a couple of times before breaking and giving you ample opportunity for a free hit, and for edgeguarding, as each pogo-bounce spikes the player down more and more (it's kinda like Little Mac's silly neutral-air gimp). Bike-spiking people off the stage also tends to do huge chunks of damage if it doesn't kill them outright.

Edwerd

Smash Rookie
Oh wow, you seem quite experienced, i mean, you main Wario in pretty much every game. Can i add you somewhere for some more tips? Or for training purposes? I really think Wario has potential.

I'll try and practice some of the techniques you mentioned on training mode, one by one.

Last edited:

Doctor Destructo

Smash Journeyman
I've always been a big Wario fan, and have been itching for him to be in since Melee, so when he was finally confirmed, I sought to main him in all playable forms.

However, my Smash 4 knowledge is nothing special, mostly a lot of me parroting stuff I've been researching, as I've only been playing my friend's 3DS for actual practice so far and have been waiting for Black Friday to get a Wii U (I'm a penny-pincher, so I figured I'd skip out on buying a 3DS and wait for the best deal, plus I'm a GC controller purist). You're still welcome to add me, I'll put up my codes and such once I purchase my Wii U next week.

Edwerd

Smash Rookie
Ah, it's alright i dont have a Wii U anyways, I might be 18 but i don't have a job to pay for stuff so, buying a Wii U to play a game i already own is unthinkable.

Top Bottom