• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3ds control setup?

Exxalium

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a good control setup. I currently have tilt jumping off, jump set to both bumpers, and x for grab, y for shield. Although, I'm having trouble short hopping which makes Captain Falcon kinda rough, and it doesn't help donkey kong much either. What are your guys setups?

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Default except L is Jump (but I use Y mostly for jump, this is just for glide tossing and I prefer to use L when jumping OoS) and X is Grab. Tap Jump off obviously.

I personally find it much harder to shorthop with L/R than X/Y/A/B, but whatever works for you.

Exxalium

Smash Rookie
Default except L is Jump (but I use Y mostly for jump, this is just for glide tossing and I prefer to use L when jumping OoS) and X is Grab. Tap Jump off obviously.

I personally find it much harder to shorthop with L/R than X/Y/A/B, but whatever works for you.
Yeah that's what I'm actually running now. I'm lookin into Maining Villager currently and short hopping is soooo vital for that fair harass

Colonel Shubb Shubb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4484-9916-4119
Default, and yeah, no tap jump, because it's the devil. I tried to play around with other options but my muscle memory kept screwing me up. Just got too use to the default from the demo.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Tap jump off. L for shield, R for jump (since that's the side Z was on for GCC). XYAB Default, it's much easier to SH with XY buttons rather than shoulders.

I disabled tap jump and swapped L and Y, so Y grabs and L jumps; though I mainly use X to jump. It's a very cozy layout to me.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Shields on bumpers, jump on Y, grab on X, A and B stay the same.

I literally just turned off tap to jump (honestly didnt even notice that) - I instantly can see how its going to improve my play.

Jibo23

Smash Rookie
I play with the default set-up, but I switched the L(Grab) and R(Shield) buttons. I usually play with the gamecube controller, but because of the grab and shield inputs being reversed on the 3DS, it just messed up the way I played.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
My setup is pretty simple. No tap jump enabled, L is my shield button, and my R is grab. I tried to simulate it as much as possible to my Wii U setup, or setups in prior Smash Games.

ShyGuyLuigi

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShyGuyLuigi
3DS FC
1848-1777-8456
I use a configuration as close as I can get to the GameCube controller's default layout feel-wise, and it's been working pretty good for me. (Feels a whole lot better in my opinion than the default 3DS controls) L=Shield, R=Grab, X=Jump, Y=Special, B=Attack, A=Jump. Also, Tap Jump turned off.

YorkTC

Smash Rookie
I always turn tap jump. Try adapting to using R+A for grabs, dodges, and item tosses.

Link24242

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4184-3214-6215
My current scheme is A = Attack, B = Special, X = Grab, Y = Jump (I never use it), L = Shield, R = Jump, and Tap Jump Off. Short hopping with a shoulder button is tricky, but it does reduce the workload of your thumb a little bit.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
1: Tap Jump off.
But if you would like, I'd make Y grab/throw and L Jump. Because My L button is broken (won't react until I press Very Hard) and it is a little easier to use when fighting.

Hoth

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-8835-8379
I'm really, REALLY comfortable with the way i set up my controls which is:
Tap jump off, obviously
X jump
Y shield
& R grab

Top Bottom