• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.05 Training Mode Wishlist?

u hapy wit traning mod

• no

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • yee

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

gasparinmaximus

Smash Rookie
I think the Project M community is a highly appreciative one, so I'd like to focus on something which could use development: training mode. As it is, it is great for learning tech skill in slow motion, and practicing l-cancel timing with starman to emulate shield pressure. It's weak, however, in that players are often in the dark (on an intuitive level) as to what options are safe. Smashboards is an excellent resource for determining what options a player ought to pick on an intellectual level, but Smash is a highly habit-based game. Training mode ought to support a player's development of good habits in play before the player has to completely re-learn the game since they got wrecked for choosing bad options, built on bad habits, in a tournament. By the way I'm not denying the value in getting destroyed by a better player, and recognizing why they were better. If the PMBR could create a training mode that resembles the Melee Hack Pack, with P:M characters and mechanics, AGHH!

The deets:
-Infinite shields
-CPU GrabOOS, U-smash OOS, N-airOOS, you get the idea. (Is your shield pressure/spacing badass?#GETONDAT)
-CPU buffer random c-stick direction
-CPU throw in programmable direction (practice DI, determine how far you can go in a matchup)
-CPU flashes when they can act out of tumble animation/ while in tumble animation, CPU is a certain color (darker or lighter) so they flash back into their normal color when they can act
-"Help" screen adjustable opacity

Ideas will come along.

I don't think training mode will create an amazing player by itself, but it helps in that it can improve a player's sense of options in a situation, as well as technical ability. I do think, however, that practicing good responses to challenging situations will make a player respond better in actual matches. This can allow players who care about tech skill to get better at the game by jumping in on an intuitively technical level, and will make some of Smashboards's awesome intellectual advice more useful in that it a player can learn why it works on a private level.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Basically everything you can do in the 20XX hack pack is on my wishlist

Ionsword

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionsword
I think the Project M community is a highly appreciative one, so I'd like to focus on something which could use development: training mode. As it is, it is great for learning tech skill in slow motion, and practicing l-cancel timing with starman to emulate shield pressure. It's weak, however, in that players are often in the dark (on an intuitive level) as to what options are safe. Smashboards is an excellent resource for determining what options a player ought to pick on an intellectual level, but Smash is a highly habit-based game. Training mode ought to support a player's development of good habits in play before the player has to completely re-learn the game since they got wrecked for choosing bad options, built on bad habits, in a tournament. By the way I'm not denying the value in getting destroyed by a better player, and recognizing why they were better. If the PMBR could create a training mode that resembles the Melee Hack Pack, with P:M characters and mechanics, AGHH!

The deets:
-Infinite shields
-CPU GrabOOS, U-smash OOS, N-airOOS, you get the idea. (Is your shield pressure/spacing badass?#GETONDAT)
-CPU buffer random c-stick direction
-CPU throw in programmable direction (practice DI, determine how far you can go in a matchup)
-CPU flashes when they can act out of tumble animation/ while in tumble animation, CPU is a certain color (darker or lighter) so they flash back into their normal color when they can act
-"Help" screen adjustable opacity

Ideas will come along.

I don't think training mode will create an amazing player by itself, but it helps in that it can improve a player's sense of options in a situation, as well as technical ability. I do think, however, that practicing good responses to challenging situations will make a player respond better in actual matches. This can allow players who care about tech skill to get better at the game by jumping in on an intuitively technical level, and will make some of Smashboards's awesome intellectual advice more useful in that it a player can learn why it works on a private level.
Yeah that would be very useful to use especially since this is the year 20XX

Y-L

Smash Champion
The training mode options are much more limited than in melee because Brawl doesn't have a debug mode.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
As sort of a flipside to this, it'd be cool to see a 2/3 speed mode in normal matches. I practice in 2/3 sometimes because it gives me a little more time to think and apply during the match as opposed to just doing analysis after the fact and trying to apply it in the next match.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
longer duration for items in training mode

i'm trying to do some item setups ala Keys2019, but items only last like -28 seconds, so its impossible to get anything done

Last edited:
Top Bottom