• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 Weegee HYPE (Light Shields and Shield ASDI)!

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Yo guys, in case you haven't seen the blog post, check this out!
http://projectmgame.com/en/news/blogpost-8-system-changes

Update: Woops, my bad, no Light Shielding...I got too hype this morning haha.

We're about to get the greatest buff we could ever want...the ability to control our slide in shield! This means:

During shield pressure we can Shield ASDI our way in for a grab (or if close enough, even adjust for Shoruken!)

Matchups like Marth won't require near as much momentum on Shield Slide to "get in".

Since we can slide REALLY far with Light Shielding, we can actually retreat out of Shield Pressure. This will change Weegee from a defenseless Glass Canon to a character that has options in our most challenging matchups like ZSS. (This can still be done to an extent with Shield ASDI).

And hey, there's more if you noticed:

Potential faster traveling USmash/movement options via DACUS.

We do get one notable nerf:

No longer can "command grab" via footstool->Air Dodge->Grab if someone waits below you holding their shield up...however it's possible we may get some legit combo options with the new tweaking of footstool bounce heights.

How're you guys feeling about this? Hype? Stoked? Super Stoked? Cause I'm freaking super stoked knowing the day and age of the 4 stocking Luigi is upon us!

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I just read the blogpost now, I'm very interested in these changes.. Veeryy interested..

Thing is, I don't really know how to DACUS mainly because Luigi doesn't need it.. But I guess I'll have to figure it out now! :p

The ability to shield slide towards somebody seems freaking amazing for competitive play. No more do people HAVE to stay in the spot and wait for a break in shield pressure to make a move - people can plan where to go from within their shield!

I don't really think a lot of people used this command grab you speak of.. Since nobody that I know of has even thought about using footstooling competitively unless it's for style points.
Ughughgugh.. Overall I'm pretty hyped. Things are changing good.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I think this new shielding mechanic is one of the best buffs we could ask for as Luigi players. Since Luigi has such great throws and we rely on them for great combo setups, this is a dream come true for approaches and shield pressure.

I do not believe that DACUS will be used much, but it won't stop me from figuring out the timing and what not. I'd rather just wavedash to upsmash lol.

I have never heard of this footstool grabbing technique, but I see it as something flashy when there are other options that would be safer. Still an interesting concept though.

Who is hyped to read the notes on Luigi's changes? I can't imagine Luigi would get many nerfs, if anything I would imagine that he'd get subtle buffs. I heard someone say that Luigi's recovery should get nerfed and I told them that they were crazy because I feel that Luigi's recovery is extremely punishable.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I think this new shielding mechanic is one of the best buffs we could ask for as Luigi players. Since Luigi has such great throws and we rely on them for great combo setups, this is a dream come true for approaches and shield pressure.

I do not believe that DACUS will be used much, but it won't stop me from figuring out the timing and what not. I'd rather just wavedash to upsmash lol.

I have never heard of this footstool grabbing technique, but I see it as something flashy when there are other options that would be safer. Still an interesting concept though.

Who is hyped to read the notes on Luigi's changes? I can't imagine Luigi would get many nerfs, if anything I would imagine that he'd get subtle buffs. I heard someone say that Luigi's recovery should get nerfed and I told them that they were crazy because I feel that Luigi's recovery is extremely punishable.
We can all hope that the Weegee commnuity's plea of adding left facing Wave Scuttle will happen and we'll see an age Swag. Seriously, have any of you guys tried doing the instant wave land from ledge, Wave Scuttle back, grab, Down Throw, Bair, Bair, B Reversal Fireball, Dair(Metor via near button)?

My face when I pulled this off

I really hope he doesn't receive a nerf to recovery...he's pretty much dead against a smart play who actually knows the Luigi matchup off stage...but hey, PM gonna do what PM team feels is best, and who knows, it may be for the best for some unseen reason lol.

Also, dunno about you guys, but I'm totally going to host a Smash Fest to go for like, 24 hours straight for the release of PM 3.5 haha.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
We can all hope that the Weegee commnuity's plea of adding left facing Wave Scuttle will happen and we'll see an age Swag. Seriously, have any of you guys tried doing the instant wave land from ledge, Wave Scuttle back, grab, Down Throw, Bair, Bair, B Reversal Fireball, Dair(Metor via near button)?
I thought I was the only one who implemented wave scuttle into my Luigi game. It literally wins me games ALL the time! We do indeed need the left facing one though. I literally thought I was the only one though lol.

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
I just read the article and im very excited for 3.5.

quick question tho, what is a wave scuttle ?

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
When facing the right direction, wave dash and then immediately crawl backwards. The bigger the wave dash, the faster the crawl will be. It's pretty much a quicker second wave dash that you can react out of faster. Good for mix-ups and good for baiting.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
That actually sounds really fun lol. Are there videos of this ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwQCF6s8THM
There is the man who discovered it, but it is people like Broasty and I who have turned it into a piece of art! It truly is the new Luigi meta. All Luigi's should learn it.

I will try and post a video of one of my matches where I use it once this week's videos of the tournament I enter get posted.

Last edited:

otek

Smash Rookie
Oh man, Luigi will be so scary with the new update! I already think that Luigi is good as he is, but the Shield DI mechanic will make him even more scary as you guys already said (UpB oos lol)

(gathering posts to post video links in video thread)

otek

Smash Rookie
Instant Waveland: When hanging on the ledge, press AWAY, not down to get off the ledge, then do your double jump and immediately airdodge horizontally.
If done right, Luigi will do an almost instant waveland from the ledge and will still have invincibility to avoid any attacks and attack on his own!

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
So uh...we still don't have Bi-Directional Wave-Scuttle. :/

On the other hand, what's everyone's experiences with the new Dash Attack? I'm seeing reliable edge pushes and it seems like depending on where you start the attack on the enemy's body depends on whether or not you get a follow up (also dependent on the percent). Seeming like CG grab tech chasing using Luigi's signature slidy movement has been giving me great results, allows him to play as a really good grappler that punishes really hard.

I honestly am planning the learn another main to handle Zelda. Only thing appearing to be effective is fireballing, wiff punishing with WD->Jab Combo or FTilt. Not that it can't be done...but you're pretty hopeless on killing in any safe manner until 160%. Seriously, I've got patience...but this is just on a whole other level. Try to chase her to combo and you get Baired in the face and put off stage.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's Dash attack got the little extra push that I expressed wanting. However, I don't believe that the last hit is guaranteed based on my experience. I miss being able to do some of my cyclone follow-ups but I understand.

Maybe next time wave-scuttle.

1+1=3

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I haven't really noticed any changes other than the dash attack differences and the aesthetic changes, so what else changed?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
A command grab is any grab other than the normal (Z) one. Examples are Ganondorf's Flame Choke, Kirby's Swallow, and Bowser's Koopa Klaw. Luigi doesn't have one.

Top Bottom