• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.6 Rumoured Nerfs

Bag'O'Nuts

PM4LIFE
So I've heard that Roy's Dtilt and Up-B hang time are getting nerfed in PM 3.6. I'd like to hear what the Roy community thinks about it.

Personally, I'm a little worried about the Up-B hang time because as everyone knows, Roy's recovery isn't on the high tier list to begin with and that hang time has saved my butt more times then I can count. Do you think it warrants a nerf? I'm less worried about Dtilt because it is quite powerful already so a small nerf may not be so bad. However I think Roy 3.5 is pretty darn close to being a perfectly balanced character.

What changes do you think should be made if any?

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Honestly i think those two changes would be the most understandable and most logical nerfs if he were to get any. upB has a surprising amount of variation in direction vs marth and the hangtime mixed with the strong hitbox makes it incredibly hard to edgeguard for a lot of people. Despite people claiming it's "garbageness" i think his recovery gets more crap than it should. Dtilt change will make it harder for less adept players at getting free combo starters while more adept players will be able to adjust, probably rewarding those that actually DI it correctly and not give free Fair combo starters.

Overall i'm not too concerned. basic grab and tech chase gameplan would stay the same. I will be curious if this happens how it'll affect mid percent Dtilt > Bair kills. Probably would make it easier to DI out of the Dtilt and dodge bairs...This may mean we're going to have to incorporate more Dair popup> Bair or flare blade for kills.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
the tip change just means that you have to space a teensy bit closer. i doubt you get many combos from it, but it still pops them into the air which allows for more read based follow ups. the up b hang time is just gonna mean that roy can be ledge hogged like a normal character. atm, hes a pretty big outlier in that category.

there are two other nerfs that ive heard lunchables mention. one is the FAF on the backwards hit of his 4th DED swing, which causes him to be pretty damn safe on shield if he makes it that far. the other is the KBG on his dair tip, which is the only thing ive heard him mention that i dont think needs to be touched, because i feel it SHOULD be as rewarding as it currently is.

bassically to sum it up, its this

confirmed nerfs already:
1. dtilt tip BKB 90 > 70 (matches melee)
2. up b hang time decreased

nerfs mentioned by lunchables (not confirmed, but i guess could be likely)
3. xxx< FAF increase
4. dair tip KBG decreased

even if you do all these 4 things, hes still top tier most likely, if not high tier guarenteed.

edit: the tip dtilt thing also means you can actually ASDI down and CC the tip hit. atm you have to be actually crouching instead of just holding down during an action to CC his dtilt. gives characters some additional counterplay options at that range, but again, just space a bit closer and youll get the same results.

Edit2: fourth point should have said dair tip, not dtilt tip

Last edited:

KiwiAce

Smash Rookie
the d-tilt nerf actually seems good. At higher percents it'll be easier to d-tilt bair.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
it will be good for that purpose, though you sacrifice tip-ranged dominance against asdi CCing. i think its a fair trade off. the other one that will be potent is dtilt > neutral b. at the percents and with DI that would bair difficult to get, neutral b will most likely kill.

its certainly not a buff, even with the trade off, but its really not that bad of a nerf either.

Treesper

Smash Rookie
I think that with the way Roy is already set up as a character, he will be effective no matter what happens to his dtilt, his up b hangtime, etc. Personally, I feel vulnerable when i'm in the up b hangtime because anybody good can just sidestep the up b and then do whatever they want since Roy's vulnerable for a solid amount of frames. If anything, I could see the range on his up tilt getting nerfed.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
the problem with it now is that you have the option to under go that hang time, or you can hold down to quickly fall to the ledge. theyre making it so that you dont have the option to do so, and you always fall quickly.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
the tip change just means that you have to space a teensy bit closer. i doubt you get many combos from it, but it still pops them into the air which allows for more read based follow ups. the up b hang time is just gonna mean that roy can be ledge hogged like a normal character. atm, hes a pretty big outlier in that category.

there are two other nerfs that ive heard lunchables mention. one is the FAF on the backwards hit of his 4th DED swing, which causes him to be pretty damn safe on shield if he makes it that far. the other is the KBG on his dair tip, which is the only thing ive heard him mention that i dont think needs to be touched, because i feel it SHOULD be as rewarding as it currently is.

bassically to sum it up, its this

confirmed nerfs already:
1. dtilt tip BKB 90 > 70 (matches melee)
2. up b hang time decreased

3. xxx< FAF increase
4. dtilt tip KBG decreased

even if you do all these 4 things, hes still top tier most likely, if not high tier guarenteed.

edit: the tip dtilt thing also means you can actually ASDI down and CC the tip hit. atm you have to be actually crouching instead of just holding down during an action to CC his dtilt. gives characters some additional counterplay options at that range, but again, just space a bit closer and youll get the same results.

Can I get a source on the confirmed nerfs?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Dtilt and up b needs can be seen in the 3.6 trailer. The other two are a bit of lose speculation.

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
is dtilt BKB being lowered an actual nerf? it seems like that would actually help combo floaties at a higher range of percents

even the rumored KBG growth nerf doesn't seem like a nerf for the same reasons

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

3. xxx< FAF increase
4. dtilt tip KBG decreased
1. I did not confirm or deny these for the release of 3.6, I simply threw them out as what I would do to the character

2. I did not suggest to decrease KBG on the tip >___> I suggested to match D tilt to melee, aka decrease BKB.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
1. I did not confirm or deny these for the release of 3.6, I simply threw them out as what I would do to the character

2. I did not suggest to decrease KBG on the tip >___> I suggested to match D tilt to melee, aka decrease BKB.
I know, that's why I wrote that they weren't confirmed. Also, that should definitely say dair for the fourth nerf, not dtilt. That's a typo on my part. A while back, you definitely did mention dair tip KBG as something you'd possibly change

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
I think that Roy is exactly what he should be in 3.6, they should buff the other characters a little more. I hope they bring people up to his level instead of bringing him down.

Top Bottom